Crazy Monkey Defense Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mackan View Post
    I have a screen reader, called JAWS, and a "braille display" (I don't know if they are called that in english, but... A device that shows text in braille.)
    Dude, that sounds freaking cool as hell. Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Milk_ View Post
      Dude, that sounds freaking cool as hell. Awesome!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-18 22.25.41.jpg
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	4329194

Comment

Now, back to the fighting...

Monkey Jits - anyone rolled with them? Anyone that see anything in the videos? Is it the real deal?

Comment

Monkey Jits - anyone rolled with them? Anyone that see anything in the videos? Is it the real deal?
          Not entirely sure how Monkey jj is different form normal bjj, the thinking man stance has no real reason to stay locked on on the ground, so I guess it's pull guard and get to underhooks, or focus on sweeps and get to standing. Tacticus, your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
            I would be more inclined to look at the gym itself to see how well their fighters are doing over all then to buy into CMD itself.
            Lets take a good look at what I mean by this.

CMD is offered at one school in my area.
            Swift Kick. Swift Kick hasn't pressure tested their martial arts program against anyone else. Its not a program that makes fighters or other competitors. This of course isn't their goal, the fact that this isn't part of their goal is a huge part of the problem. They have no way to know what they are doing works.

Now here is a short and far from an all inclusive list of schools that don't offer CMD but sure the hell does pressure test their martial arts. I sure the hell would trust them with my Fitness and Self Defense goals long before I would Swift Kick.

The worse part? Swift Kick COST more than a lot of these places.

Alliance MMA (They have a pretty decent Pro Fight team)
            http://www.alliancegym.com/professio...-alliance-mma/www.unijj.com/

Victory MMA (Dean Lister)
            http://www.victorygyms.com/

Andre Galvao Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
            www.galvaobjjsd.com/www.graciejiujitsueastlake.com/www.blackhouseteamnogueira.com

The Strong Hold (The do well at tournaments and are affiliated with Cobrinha)
            http://thestrongholdsd.com/

Primal Training Center LLC (D. Davis)
            primalbjj.com

Fabio Santos Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Taught many greats including some of the instructors of other gyms in this thread)
            www.fabiojiujitsu.com/www.migoto-judo.org/www.judoamerica.comhttp://www.judosandiego.com/

City Boxing (Puts out some good armature fighters)
            http://www.cityboxing.com/

Comment

Just found out that Jeff Glover is teaching at Victory with Dean Lister.
              Holy shit now that is a nice combination of BJJ styles to work with.

Comment

Hey Milk, I don't have any personal experience with monkey jits. But I have also been wondering what the difference is, what it is about etc. I messaged Rodney King about it, and asked if he could fill you/anyone else interested in. This is what he says:
                Hi everyone,
                [Tacitus, will be withholding my real name-T] asked me to write something about the Monkey Jits program. I would have posted it myself, but it seems I am not welcome as a member here. I did try to register months ago, but nothing came of it. As such, e-mail me any questions you may have, I won’t and can’t come back here and answer follow up to this mail. For reference, whilst most people will know me for my program Crazy Monkey Defense, I have also been practising Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since 1996. I was awarded my blue belt by Rigan Machado in 1997 when I hosted him for a seminar at my gym in South Africa. I am now a 3rd degree Black Belt under Master Rigan Machado. I am sure everyone knows who he is so no need to go into that.
                I really started BJJ for myself. And although I have taught it in my own personal gym over the years, I never wanted to be the jits guy Since starting the Crazy Monkey Trainers program, and especially over the past couple of years, many of my trainers, and many of them with existing BJJ backgrounds, have been hounding me to start a proper program for BJJ, just as I have done for CMD.
                This year, (mostly based on these trainers enthusiasm and nagging. LOL) I started what we have called Monkey-Jits. Clearly the name is a play on Crazy Monkey Defense. With that said it is a separate program to Crazy Monkey Defense. Of course many CM Trainers make up its affiliation, but at the same time, we also now have dozens of people on board who strictly represent Monkey-Jits only.
                For the record, Monkey Jits is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu program, following the classical belt system. If there is any difference it is more in its pedagogy and philosophy. I would lie if I said it is not inspired by my own interpretation of BJJ as the Gentle Art, and the lessons I have come to learn on my personal journey as Martial ARTIST (capitalised intentionally).

To be honest, I have never been one to follow the crowd, or to be concerned with the status quo. I am not interested in arguing these points either. Simply, if someone doesn’t like what I do or my approach, find one that gels for you. It doesn’t make me popular for sure, but this is my journey, and as I honour everyone else’s, I ask that others do the same for me. With that said personally, I want my own BJJ experience to be one of fun, play, and exuberance. I am equally interested in the self-preservation aspect of BJJ, but more than anything I am fascinated by the embodied intelligence that one achieves through rolling, and how that can apply to/ or inform life, career and society. Call me a BJJ Hippie if you like, but I will take that as a compliment.
                Bottom line, I have a ton of people coming to me, who after been through the rinse cycle of the hyper competitive mats, with bodies broken, and disheartened by never finding inner peace through rolling, want to hook up with me and go for a very different ride. This is what Monkey-Jits offers, a way to do BJJ on your own terms, without the meatheads, alpha males and hyped up egos. If they want to compete, they can, if they don’t that’s fine too - more than anything it is about honouring personal expression of each individual that hit the mats, and in doing so, focus on their goals and needs - not what the status quo says it should be. Guaranteed someone will take issue with all of this, and all I can say is follow your own bliss :)
                Here is a cool write up lifted from Facebook by someone who just attended my Monkey Jits/BJJ seminar in the UK:

“ For people who are in doubt of coming to the next MJ Seminar with Rodney King I can assure you that you will learn so much, and the delivery system is simply explained. On Thursday in a one hour session I learned some great concepts of knee pressure in passing the guard...Just imagine what a freakin 5 days can do. In the past I have paid a lot of money and time (don’t want to say names) with quit big names in the BJJ world. Lets say it this way, If I would have joined Rodney earlier my game would have be much better by now” Fabrizio De Rubeis

For more information here you go: www.monkeyjits.com
                If you want to ask me questions, fire away, I would love to hear from you: [email protected]
                I think that also gives a good idea about where he is coming from with CMD as well.
                If anyone has anymore questions, they really should just send him an email. From my experience he is incredibly open to (civil) questions, even from newbs like myself :)

I don't think I can be of much more help on this though.
                Last edited by Tacitus; 5/11/2014 10:43am, . Reason: formating

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
                  I think that also gives a good idea about where he is coming from with CMD as well.
                  If anyone has anymore questions, they really should just send him an email. From my experience he is incredibly open to (civil) questions, even from newbs like myself :)

I don't think I can be of much more help on this though.
                  I am actually going to do just that, I wanted to know what are the technical or stylistic differences between Monkey Jits and normal BJJ, e-mailing him directly seems like a good idea. Because there is a huge technical gulf between let's say..10th Planet and Gracie Humaita BJJ, but so far it seems Monkey Jits is just a training philosophy that upholds the concept of personal comfort within practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Milk_ View Post
                    Because there is a huge technical gulf between let's say..10th Planet and Gracie Humaita BJJ,
                    See, I wouldn't say that there are huge difference at all between 10th planet and GJJ.

Not technical difference at least. There really is nothing you see in 10th planet that you don't see else where.

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but...

If someone's BJJ BB does is not on IBJJF's list of black belts, does it mean anything?

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but...

If someone's BJJ BB does is not on IBJJF's list of black belts, does it mean anything?
                        Oh my that is a big, BIG topic. Worthy of a whole thread in of itself. As well as reading the other threads about IBJJF.

However the short answer comes down to this. Do you want to compete at IBJJF tournaments and in the future are you going to have students of your own that want to compete in IBJJF tournaments.

Comment

OK, so, regarding the topic in _this_ thread... That RK does not show up as a BB means... nothing? Because he doesn't compete?

EDIT: I'm kinda slow when it comes to grasping how this fits together...

Comment

How did this turn into an IBJJF thread? And just as an FYI Mackan, stay as far away as you can from that organization. You're better off not getting your BB listed with them. I know they're big, they're famous and have a wide reach, but the whole thing is a for profit corporation that's defrauding peeps. Stay off mate. Read this over the weekend :

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122202

Back to Crazy Monkey!!!!

Comment

Monkey Jits

I roll with Rodney King, he is the real deal man. He got his black belt from Rigan Machado. Why don't you follow Rodney on Twitter

Rodney does not like his students to compete, but there is an exception he makes if you are talented and have what it takes to be in the ring, physically and mentally.

Look up Costa Ioannou, a local MMA legend in South Africa, his JITS is Monkey Jits from Mr King himself (Go to EFC Africa website and look for Costa there) , I can share some of Costa's first MMA fight just PM

Rodney King is the local Godfather of MMA in South Africa and will always be. Follow Rodney on twitter coachrodneyking or find him on facebook and attend a seminar. Go on to the Crazy Monkey Site and find a local coach in your area, go take a look at what they do, and how they roll.

Comment

OK, so, regarding the topic in _this_ thread... That RK does not show up as a BB means... nothing? Because he doesn't compete?
                                seeing if someone is listed as an IBJJF BB is mostly relevant when there is a question of legitimacy (although there are quite a few legit BB out there who are not IBJJF affiliated as has been pointed out.)

in *this* case it isn't relevant because RK is a very well known BB with legit lineage that has been publicly verified many times during his association with SBGI. if RK was not so well known then not seeing him listed would mean that it would be worth digging deeper, nothing more.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X