Alive Training in Aikido - Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Sorry I meant you are ruining your t-shirt, hakama or whatever with all the stab marks of the sharpie.
    Chalk works just as well, and its a lot easier on the magic pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
      I mentioned this thread to our gym's Aikido instructor. He said that's not what the wristlocks are for and concurred with me. Just saying.
      Yeah but what does Wally Jay have to say about it?
      Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
      –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

I mentioned this thread to our gym's Aikido instructor. He said that's not what the wristlocks are for and concurred with me. Just saying.
        Not sure I understand -- did he say that they are not best used against someone holding a weapon in their hand?

Comment

Originally posted by CapnMunchh View Post
          Not sure I understand -- did he say that they are not best used against someone holding a weapon in their hand?
          Wristlocks in Aikido are not used as wristlocks they are used to teach a principal.

The OP buggered out anyway. I already knew he would. His attitude tends to come with the territory.

Comment

Wait, we're teaching wrist locks to principals? They must have some fucked-up students.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlMatt View Post
              Wait, we're teaching wrist locks to principals? They must have some fucked-up students.
              And why do you teach wristlocks?

Comment

PS....understand I'm paraphrasing and am too lazy to go into a full discussion about this. If you don't get what I'm trying to say let go. I'm uninterested in going into detail. I knew what he meant.

Comment

For sure wristlocks can be used a teaching aids to demonstrate principles, but, with all due respect to the Aikido instructor you spoke to, I found that they are next to impossible to used against even a partially uncooperative Aikido uke unless they were holding a weapon and were committed to holding on to it, since holding on the weapon tenses the wrist and makes it easier to apply the lock.

On the other hand, I also found a few BJJ white belts who were suckers for a wristlock, since they were totally unfamiliar and didn't expect it.

Comment

For sure wristlocks can be used a teaching aids to demonstrate principles, but, with all due respect to the Aikido instructor you spoke to, I found that they are next to impossible to used against even a partially uncooperative Aikido uke unless they were holding a weapon and were committed to holding on to it, since holding on the weapon tenses the wrist and makes it easier to apply the lock.

On the other hand, I also found a few BJJ white belts who were suckers for a wristlock, since they were totally unfamiliar and didn't expect it.
                    A white belt in any style without prior experience is a sucker for any technique applied by someone with experience. Even one that is not realistic.

Comment

Marcio "Macarrao" Stambowsky has many, many wristlocks in his repertoire.

I missed the recent seminar he had here, but that seemed to be the take away.

Comment

So in that case you concur with him.

Comment

And why do you teach wristlocks?
                          I wasn't disagreeing with you; I was just making a lame pun out of your misspelling.

Comment

I misspelled it? Weird. Okay.

Comment

So in that case you concur with him.
                              I concur in part, my point was that they're mostly for use against someone holding a weapon, otherwise wristlocks are easy to resist. I wouldn't try a wristlock against someone trying to punch me.

As for using wristlocks while rolling with white belts, in my own defense I'll say that I was a white belt at the time too, and Lloyd never said I shouldn't do it.

Comment

I concur in part, my point was that they're mostly for use against someone holding a weapon, otherwise wristlocks are easy to resist. I wouldn't try a wristlock against someone trying to punch me.

As for using wristlocks while rolling with white belts, in my own defense I'll say that I was a white belt at the time too, and Lloyd never said I shouldn't do it.
                                I'm not sure if folks have seen this one or not...it seems better then the typical 'x vs y' type videos...it's Russian with an Aikidoka and a kickboxer. There are definitely folks on here who have more experience than I do to judge this with, but what made me think of it
                                Is that the aikido guy gets a couple of take downs early on, like at :09 and :15 or so in the fight...the second one is when he gets ahold of a wrist, something like what has been discussed here. If he had any ground game he might have made something out of those, but as it stands the rest of the fight doesn't go so well for him...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8xH_aiCtg#

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X