X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patfromlogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Valdis View Post
    He is currently learning BJJ at Fox Fitness. Its a great school and his teacher is amazing with him. He has found his home :)
    That's great - the BJJ in Logan UT has by far the best kid's program here, healthy fun live training.

Leave a comment:

• Nickosaurus
    replied
    Originally posted by Valdis View Post
    He is currently learning BJJ at Fox Fitness. Its a great school and his teacher is amazing with him. He has found his home :)
    A good result then, given his initial reservation about ground grappling it just shows that its hard (With adults being the worst offenders) to judge something they haven't done.

Leave a comment:

• Valdis
    replied
    He goes to practice..if that's what you call it.. twice a week. The last thursday of each month they learn kickboxing, so its a nice mix for him.
    The first day it was just him and his teacher, he learned the "paintbrush" his first day :)

Leave a comment:

• Valdis
    replied

Leave a comment:

• patfromlogan
    replied
    Gee, now I want Valdis to report on how it went at the MMA school. He's probably gone but... I wish to reiterate the instructor over technique point. Like my son was really small for his age (he finally grew some late) and working out one night felt shitty because a younger, but much larger, kid beat him sparring. The instructor grabbed him and gave him a serious and then funny nose to nose (he got on his knees) about how he had always been the smallest and so forth. He connected and communicated with affection, respect, understanding, sympathy and tough love. A well done job by a mature successful martial artist and a well to do family man. His style was good, but more important was his ability to care and support children. He is an un-official step dad to a lot of boys. Oh, he's 5'1"...
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/15/2013 12:56am, .

Leave a comment:

• Valdis
    replied
    We went to Fox Fitness to sit in on a BJJ class, instead of sitting in my Son participated and loved it!! I knew he would.

http://www.foxfitnessbjj.com/

On Tuesday or Thursday we are going to the Wichita Jiu Jitsu Club and see how our son likes it there.
    http://www.wichitajiujitsuclub.com/blog/

I think we have pretty much settled on BJJ, just trying to find the right place.

Thanks for all the advice so far, it's been very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Omega Supreme
    replied
    I found a Premier school and one other MMA school. I'm just thinking that a MMA-centric gym would not be the best in this situation.

Leave a comment:

• It is Fake
    replied
    I saw four MMA schools, in Wichita on google, so I figured he might look at a few since he is changing his mind.

Leave a comment:

• Valdis
    replied
    Originally posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    I realise that you may not be posting again but if you still reading I would add the comment that enjoyment from watching and doing are very different.

I have heard lots of grapplers say competition is boring to watch and I think it can be without context like knowing the players or what each person is trying to achieve grip/throw wise but those same people enjoy grappling themselves.

Im the same with Skiing (been doing it since I was 7) I will appreciate the technique skill for about 3 mins then my attention starts to drift
    Very good point. Golf and Baseball can be boring, for some people, to watch... but very fun to play.

I personally think that my son would love wrestling. I know when I first started I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I loved it.

Leave a comment:

• atheistmantis
    replied
    Nil nisi malis terrori.

Leave a comment:

• Omega Supreme
    replied
    Originally posted by atheistmantis View Post
    c

As my dear mother used to say, "You can't get blood from a turnip". Finally, you have no idea what I DO KNOW. Now why don't you go ahead and get the last word in as you always do. You're just not worth any more of my time Omega. BTW it's not grammar, it was spelling. Back to Sociocide for me.
    So you do not know the difference between grammar and spelling, you do not know anything about the current issue. You are now banned from this thread as a troll.

Leave a comment:

• atheistmantis
    replied
    Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Yes, being a grammar Nazi would be a desperate move. You can disagree all you want you've already stated your case. You have admitted your lack of education and the impotence in disclosing your experience. So unless you're attempting to get the last word in to suit your narcissistic need to feel like you actually can contribute to the matter, I suggest you go back to do whatever it is you are actually good at.
    c

As my dear mother used to say, "You can't get blood from a turnip". Finally, you have no idea what I DO KNOW. Now why don't you go ahead and get the last word in as you always do. You're just not worth any more of my time Omega. BTW it's not grammar, it was spelling. Back to Sociocide for me.

Leave a comment:

• Valdis
    replied
    We're going to go and check this place out tomorrow.

http://wichitamixedmartialarts.com/

They offer Muay Thai and BJJ. I couldn't find a place in Wichita that was just Kickboxing, I could only find places that offered CardioKickboxing.

We're going to talk to the instructors and get advice on if this school would be good for our son.

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    I wanted to do ninjutsu when I was a kid. Fortunately my dad steered me away from it.

Leave a comment:

• It is Fake
    replied
    Oh and stop catering to your kid. You have set goals in mind and as an adult you make the final decision. Many schools have free classes so, take him to one. If it really is boring fine, but you are the adult. I mean you are avoiding striking arts, against his wishes I might add, you can make him try grappling arts.

If I had my choice, I wouldn't be able to swim. My father MADE me learn, then I chose to do it competitively.My boys had no desire to wrestle, but I heard good thing on this board and football coaches swear by wrestling. I MADE my boys TRY wrestling and they LOVED it. I make them try things they do not like, but I never make them continue the endeavor.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X