Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Chinese martial arts worth studying while in china?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Chinese martial arts worth studying while in china?

I will be living in China for a few months and figure, since the root of many martial arts stems from there, I'll try n take some classes and learn some arts. However, I also know that typical form-based arts (like karate, for example) aren't effective in real life situations. Thus, is anyone aware of a Chinese martial art that would be worth studying? Kung fu? Wushu?

Thanks for any guidance!!!

Hello there,

1) Have you trained before?
    2) Where are you going to be?

Comment

Hey. I haven't trained consistently. Classes here n there.
      I will be in the province of Guabgdong, in particular Foshan City.

Comment

I don't know much about china nor CMAs but I do know one thing.
        Shuai jiao looks awesome.
        Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
        –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by bsem View Post
          Hey. I haven't trained consistently. Classes here n there.
          I will be in the province of Guabgdong, in particular Foshan City.
          It's Guangdong province for those not recognizing the typo.

I can't put you on to any particular place, but here's a link to some places you ought to see while there.

http://www.excelguangzhou.com/martial-arts.html

Is this your first trip to China?

and

Can't recommend wushu. There's a lot of the Chun. Yip Man's ancestral home I hear.
          Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Choy Li Fut is from Guangdong. More specifically, from Ging Mui village in the San Woi district of Jiangmen. The original kwoon is there. Might be worth checking out if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

Comment

probably not. if you can find shuai jiao or sanda check it out. FYI if they teach striking and don't glove up and smack each other silly, then it's not the real CMA, so run away from anyplace like that.
              "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
              "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
              "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
              "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X