More Anti-Grapple !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Anti-Grapple !

This is fallout from the "Kata Everywhere" thread http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=123101&page=6

I got to wondering if my data on Kito Ryu Ju Jutsu, one of the "root arts" of Kodokan Judo was out of date. Not that I was ever an expert on it in the place...

Which led me to Nisei Kito Ryu Jiu Jitsu (that's right, jiu jitsu), which led me to the National Martial Association. Which led me to these videos.

http://www.nationalmartialartsassoci...AA-Videos.html

Which reinforced to me the need to actually seriously train in grappling in order to a.) Grapple effectively 2.) Counter grappling attacks (effectively).

Anyway, enjoy !

BTW, I've rarely seen so many too-long belts in my entire life.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

You can always spot the people who don't have cable.

Comment

Video 1: That's not how to do a single leg. Defense is invalid.

Video 2: That's still not how to do a single leg. Defense is invalid.

Video 3: That's not how a child is supposed to do a single leg. Defense is invalid, and underaged.

Sigh. It's like the Mony Pythin sketch, where the DI instructs the recruits on defense against an attacker armed with various sorts of common fruit.
      "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
      DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
      Originally posted by Devil
      Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
      Originally posted by Plasma
      At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
      Originally posted by SoulMechanic
      Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
        Video 1: That's not how to do a single leg. Defense is invalid.

Video 2: That's still not how to do a single leg. Defense is invalid.

Video 3: That's not how a child is supposed to do a single leg. Defense is invalid, and underaged.

Sigh. It's like the Mony Pythin sketch, where the DI instructs the recruits on defense against an attacker armed with various sorts of common fruit.
        Glad you got the point ! Ineffective defense to ineffective attack does not compute.

However, an effective defense (one trained against a skilled grappler) would work against a poor or unskilled attack.

And what's with all the knife defenses against an unarmed attacker I'm seeing on UTube?

Guy grabs my lapel or takes a swing at me, and I pull out my Spyderco Civilian and slash him into submission.

How about I'm grappling with some idiot (in da street, of course), and maneuver to draw my pocket knife while still in a clinch and proceed to stab/slash him to escape ?

And I'm not talking 100 lb woman being dragged off into a car or dark alley, either.
        Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          And what's with all the knife defenses against an unarmed attacker I'm seeing on UTube?

Guy grabs my lapel or takes a swing at me, and I pull out my Spyderco Civilian and slash him into submission.

How about I'm grappling with some idiot (in da street, of course), and maneuver to draw my pocket knife while still in a clinch and proceed to stab/slash him to escape ?
          I think its mostly fodder so they can go "See?!? The street is DIFFERENT so we train DIFFERENTLY!"

Comment

Why is it I get as far as seeing "Shihan" in the title, and I lose interest.
            '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

At least those attacks would work.

I can also recommend the 7.62 rifle from cover, summoning a mob with torches and pitchforks, and calling in airstrikes.

DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
              Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
              At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                I can also recommend the 7.62 rifle from cover, summoning a mob with torches and pitchforks, and calling in airstrikes.
                Yeah, any of those techniques will counter a wrist grab.

Comment

For fuck sake two minutes on you tube with the proper search will show you how to change levels and so a single or double properly. Its not an overly complicated technique.
                  If I where to sit their and dream up defense against certain attacks I sure the hell would want to make sure they work on the actual attack.
                  I usually chalk this sort of shit up to ignorance but fuck this is the age of information its just not that hard to find the information you need to just do shit right.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                    For fuck sake two minutes on you tube with the proper search will show you how to change levels and so a single or double properly. Its not an overly complicated technique.
                    If I where to sit their and dream up defense against certain attacks I sure the hell would want to make sure they work on the actual attack.
                    I usually chalk this sort of shit up to ignorance but fuck this is the age of information its just not that hard to find the information you need to just do shit right.
                    Wait, so do you think the video in the OP is good or bad?

Comment

I'm gonna stir up a hornets nest here, but that technique (ive heard it called a quarter nelson) is NOT actually a terrible defense from a single leg.

It's certainly not the best technique either, but it was one of the first BJJ techniques I ever learned and still pull it off with fairly high percentages. Against decent sparring partners no less.

I would like to see those demos have the uke actually resist a little more, and the instructor to sprawl a little more and get lower, but in all these are definitely NOT anti-grapple videos. It's a legitimate technique that could use a little better instruction.

Comment

Defense exhibit A)
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiDCIz7XHNE

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                          Glad you got the point ! Ineffective defense to ineffective attack does not compute.

However, an effective defense (one trained against a skilled grappler) would work against a poor or unskilled attack.

And I'm not talking 100 lb woman being dragged off into a car or dark alley, either.

Zimmerman. Prooving that unarmed kids are a lethal threat or something.
                          Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                          http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by elipson View Post
                            I'm gonna stir up a hornets nest here, but that technique (ive heard it called a quarter nelson) is NOT actually a terrible defense from a single leg.

It's certainly not the best technique either, but it was one of the first BJJ techniques I ever learned and still pull it off with fairly high percentages. Against decent sparring partners no less.

I would like to see those demos have the uke actually resist a little more, and the instructor to sprawl a little more and get lower, but in all these are definitely NOT anti-grapple videos. It's a legitimate technique that could use a little better instruction.
                            I agree. My first thought was "wow, thats a shitty single leg, but that defense makes sense". Everything I have heard (mostly from MMA commentators, admittedly) is that swimming for the underhook (or quarter nelson in this case) and pushing the head down is the basic defense for the single leg. The problem is that the actual attack is so miserably poor that you would never learn to pull it off against an actual grappler.

In the end the advice to learn to defeat grappling by learning to grapple from actual grapplers holds true.

Comment

I only watched the videos long enough to see a godawful fake single-leg. The longest I lasted was nine seconds. As above, the defense can be legit, the instruction is not.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X