Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nihao
    replied
    Umm... in my opinion anyone who says Qi is anything but air is probably not legit. When i just left China someone talked to me about qi and i was like wtf mate. Then after a while it seems most people outside of China thinks Qi is like some magical energy that you can hadouken people with

Leave a comment:

• plasma
    replied
    Monteiro got his Black Black from De La Riva. Very legit. Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• NightsWatch
    replied
    So I took Plasma's advice, did some research, and found a place teaching Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Michiana. It's called Midwest Martial Arts. They're an associate of the Marcello C. Monteiro BJJ Association. Is this well regarded school?

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Incidentally one of my BJJ instructors is now offering jujutsu for law enforcement seminars in New Jersey.

Please PM me if interested and I will pass your info along.

Serious inquiries only or else.

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    Being in San Diego every gym here has a healthy helping of Military and LEO members in them.
    One gym had a fair number of SEALs training at it. Did they advertise it at all? Nope.
    I train with 2 or 3 cops, several Navy, and a MCMAP instructor, and only 1 of them ever brings it up cause he teaches defensive tactics and likes to share training stories with my teacher.

I also trained with a cop or 2 in a mcdojo years ago. LEOs don't always seek the best training.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    Being in San Diego every gym here has a healthy helping of Military and LEO members in them.
    One gym had a fair number of SEALs training at it. Did they advertise it at all? Nope.
    Quickest way to lose those types as customers for sure. No cop wants to be pointed out while off duty doing his own thing.

Leave a comment:

• goodlun
    replied
    Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Who wants somebody who merely claims to teach MA to law enforcement?

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by The Cap View Post
    I want to see more new members like this guy this coming summer.

Oh Christ, I'm no striker but even I remember that terrible defense:

That blocking method is just begging for a straight jab cross to the face. 360 degrees of coverage is only useful if you're trying to defend yourself in two dimensions; movement in reality is conducted in three dimensions and would require (help me out here mathematicians) 41,253 square degrees of defense. Which can be done:

Blocking is an extremely effective technique, but skip on this Okinawan Jujitsu garbage because they clearly know nothing about it or any other facet of fighting.
    That knife defense looks to me to invite getting your forearm cut to the bone. I'm not sure what the best sort of defense to an unrealistic telegraphed overhead stab might be, though.

And, even in computer animations, just as in the vast majority of RBSD demos, the attacker doesn't really attempt to hit the defender.

argh!

Leave a comment:

• The Cap
    replied
    Originally posted by NightsWatch View Post
    I have no experience in martial arts. [...] I've been informed that there are a lot of seriously lousy martial arts schools in the US, [...] The instructor's a guy named Rick Hamilton. He was featured in a South Bend Tribune article [...] the article contains a lot of posturing [...] Hamilton was also on More Than Human demonstrating something called "Combat Ki." As near as I can tell, this is even more posturing. With that said, it seems Hamilton does have a record of teaching martial arts to law enforcement. Of course, cops aren't known for being the best fighters on the planet [...] Hamilton's being a good self-promoter doesn't mean he can't be a good martial arts instructor.
    I want to see more new members like this guy this coming summer.

Originally posted by NightsWatch View Post
    The blocking was similar to the "360 defense" from Discovery Channel's Human Weapon.

As I have no prior experience in martial arts, I have no real knowledge of whether or not blocking and wristlocks are considered effective techniques or not.
    Oh Christ, I'm no striker but even I remember that terrible defense:

That blocking method is just begging for a straight jab cross to the face. 360 degrees of coverage is only useful if you're trying to defend yourself in two dimensions; movement in reality is conducted in three dimensions and would require (help me out here mathematicians) 41,253 square degrees of defense. Which can be done:

Blocking is an extremely effective technique, but skip on this Okinawan Jujitsu garbage because they clearly know nothing about it or any other facet of fighting.

Leave a comment:

• thehonestone
    replied
    I agree totally with Plasma's assessment. Also the stand-up grappling in the katas were perhaps not meant so much against karate-like attacks (for that there's plenty of blocking and striking, no?) but against armored &/or weapon weilding assailants. There are some counters versus grappling moves as well (eg. wrist grabs(but the counter often involves strikes), bear hugs, full neilsons etc.). Mind you since there are no/very few actual manuals dipicting the bunkai maybe even what are thought of as grappling related moves actually aren't.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Who wants somebody who merely claims to teach MA to law enforcement? Anybody can claim that and get away with it...there's no regulatory body watching out for that.

Learn MA WITH law enforcement!

A LEF officer teaches my classes, and also offers seminars to LEF agencies, and a lot of my classmates are actually LEF officers, which enables my favorite MA joke nowadays:

Other: "Oh you look like you're in good shape, what do you do for that"?

Me: "I resist cops".

Trust me when I say, LEF are some of the best folks to have as training instructors/partners. They have the right level of commitment.

Leave a comment:

• NightsWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by Plasma View Post
    Google "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" near your town. Go and try a free class and forget the sport vs street bullshit.
    Thanks for the tip. Are the Marcello Monteiro schools legit?

Leave a comment:

• plasma
    replied
    Google "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" near your town. Go and try a free class and forget the sport vs street bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    After looking this up, I now remember all the stuff Don Cunningham went through with Juko-Kai. That was an epic mess.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6998

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Southbend Tribune Article.

http://articles.southbendtribune.com...-hamilton-soka

Yeah, right...

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X