Its TIME for some no-gi Freestyle Judo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its TIME for some no-gi Freestyle Judo

Its time for me to yet again try and encourage those of you in Judo Community especially coaches to expand Judo by including Freestyle Judo into your programs. More particularity host a Gi/No-Gi Freestyle Judo Tournament 2x a Year and try and get a few of your guys out to the AAU Judo National Tournaments.

http://www.aaujudo.org/Events.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/events/636275066428072/?ref=22

http://www.freestylejudo.org/About/

https://www.facebook.com/FreestyleJudo

Originally posted by doofaloofa
    Without the gi, what differentiates judo from wrestling?
    Like any other grappling art. The Ruleset. What the difference between Greco-Roman, Folkstyle and Freestyle Wrestling? What difference between BJJ and Judo?

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa
      Without the gi, what differentiates judo from wrestling?
      Duh, liver shots.

In a little but not really more serious note

Comment

Originally posted by Plasma View Post
        The Ruleset.
        Yep, I think this is where Freestyle Judo really shines especially with an emphasis on practical self defense grappling skill set.

Fast paced No stalling
        Fight ending Take downs + No pulling Gaurd
        Submissions + pins

My only real complaint is the lack of Leg locks.

Only think that would be better would be Freestyle Judo on the Feet and Combat JJ on the ground.
        Last edited by goodlun; 5/25/2014 3:23pm, .

Comment

Dude! Yes!

I do BJJ but we spend half of each class on takedowns and throws - I was able to gain a dominant position rolling today because I got an Osotogari. I would LOVE to try one of these one day!

Comment

I would love this. I have a small Judo background and I love the art but I've been neglecting it lately because I haven't found the cross training to be very useful with the Gi and the current ruleset.

Comment

So I'm just curious - I was reading up on Judo rules vs Freestyle Judo rules.

Why was the pistol grip banned and why were 2 on 1 grip breaks banned in the first place? Defensive stalling?

Comment

Originally posted by XXIV View Post

Why was the pistol grip banned and why were 2 on 1 grip breaks banned in the first place? Defensive stalling?
                From what I understand a lot of it was preventing stalling (same goes for leg grabs as well). Which I can understand.

Comment

BTW those of you interested in Freestyle Judo in the UK this is the man to contact

https://www.facebook.com/steve4thdan/about

Comment

Originally posted by XXIV View Post

Yes, pretty much.

Comment

Not sure if they are going to have no gi Judo there or not but if your out in Mesa AZ and do Judo you may want to check it out.

Comment

I would start going to Judo classes again.

http://judo4mma.com/index.htm?mmathrows.php?&2
                        Always a fan of this website.

Comment

How do submission rules differ in Freestyle and Kodokan contests? I don't see anything that makes the rules for each organization look any different in that aspect. I ask because I didn't see anything specifically noted about bicep cutters and wrist locks, which are key parts of my armbar series.

I noticed that grabbing of the head only and neck cranks during newaza are illegal; might the hold on uke's neck be a subtle enough difference to allow for the rib compression from kesa?

Comment

Originally posted by itwasntme View Post
                            How do submission rules differ in Freestyle and Kodokan contests?
                            As far as I know they don't differ at all when it comes to submissions which means no wrist locks and no bicep slicers.

It is after all is still Kodokan Judo, what it is not however is Olympic Judo.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                              As far as I know they don't differ at all when it comes to submissions which means no wrist locks and no bicep slicers.

It is after all is still Kodokan Judo, what it is not however is Olympic Judo.
                              I kept digging and mainly just came up with more questions lol. Apprently, triangles around the neck are allowed in Freestyle but not IJF, and body triangles are not allowed in either.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X