No announcement yet.

"Selfe Defense=Rape Culture"-Feminists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What else would you suggest I add to make my position clearer on the matter? I thought that in my initial wall of text, I expressed my own stance and its distinction from either party.

That being, self defense lessons are important but fail to address a lot of scenarios in which sexual assault and/or rape occurs on college campuses. Furthermore, it's reactive to a problem that ought to be addressed earlier in the way that boys and girls are taught about consent and rape because many toxic beliefs and practices that permeate American culture as a whole lead people to sexually harass and assault each other without even realizing what they are doing is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by strikistanian View Post
      What else would you suggest I add to make my position clearer on the matter? I thought that in my initial wall of text, I expressed my own stance and its distinction from either party.
      This is so out of place I have no clue what you are asking.

Comment

I used to help my friend teach women's self defense(rape prevention). We actually traught dirty tricks to get away. Fingernails to senvise areas of the male body. Ear slaps anything to give them a second or two to run away screaming FIRE at the top of their lungs. People will respond to fire faster than a call for help. I did not have any of the women out hunting for rapists to beat up but more conifident in themselves . Joe

Comment

im not sure what senvise is, but i dont think i want a woman senvising me with her nails. i think. or maybe i do?

and... ear slaps? fo real?

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
            This is so out of place I have no clue what you are asking.
            Oh. Then I have no clue what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by strikistanian View Post
              Oh. Then I have no clue what you meant.
              Sure you do. I took a small portion of your post and disagreed. Why you think you need to clarify your entire position, from your first post, makes absolutely no sense.

Comment

Sure you do. I took a small portion of your post and disagreed. Why you think you need to clarify your entire position, from your first post, makes absolutely no sense.
                I don't think you understand how much I get punched in the head. I seriously had a horrific reading comprehension fail there.

Upon re-reading I understand what you were saying. Herp Derp

Comment

I'm really against self-defence classes and teaching women self-defence!

The reason is very simple, in Self-defence classes:
                  - you will learn some dirty moves, but no follow up techniques when the dirty moves fail
                  - focus on the wrong range of fighting, a rapist isn't there for some kickboxing, it all happens in the grappling range
                  - enhances the paranoia feeling/demonizing men in general
                  - gives a wrong sense of security
                  - rarely teach situational awareness
                  - almost never focus on the familiar rapist, but always on the unknown evil ones in the dark alley
                  - and in some cases, the self-defence classes are more expensive than regular martial arts classes, so a nice additional cash cow

It would be better if women
                  A) would follow some theoretical classes at highschool AND college explaining situational awareness, that most rapist are known to the victim long before the rape, how to spot a sexual predator, emergency lines to contact after a rape, the law for such cases...

B) get 1 year free training at a Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or (Sport)SAMBO class and a reduction on the 2nd year (Only grappling classes that contain finishing techniques in their style, so no Freestyle Wrestling or Greco-Roman Wrestling).

In that 1 year of training, they would learn better to defend themself against a resisting opponent in a healthier environment, which could mean that more women would stay training in general.

But that's just my €0.02

Comment

Just have to pick at a couple of things:
                    You can't spot a "sexual predator." Even trained profiler's get shit wrong. Also, you are thinking the red-man suit wearing rape SD classes, I consider BJJ in the realm of self defense. Miss America mentioned TKD, which normally isn't SD based paranoia.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised accessing lethal or non-lethal weapons isn't more of a theme in female SD. Too much of a commitment?

Comment

Lethal and non-lethal weapons take a certain level of commitment because both add harsher violence. As I stated earlier in the thread, most rapes are by people you know. Stranger rape is actually a rarity, pretty much the exact opposite of all of the cop shows in America and other media. So, with all of the knowledge flying around you'd have to teach women to maim or kill someone they know. IMO, it is much easier to choke a motherfucker to pass out. I've seen women grapple much easier than I've seen them actually able to punch someone.

Self defense around grappling is the best IMO, with awareness to a certain extent. Again, awareness is lower on my list because most rapes are acquaintances on up to family. I'd argue most women know to stay out of dangerous areas. It's sad because you'd basically have to follow the feminists script of fear mongering.
                        Last edited by It is Fake; 6/19/2014 9:48am, .

Comment

Originally posted by DARPAChief View Post
                          I'm kind of surprised accessing lethal or non-lethal weapons isn't more of a theme in female SD. Too much of a commitment?
                          There's a game I've started playing with my girlfriend and her girlfriend- at any time, any one of us can pull out their folding knife and snap it open, and as soon as it happens the other(s) have to pull out their own and do the same, as fast as possible. Its taught them to not keep weapons buried under a bunch of crap in a purse, etc.

A guy I fought at the Dog Bros gathering (Chief Toki) posted a mean little weapon made out of a fork, that he made for his daughter who was training to be a nurse and felt kind of unsafe traveling to night school.

Comment

Lethal and non-lethal weapons take a certain level of commitment because both add harsher violence.
                            That doesn't bode well for those classes that don't teach weapons but do teach eye gouges, biting off dongs, crushing windpipes barehanded etc. Seems to me that they might as well teach to use tools that can do those awful things efficiently at least.

But yeah, if they're gonna train they're probably better off choking a motherfucker.

Comment

Teaching women's self defense courses was my full-time career during the late '80s-early '90s. A typical course would run for 24 hours spread out over 5-8 weeks.

I used the "padded attacker" scenario-based training model, teaching students to become as proficient and versatile as possible with a very limited number of "techniques" - head controls, eye gouges, biting, palm-heel thrusts, knee drops and so-on. Students were exposed to sparring, or rather to freestyle, resistant, adrenalized self defense training, as quickly as possible. Awareness, assertiveness and escape drills were given significant class time and taken just as seriously as the more obvious, physical stuff.

These courses offer a "fighting chance" to women who, with the best will in the world, are not athletes and are very highly unlikely to ever enroll in a martial arts class. Sadly, though, the people who most need to learn how to fight almost never take that first step, because fundamentally they don't believe that they are worth defending.

Comment

Every women's self defense course I've helped out with primarily focuses on awareness training, readiness, and how to be smart and carry yourself confidently.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X