Help finding a Martial Art for our 7 year old son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuddles View Post
    Actually my bro is like that and he's had 5 run-ins with the police now, even attacking a policeman cause he was angry. He went to court for that one.

He's 17 almost 18 now. The last incident was when he was 17.

So yes, keep a tab on your child's anger.
    Therapy, counseling, psychiatrists, none of that worked.

By no means am I an expert, but seriously, I've seen how bad it can get.
    I never claimed "expertise" only life experience with a family member as you have shared.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
      *facepalm. Yes, I've seen how bad it can get too. I'm really glad you guys can give such sound advice. You know because he's not observing or taking precautions now. I personally find it a bit patronizing the way you're communicating here.
      Sorry I didn't mean to sound that way.

Comment

Please disregard my askhole statement this new anti-spam system causes delays and only certain post to show up isn't helping.
        Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
        –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Judo (for all the good reasons given here) , if not than boxing.
          Proper head gear, a good coach and a couple of nice kids to train with will benefit him a lot. Something about trading punches, while learning how to properly box including gaining composure and staying relaxed under stress will help him disconnect anger\frustration from fighting\punching. IMO he will learn to regard boxing more as a sport than a way to vent frustration. He will be more hesitant and calculating with his fists which is a good thing.
          Also, from my experience, boxing coaches especially older ones are very calm and good with kids, good role models at list in regard to aggressive behavior.
          There is a difference though between a sports Martial Art (MA) to a traditional one, and though the traditional ones are better in marketing, they don't deliver as well as sport MA. Your kid needs full contact on a regular basis not air punching\kicking. (because they are not alive and tested regularly it can actually entice him to try them out and upgrade his attacks )
          His need (which is normal) to rough house, assert himself or just check physical boundaries will be muted if he gets an organized challenging setting to do just that.
          Last edited by erezb; 9/17/2013 1:33am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Valdis View Post
            Grace Wu is the instructor at the school here in Wichita... Her Bio

I would like to go and watch one of her classes, just too see what it's all about.
            *Shrugs* Go. Then read my post and Omega's clarification. Neil has a point, wushu can be fun, but he may have missed this comment, in your OP, which lead to our responses:
            My wife and I would like to choose a style that would help him to control his anger instead of lashing out without thinking. He does have trouble at school with "hitting" people, mainly bonking people on the top of the head while in the lunch line. He does this when he's bored or overstimulated.
            This describes my younger cousin. He does wushu and the school he went to has little focus on the discipline you are describing.
            We would like to find a style that can be used effectively later in life.
            He will not learn this at a large majority of Modern Wushu Schools. Their focus is doing forms, not the discipline you are apparently looking at for your child. Wushu, in context to the bio you posted, will not be effective later in life.
            Last edited by It is Fake; 9/17/2013 2:03am, .

Comment

One more thing in your post that are not showing up you mentioned training him yourself in wrestling. While this isn't a bad thing it does miss out on some of the things that he will get by doing Judo with other kids. Even though Judo isn't a team sport it certainly builds a strong very strong team bond much stronger than I have seen in many team sports.

Speaking of which you mentioned he is doing other team sports how is he getting along with the children in those sports? How is his behavior at practices and the what not?
              Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
              –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                One more thing in your post that are not showing up you mentioned training him yourself in wrestling. While this isn't a bad thing it does miss out on some of the things that he will get by doing Judo with other kids. Even though Judo isn't a team sport it certainly builds a strong very strong team bond much stronger than I have seen in many team sports.

Speaking of which you mentioned he is doing other team sports how is he getting along with the children in those sports? How is his behavior at practices and the what not?
                All the kids roughhouse when they are at practice, normal stuff for a 7 year boy.

Thanks for the video on Grace Wu, haven't had the chance to watch it yet. My theory behind Kung Fu was.... who do "I" know that does Kung Fu (no body) let alone a kid, I thought it would be cool. But since you say it's a dance school, he's not going there. I don't have my mind made up, if I did, I would not have asked on these forums.

As far as training him in wrestling, it wouldn't work out too well since we would have to find someone else his age/size to practice with..........just other kids in general, don't want him to miss out on that.

I had him watch some videos the other night, the 2013 World Championships in Judo, Wrestling, BJJ , TKD, and Karate... he liked the Karate the most... but I don't want to put him into an art that is mostly striking. He told me that Judo, BJJ, Wrestling "are boring"

I would like find an art that will teach both striking and ground if possible... not sure if there are many who do both. That is why so many do boxing/MT,Karate + BJJ/Wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa
                  Hey Valdis, have you considered trying out with your son?

You can then guage its utility for yourself?

It could be fun and benefit your relationship.

It's nice to be able to talk with my daughter about judo. It's our special thing.

She isn't mad keen on me coaching her though, which is a hard urge to control
                  Yes I have thought about going to a class with him, but I would want to take MT or BJJ

Comment

My comments are still taking at least 24 hours to show on the boards.

Right now I think we have it narrowed down to Judo, Karate and Kickboxing.

Comment

"facepalm. Yes, I've seen how bad it can get too. I'm really glad you guys can give such sound advice. You know because he's not observing or taking precautions now. I personally find it a bit patronizing the way you're communicating here."

Why patronizing? Why not graciousness?

Comment

Nothing I post is showing up.

Thanks for all the info but I'll take my questions to another forum.... hopefully one I can post in.

Best wishes to all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by atheistmantis View Post
                          "facepalm. Yes, I've seen how bad it can get too. I'm really glad you guys can give such sound advice. You know because he's not observing or taking precautions now. I personally find it a bit patronizing the way you're communicating here."

Why patronizing? Why not graciousness?
                          Well he has decided to go now that his post is not showing regularly.

As for your comments you have already stated that you are less than ignorant on the subject so your rhetoric is just a vein and stubborn attempt at staying relative in this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                            Well he has decided to go now that his post is not showing regularly.

As for your comments you have already stated that you are less than ignorant on the subject so your rhetoric is just a vein and stubborn attempt at staying relative in this discussion.
                            With respect I disagree. Please explain what less than ignorant consists of. I'm not touching vein, it speaks for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Valdis View Post
                              I had him watch some videos the other night, the 2013 World Championships in Judo, Wrestling, BJJ , TKD, and Karate... he liked the Karate the most... but I don't want to put him into an art that is mostly striking. He told me that Judo, BJJ, Wrestling "are boring"
                              I realise that you may not be posting again but if you still reading I would add the comment that enjoyment from watching and doing are very different.

I have heard lots of grapplers say competition is boring to watch and I think it can be without context like knowing the players or what each person is trying to achieve grip/throw wise but those same people enjoy grappling themselves.

Im the same with Skiing (been doing it since I was 7) I will appreciate the technique skill for about 3 mins then my attention starts to drift

Comment

Originally posted by atheistmantis View Post
                                With respect I disagree. Please explain what less than ignorant consists of. I'm not touching vein, it speaks for itself.
                                Yes, being a grammar Nazi would be a desperate move. You can disagree all you want you've already stated your case. You have admitted your lack of education and the impotence in disclosing your experience. So unless you're attempting to get the last word in to suit your narcissistic need to feel like you actually can contribute to the matter, I suggest you go back to do whatever it is you are actually good at.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X