Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Martial Art Sucks: Ninja Defeat to the Closed Guard

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Your Martial Art Sucks: Ninja Defeat to the Closed Guard

    Your Martial Art Sucks: Ninja Defeat to the Closed Guard

    Last edited by plasma; 1/10/2014 3:24pm, .

    #2
    Actually I disagree with the first point -- 0:28.

    At no time did he ever have a good base to give up.

    Ninja style points for the gold belt though!

    Comment


      #3
      No posture control from the guy under. What's the point of the guard? No wonder he can spin around that closed guard.

      Top guy: why the hell is he concerned about the two on one arm control if he can just GNP the guy? Hell, SKH can stand up and slam the guy given he can retain his posture.

      Flowery techniques... making things complicated... a classical mess.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by BJMills View Post
        Ninja style points for the gold belt though!
        That man in the video demonstrating is Stephen K. Hayes himself, the founder of that brand of Ninjutsu: To-Shin-Do. You know, from that famous book The Ninja and their Secret Fighting Art.

        In To-Shin-Do the Anshu (aka the Founder) wears a Gold Belt, his assistant wears a Silver. The highest rank is a black belt with a gold stripe, 10th dan.

        Comment


          #5
          This isn't supposed to be a closed guard escape. It's a defense against a professional wrestling-style body scissors submission, hence why the video is titled "Scissor Lock Escape" and he uses a Half Boston Crab.

          That BJJ shit won't help you against this:











          I remember Scott "The Texas Ninja" Morris did an STF Lock during the informational feature in UFC 2. I was expecting the same thing here when the dude went for a Half Boston.

          Comment


            #6
            The way he sits back is like he is miming the effect of a hip bump sweep. Just sit up and follow him over into mount. Oh and please do plant your hands like that and try to knee my tail bone. My kimura vs your ineffective kneeing, I wonder who wins...

            Everyone who wants to make a dumb anti guard video should watch this first:



            I know it's been around for a while but I feel like it's always worth posting where relevant.

            Wasn't he the ninja next door guy on a magazine with his wife?

            Having seen Holy Moment's post I feel slightly foolish as I addressed this as an anti guard video but screw it I'll leave the rest of the post unedited.
            Last edited by cereus; 12/31/2013 8:18pm, .

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by cereus View Post
              The way he sits back is like he is miming the effect of a hip bump sweep. Just sit up and follow him over into mount. Oh and please do plant your hands like that and try to knee my tail bone. My kimura vs your ineffective kneeing, I wonder who wins...

              Everyone who wants to make a dumb anti guard video should watch this first:



              I know it's been around for a while but I feel like it's always worth posting where relevant.

              Wasn't he the ninja next door guy on a magazine with his wife?

              Having seen Holy Moment's post I feel slightly foolish as I addressed this as an anti guard video but screw it I'll leave the rest of the post unedited.
              No need to feel foolish. I'd bet a small fortune on the fact that the sudden need to address the 'scissor lock' has more than a little to do with the popularity of a certian Brazilian MA.

              Comment


                #8
                I remember when I was a kid seeing a muppet thing where Miss Piggy declared that she had a platinum belt. I honestly never thought I'd see anything close to that dumb in reality. Bullshido is a real eye opener.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I particularly like when Hayes is talking about the guy on the bottom pushing. Pushing? Even if a person knew nothing about grappling, if you've got the legs set to pull him towards you, why would it occur to you to fight your legs by trying to push him away?

                  It's beyond counter-intuitive.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Fuck it. lets go street.

                    Stand up. pick the guy up by his collar and ram his head into that wall behind him.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It's the murmurs of amusement and 'man we're so awesome doing this' at 1:11 that made me smile.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Lv1Sierpinski View Post
                        It's the murmurs of amusement and 'man we're so awesome doing this' at 1:11 that made me smile.
                        I couldn't stop laughing the few times you hear a couple of people say, "oh my god" when Hayes demonstrates the maneuver. It's as if they believed that they were seeing some real Ninja Magic. I'd bet that most of them now think ,"Heh, bet this totally works on the guard. We got nothing to fear from those MMA and BJJ guys now! We are teh deadly Ninja Grapplerz!"

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Fuck it. lets go street.
                          YES.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by FinalLegion View Post
                            I couldn't stop laughing the few times you hear a couple of people say, "oh my god" when Hayes demonstrates the maneuver. It's as if they believed that they were seeing some real Ninja Magic. I'd bet that most of them now think ,"Heh, bet this totally works on the guard. We got nothing to fear from those MMA and BJJ guys now! We are teh deadly Ninja Grapplerz!"
                            I don't blame them though. Guard passing it one of the toughest aspects of grappling especially against an active guard player. To see these gimmick moves that look like a magic bullet to the untrained eye gives a sense of wonder, and in their mind, a leg up against a very real threat. It's similar to the Wing Chun defenses against a boxing jab.

                            I feel pity for the students. I blame the instructors.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Plasma View Post
                              I don't blame them though. Guard passing it one of the toughest aspects of grappling especially against an active guard player. To see these gimmick moves that look like a magic bullet to the untrained eye gives a sense of wonder, and in their mind, a leg up against a very real threat. It's similar to the Wing Chun defenses against a boxing jab.

                              I feel pity for the students. I blame the instructors.
                              I have a question for anyone who has experience with the man or the org, do you think Hayes knows any better? Or do you think he sat there analyzing the guard and came up with a solution he genuinely thinks will work?

                              When you see he crap Hatsumi does that people randomly fall over for it makes me think there is this whole culture of compliance that even the instructors buy into after awhile.

                              So on one hand maybe Hayes is a victim of the culture he is surrounded by, but on the other I thought his whole Toshindo approach (from what I've read I have no personal experience) was to work some of the ninjer stuff in a more pressure tested environment... which means he should know better...

                              The irrationality of ninjers is so befuddling!
                              Last edited by BJMills; 1/01/2014 4:26pm, .

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X