Secret Kicks of Wang Chung...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secret Kicks of Wang Chung...

Shhhssshhh, don't tell anybody but th3 C_un haz th3 kikckings. It's a secret. It's so secret, many instructors don't even know about them! But they are th3 re4l, trust us. They totally work. They aren't talked about and vitually nobody knows how to use them, even the teachers, but they TOTALLY WORK!

WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!

Incredulous, I see?

Read on...
    http://wingchunkuen.me/2013/07/30/se...rs-curt-james/

This is my rifle,

This is my Chun,

One is for fighting,

And one is for dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
      This is my rifle,

This is my Chun,

One is for fighting,

And one is for dumb.
      You should start a career as a signature quote writer, because that is another piece of gold!

Comment

I just like the bizarre self delusion at work in this article.

"We don't usually practice them, even our masters don't practice them, sometimes they don't even know them, we certainly don't teach it to students and outside of this article they are not even talked about but Wang Chung rules so naturally we'd "excel" if we even bothered to try doing this thing we pay lip service to in theory but don't actually do in practice."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
          "We don't usually practice them, even our masters don't practice them, sometimes they don't even know them, we certainly don't teach it to students and outside of this article ."
          Actually, there may be some truth to that. The only kick I've ever seen Chunners use is a front kick. They really don't know the others.

Comment

I feel very lucky that the wing chun I trained didn't ignore kicks. Duncan Leung students and disciples seem to be the only wing chun people that normally train the tri-podial form, which is a "form" using kicks and steps around wooden poles.

99% of wing chun people I've met have never heard of this rare wing chun form.

Now...why a striking art would ignore or forget about kicks is beyond me. We often trained front kicks, lift kicks and various stomping kicks...though in fairness I use none of them today (when I train striking) as much as I use thai kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
              Now...why a striking art would ignore or forget about kicks is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                Fair point...

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                  At least boxing has enough class and honesty to lie and pretend that kicking is part of the curriculum.

Comment

I just like the bizarre self delusion at work in this article.
                    The great thing about IKF was that you could pretty much claim anything and as long as you were an acceptably okay writer, they'd let you get away with it. Hell, there was one _ing _un article that claimed their punches caused hydrostatic shock like being hit with a bullet.

Bonus points for using adjectives like esoteric, mysterious, rare, or deadly. I miss that mag - it was easy money getting published.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
                      The great thing about IKF was that you could pretty much claim anything and as long as you were an acceptably okay writer, they'd let you get away with it. Hell, there was one _ing _un article that claimed their punches caused hydrostatic shock like being hit with a bullet.

Bonus points for using adjectives like esoteric, mysterious, rare, or deadly. I miss that mag - it was easy money getting published.
                      I've been talking with a TKD guy lately who goes on and on about "hydro kicks." He claims that TKD kicks are actually superior to Muay Thai kicks because the latter merely cause a crushing injury while TKD kicks work via hydrostatic shock.

I never heard this junk when I did TKD back in the day. Is it a WTF thing?

Comment

If I've ever seen a kick that could possibly cause real hydrostatic wounds it would have to be a Muay Thai kick.

But I believe hydrostatic shock may have been what caused Bas Rutten to rupture Jason Delucia's liver in 1996.
                        Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/29/2013 10:46pm, .

Comment

Isn't any blow that delivers enough joules of energy into a soft fleshy target capable of inducing hydro static shock?

Comment

Isn't any blow that delivers enough joules of energy into a soft fleshy target capable of inducing hydro static shock?
                            Essentially, but the distance of the remote wound is proportional to what's being delivered, so ballistic hydrostatic shock can travel very far in the body (e.g. chest wounds inflicting brain damage).

Whereas actual hydostatic effects from just getting hit hard could rupture nearby internal tissue and potentially organs (i.e. liver shot) as opposed to surface tissue damage.

Without a doubt Muay Thai strikes could have hydrostatic effects. So could getting hit over the head with a crowbar.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGalt View Post
                              I've been talking with a TKD guy lately who goes on and on about "hydro kicks." He claims that TKD kicks are actually superior to Muay Thai kicks because the latter merely cause a crushing injury while TKD kicks work via hydrostatic shock.

I never heard this junk when I did TKD back in the day. Is it a WTF thing?
                              My ATA instructor used to talk about the different impact of a punch that hits and is quickly retracted vs. a punch that is driven through the target. It was mostly a "stop fucking up during board breaking" speech and he told us Muay Thai guys would fuck us up, but the guy you were talking with might have taken that and run with it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X