X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Originally posted by CuttingEdge View Post
    Hopefully this is a different Rodney King than the one who was famous for getting beat up in LA. That guy could have used some crazy monkey defense.
    It's a different guy with an extremely unfortunate name.

I wouldn't sell the original Rodney King short, though. He took everything the police could throw at him. Years later, he also won several celebrity boxing matches.

Leave a comment:

• CuttingEdge
    replied
    Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Wrong. Crazy Monkey is a completely original system that contains techniques totally absent from traditional boxing and Muay Thai, like eye-gouging and ducking. Coach Rodney King invented the entire style from scratch, specifically tailoring it to be more Street effective than any other conventional martial art.
    Hopefully this is a different Rodney King than the one who was famous for getting beat up in LA. That guy could have used some crazy monkey defense.
    Last edited by CuttingEdge; 9/28/2019 12:13pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Originally posted by crazypanda View Post
    Eye gouging, bobbing and weaving isn't exclusive to cmd.

Yes, they are.

Leave a comment:

• crazypanda
    replied
    CMD blocking is not indiosyncratic to the system

Wrong. Crazy Monkey is a completely original system that contains techniques totally absent from traditional boxing and Muay Thai, like eye-gouging and ducking. Coach Rodney King invented the entire style from scratch, specifically tailoring it to be more Street effective than any other conventional martial art.
    I've seen many traditional muay thai people block with the 45 degree elbow against hook punches and haymakers. Also, using the elbows to jam the fist with the 45 degree elbow maneuver is common in muay thai as well. Eye gouging, bobbing and weaving isn't exclusive to cmd. I don't see anything speacial about cmd. No one invents any system from scratch. Experiences help people form systems. Rodney King has a background in muay thai and bjj. I don't know how good he is at these systems though. Atleast, Muay thai and jujitsu are more respectable than theoretical systema that teaches flow and not thinking about techniques from the get go. Systema is the worst martial art that I've ever experienced. Some systema members are delusional, seeing that some people think that no contact combat is real.
    Last edited by crazypanda; 9/27/2019 3:59pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Dung Beatles
    replied
    I also heard that it incorporates simulated beatings from a dozen angry men armed with clubs, tasers and pepper spray.

They say it's so deadly that most students just get beaten to a pulp on the first day and can't afford to come back due to hospital bills.

You know. The real shit.

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Originally posted by fatpandaman View Post
    Crazy monkey defense people claim what they are teaching is good for MMA and the streets, but the system has no original concepts in it. The defenses from crazy monkey are just basic defenses from Muay Thai. Repackaging and relabeling is false advertisement. Kokusai Budokan is the best martial art school on your list by the way. The teachers at ISD MMA (aka kokusai budokan) were taught by Samart Payankaroon and Saekson Janjira to name a few. These are real world champion fighters.

Leave a comment:

• fatpandaman
    replied
    misinformation

Crazy monkey defense people claim what they are teaching is good for MMA and the streets, but the system has no original concepts in it. The defenses from crazy monkey are just basic defenses from Muay Thai. Repackaging and relabeling is false advertisement. Kokusai Budokan is the best martial art school on your list by the way. The teachers at ISD MMA (aka kokusai budokan) were taught by Samart Payankaroon and Saekson Janjira to name a few. These are real world champion fighters.

Leave a comment:

• Kali11324
    replied
    Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    Lets take a good look at what I mean by this.

CMD is offered at one school in my area.
    Swift Kick. Swift Kick hasn't pressure tested their martial arts program against anyone else. Its not a program that makes fighters or other competitors. This of course isn't their goal, the fact that this isn't part of their goal is a huge part of the problem. They have no way to know what they are doing works.

Now here is a short and far from an all inclusive list of schools that don't offer CMD but sure the hell does pressure test their martial arts. I sure the hell would trust them with my Fitness and Self Defense goals long before I would Swift Kick.

The worse part? Swift Kick COST more than a lot of these places.

http://www.cityboxing.com/
    I checked out Swift Kick when I was shopping around for a school. It was a couple of years ago now, but the cost was a big factor in why I chose to go elsewhere. I did two classes and my kids each did two classes so I am not an expert and I can only talk about my limited experience. The instruction was solid. We did basic pad work. It was standard boxing techniques. Again, good solid instruction. I posted about my concerns about the CM stance what we where being taught in another thread here.
    There was a lot that turned me off about this school though. Aside from the price the number one reason I walked was the super hard sell by the owner. I did my two free classes and then he took me into his office for the pitch and I felt like it was the stereotypical used car salesman. He kept saying things like "I really want you and your family as students". He actually even said, "What do we need to do to get you to sign this contract today?"

Aside from the contracts and hard sell there were other things that felt very disingenuous. I felt he was trying to tell me what I wanted to hear. On one hand he was bad-mouthing TMA, but then he said that they do a forms class on Saturdays. Then they have a demo team that is basically all the stuff that he was making fun of.

I told him about my experience and how I was previously at school that was basically a fight gym and was not looking for that now. He answer was that he tells people who are looking to compete to go find another school. Those were his words, but when I went to the free classes they were talking about some students who were having their first amateur fights.

Now I don't mind teaching forms. I have always done forms and katas as a meditative practice. Physically they can build athleticism. More importantly they can help you feel peaceful. I probably spend 10-20 min a week doing forms.

I also have no problem with having amateur fighters at a school. How can that be a bad thing. These are the guys that are really going to elevate the school.

My problem was stop trying to game me. Stop trying to sell me on your bullshit and be straight with me.

Just my two cents.

P.S. The place was really small too!
    Last edited by Kali11324; 12/04/2014 4:04pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Pem1231
    replied
    this is interesting, has anybody here practiced this art

Leave a comment:

• Richard Macedo
    replied

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
    Like Rodney said, people DO compete. I'm pretty sure there are some guys in Australia
    who organize small competitions. It is not discouraged. People compete if they want.
    I hope this gets posted, the admins are not letting my comments through, in south africa we have Costa Ioannou who has competed in GI and NO GI and won the best in South Africa, he also competes in EFC Africa and was champion for sometime a local legend. Do a Google search for EFC Africa and you can find his profile which states Crazy Monkey Defense.

Leave a comment:

• Tacitus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mackan View Post

For me, personally it seems odd to promote a BJJ-flavour where they _don't_ compete, don't encourage it and such. But who am I to judge. And frankly, not being part of the BJJ community, I should drop it. So...

Sorry if I derailed it. I had some concerns, but the thread is about CMD, not Monkey Jits, so...
    Like Rodney said, people DO compete. I'm pretty sure there are some guys in Australia
    who organize small competitions. It is not discouraged. People compete if they want.

Leave a comment:

• Milk_
    replied
    Had a nice chat with a student of RK today, he confirmed that Monkey Jits is nothing more than everyday BJJ with a "no meat heads allowed" policy and preferential roll level: people get to choose how hard or soft they want to roll, which I guess means they cherry pick or pre-agree before rolls. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

But yeah, there's nothing special about Monkey Jits, it's not a distinct style like 10th planet or Gracie.

Leave a comment:

• Mackan
    replied
    Sorry for taking focus from CMD to Monkey Jits. I just wanted to know if it was legit. I have read his claims of being a 3rd degree under Rigan Machado. I personally didn't know how to check that out, but seing that others here vouch for that claim - cool.

For me, personally it seems odd to promote a BJJ-flavour where they _don't_ compete, don't encourage it and such. But who am I to judge. And frankly, not being part of the BJJ community, I should drop it. So...

Sorry if I derailed it. I had some concerns, but the thread is about CMD, not Monkey Jits, so...

Leave a comment:

• goodlun
    replied
    OK, so, regarding the topic in _this_ thread... That RK does not show up as a BB means... nothing? Because he doesn't compete?

EDIT: I'm kinda slow when it comes to grasping how this fits together...
    RK's Black Belt are legitimate because it is under Rigan Machado.
    Rigan Machado is obviously very well respected. Rigan has proven his skills to the world several times over. RK has proven his skills to Rigan.
    Not only has Rigan proven himself to the world, many of his students have as well.

Of course the best thing about BJJ is ultimately lineage doesn't really matter. You can get your black belt out of a cracker box (hyperbole), so long as you get on the mat and prove it. Win some ADCC matches, win Worlds at Black Belt, Win some MMA matches. Have students that also win. So while lineage is a thing in BJJ its not really a big thing. Basically because in the end it comes down to either put up or shut up.

Leave a comment:

• Ming Loyalist
    replied
    OK, so, regarding the topic in _this_ thread... That RK does not show up as a BB means... nothing? Because he doesn't compete?
    seeing if someone is listed as an IBJJF BB is mostly relevant when there is a question of legitimacy (although there are quite a few legit BB out there who are not IBJJF affiliated as has been pointed out.)

in *this* case it isn't relevant because RK is a very well known BB with legit lineage that has been publicly verified many times during his association with SBGI. if RK was not so well known then not seeing him listed would mean that it would be worth digging deeper, nothing more.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X