Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And now for some hilariously bad kung fu instruction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a deep squat:
    http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2..._Placement.jpg

This is the golden turtle:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H3ycjV83t3...t%2Bstance.jpg

Compare the hip and knee angles. Your golden turtle thing isn't even parallel. Hence not deep.

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    That's be a blast. That's too bad about your surgery...is it affecting your lifting?

I can recommend some lighter Iron Body qigong to help your post-surgery recovery, if you like. Don't attempt the Golden Tortoise though, it will break most people in half.
    Yeah it does. Thanks for the offer but i'm gonna stick with the physiotherapists programme as it's specific to me and the operation that i'm having.

Comment

Originally posted by IsThisRight? View Post
      YES. Great job. You know one type of well known squat.

Squats are my #1 favorite exercise, I do about 20 different kinds, weighted and non, but Golden Tortoise is still my favorite because it's a great one to challenge your friends with, and watch them drop on the floor in less than a minute.

I have seen body builders crumble trying the Gum Gwai Sic, because it tests muscles in interesting ways.

And then, I even kick it up a notch and do Golden Tortoise with weighted rings. I'm crazy about my squats. I will do Bulgarian, Hindu, and yes, even crazy ass ancient Daoyin squats like Golden Tortoise...this is why I have calf muscles the size of melons.

To be totally honest, that's not the "correct" form of the Golden Tortoise. I had a better picture of Grandmaster Lam Sai Wing but I would have had to scan it.

Normally, the head should be looking foward, and the body would be lower.

Compare the hip and knee angles. Your golden turtle thing isn't even parallel. Hence not deep.
      The quads and back are kept parallel to the floor, the knees are over the feet, and over the course of say, 1-2 years, you learn to lower yourself more and more. Again, don't compare it to the squats you know, this one is different. It opens up an enormous amount of flexibility in the groin, in addition to strengthening the legs, core, back, and glutes.

Oh, and it's pretty fucking deep all right. It opens up the whole "gwot", as they say, something that has, shall we say....certain non-martial applications. Kung fu wives understand.

Don't go by the picture, the picture sucks. Go by the burn of it yourself, or stop theorycrafting and comparing it to the one deep squat you probably know.

Yeah it does. Thanks for the offer but i'm gonna stick with the physiotherapists programme as it's specific to me and the operation that i'm having.
      Sorry. Honestly.
      Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/09/2014 12:18pm, .
      '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Note to self: never starts threads after midnight. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by baby_cart View Post
          Not that extensively, but YES I DID STUDY IT. I'M A NURSE, FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I get routinely cursed, insulted and one time even spat upon when things fuck up on this side.

Have you ever had an experience where one wrong move could send a guy dying even when more than 20 people have been doing their best to keep him alive for a day? That's why I'm looking for CLARIFICATION. Hospitals are slow moving conservative monoliths. If this has a connection to what I'm doing and makes my job way much easier, why not? HOWEVER, this must be solid, OTHER people's live are riding on it.

Lie, appeal to authority, appeal to pity and more!

You're as bad as wabbit.

Comment

I normally don't post selfies, I think it's lame.

But in the spirit of sporting, Bullshido comedy, here is an "iron body" calf-in-training.

Goes ALL the way up, folks. Everyone has an open invitation into my mount. We'll have loads of fun.

Except Doofus, I wouldn't want to break His Sveltness.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/09/2014 1:05pm, .
            '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa
              Damn you got fat legs wabbit

What is your BMI?
              Almost Samoan.

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa
                Don't listen, you're not that bad
                LOL of course he's "not that bad".

He doesn't normally waste his time with you.

If he did, you'd be trolololing him for being helpful too.

You can't help yourself. We know.

Comment

*sips cocktail* Back to the topic at hand....Jake Mace.

So, Fake has, imho, validly argued that Jake's heart is in the right place, but his training regimen was tainted by Shaolin Do.

So, when it comes to "hilariously bad kung fu instruction" I think it could be one of Bullshido's hash tags.

#hilariouslybadkungfuinstruction

But Jake Mace is not it. I've watched so many of his videos and I feel the guy has the right spirit, at the end of the day.

I know a Bully who trains in Hung ga, BJJ, Muay Thai, AND MMA and has the same kind of spirit. I am humbled in her presence.

It's not what we've learned that's important, but what we're willing to learn.
                  Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/09/2014 3:39pm, .

Comment

I'll drink to that. I posted this thread after watching two videos in the middle of the night and thinking "I am pretty sure that's a bad idea." I am more than willing to admit that I misjudged the situation. I still maintain that blocking a snap kick with your forearm is a terrible idea on multiple levels. I would actually rather just eat the leg kick, considering that blocking it like that would give me a pretty good chance of getting my arm broken.

Comment

*sips cocktail* Back to the topic at hand....Jake Mace.

So, Fake has, imho, validly argued that Jake's heart is in the right place, but his training regimen was tainted by Shaolin Do.

So, when it comes to "hilariously bad kung fu instruction" I think it could be one of Bullshido's hash tags.

#hilariouslybadkungfuinstruction

But Jake Mace is not it. I've watched so many of his videos and I feel the guy has the right spirit, at the end of the day.

I know a Bully who trains in Hung ga, BJJ, Muay Thai, AND MMA and has the same kind of spirit. I am humbled in her presence.

It's not what we've learned that's important, but what we're willing to learn.
                      Hey, how about a cocktail for the rest of us? Share and share alike, yeah?

Comment

YES. Great job. You know one type of well known squat.

Squats are my #1 favorite exercise, I do about 20 different kinds, weighted and non, but Golden Tortoise is still my favorite because it's a great one to challenge your friends with, and watch them drop on the floor in less than a minute.

I have seen body builders crumble trying the Gum Gwai Sic, because it tests muscles in interesting ways.

And then, I even kick it up a notch and do Golden Tortoise with weighted rings. I'm crazy about my squats. I will do Bulgarian, Hindu, and yes, even crazy ass ancient Daoyin squats like Golden Tortoise...this is why I have calf muscles the size of melons.

To be totally honest, that's not the "correct" form of the Golden Tortoise. I had a better picture of Grandmaster Lam Sai Wing but I would have had to scan it.

Normally, the head should be looking foward, and the body would be lower.

The quads and back are kept parallel to the floor, the knees are over the feet, and over the course of say, 1-2 years, you learn to lower yourself more and more. Again, don't compare it to the squats you know, this one is different. It opens up an enormous amount of flexibility in the groin, in addition to strengthening the legs, core, back, and glutes.

Oh, and it's pretty fucking deep all right. It opens up the whole "gwot", as they say, something that has, shall we say....certain non-martial applications. Kung fu wives understand.

Don't go by the picture, the picture sucks. Go by the burn of it yourself, or stop theorycrafting and comparing it to the one deep squat you probably know.

Sorry. Honestly.
                        Rabbit - is it a static hold or dynamic movement???

Any chance you've got access to a video of it if its dynamic? Looks like a good one to inflict upon some friends who play rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD81 View Post
                          Rabbit - is it a static hold or dynamic movement???

Any chance you've got access to a video of it if its dynamic? Looks like a good one to inflict upon some friends who play rugby.
                          It's a static exercise used as conditioning and a template for later, more challenging dynamic exercises. The static hold can be done with the hands forward or reversed through the legs. The challenge is to learn to breathe properly through the initial discomfort, while learning to relax and let the muscles, ligaments, and tendons do their work properly.

New students find doing this for a minute very challenging, so you work your way up. Proper body alignment is important and learned over time, leading to a stronger, more stable position. It's common for new people to just have to break the pose to relieve the lactic acid discomfort in their quads etc. Advanced students can actually meditate in this position for 5+ minutes.

This is Hung Ga grandmaster Lam Sai Wing performing both forward and reverse Golden tortoise as part of the 7 Golden Passages (chut gum muen), a "warmup" qi gong routine.

Some traditional Hung ga instructors would line their students up in a row in this position, and walk across their backs to test their strength. Not done so much nowadays as I imagine the risk is too high of hurting someone's back.

The Shaolin-derived and Daoist-derived qi gong exercises actually include a lot of different "Squat-like" exercises with dynamic lower and upper body movement. This is one example from the 8 Brocade exercises.

The older name for these kinds of pseudo-gymnastics is "Dao Yin", "guided stretching", or Yang Sheng ("life nourishing").

This is a modern reconstruction of the 44 movements of "Daoyin Tu" ("exercise chart") from 168 BC.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/10/2014 7:51pm, .

Comment

Hey look what I found, Jake doing the Drawing the Bow exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...fysOBxhI#t=219

There are a lot of variations of the 8 brocades but they generally contain the same basic movements. The static exercises like Golden Tortoise help build the foundation for the dynamic exercises in other sets, like Drawing the Bow.

The more traditional Shaolin forms look more like this.

Notice the sequence difference of the Drawing the Bow in Jake's set (#4/8), and the Shaolin Temple Europe version (#2/8). It shows how the sets can change over time depending on the instructor/lineage. In most versions I've seen (including the Tang Fong Hung ga version) the exercise is in the #2 position of the 8.

It'd be interesting to know if this is how Shaolin Do teaches the Brocades, because it would seem to indicate yet another conflict between "canonical" Shaolin methods and Shaolin Do methods.
                            Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/10/2014 8:52pm, .

Comment

When I first saw Jake Mace I thought it was a skit and laughed until I realized he's actually teaching people :(

Comment

Radiohead never sounded cool, you emo bitch. Dude might not be teaching traditional k

Radiohead never sounded good, you emo bitch. Seems this guy receives a lot of hate because he has a successful YouTube channel and looks like a pretty boy, something most of the whiny bitches here could never achieve. Why dont you put forth examples of your great kung fu skills? Oh yeah, cuz most of you make Jonah Hill look like he's in shape

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X