Help finding a Martial Art for our 7 year old son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jspeedy View Post
    IF your kid is already hitting other kids martial arts might not be the best thing for him just yet. Have you thought about sports? Get him into a sport, it may just help him get into a good college some day, you can't say the same for martial arts. If you must teach your kid martial arts arts check out wrestling and of course the already mentioned judo.
    No No and NO

If your child is having problems with fighting martial arts with a good instructor will resolve this 9 times out of ten. Aggression control and self discipline are inherent in a good club. Judo being the most prevalent when it comes to this. Wresting while good generally does not instill the same principles that a good martial arts school will. BJJ is acceptable as well now since many BJJ academies have a Judo coach you kind of get a two for one. Just be careful and check out the scene before making a decision.

The chances of any child making it into college athletics in one of the three major sports is slim. The chances of martial arts improving your son and enriching his life is high as well as your own.

I've been training my son since he was 6. He is 20 now and we still train together. The kid is 7 and if you're excited about it and approach him with it he will be as well. Through your guidance and interest he will develop into a fine young man just be prepared for some detours.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Comment

My 10 year old son started bjj on his 5th birthday. He still loves it.

That being said, if bjj isn't an option, Judo would be my choice. I'd love to teach my son wing chun someday, but giving a child access to that level of lethality just cant' be morally justified. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Valdis View Post
        I've been trying to reply to some of you but none of my posts are being posted to the thread. It says that a "mod needs to approve" my posts first. It's been 24 hours and nothing has gotten through, someone check the mods house, they may be dead.
        Weird. Normally, after initial approval (as in your first post on the forum), that problem goes away. We were the subject of a massive spam invasion recently so the site owner set the new member post approval bar higher. As your difficulty illustrates, there have been some problems. Hopefully, this "post approval" rectifies the problem.

If not, I will monitor this thread to approve your posts for public viewing in the near future.

Edit: Note to our regular members, there are three previous posts by Valdis that have been approved for public view. Therefore, you might want to scroll back a bit to see his input on the thread.
        Last edited by jnp; 9/14/2013 10:13pm, .
        Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

What do you guys think about Baguazhang? When I looked it up they said it wasn't pure striking and wasn't pure grappling, some of both... which sounds really good but I don't know anything about the art.
          That's kung fu and I hate to say it, but never trust what you read about Chinese Martial Arts descriptions. If you have never practiced a CMA, wihtout advice, you can end up in a terrible school. It is harder to find a poor BJJ, Judo or wrestling coach. A CMA school search, better known as Kung Fu, is almost the exact opposite.

Comment

Please keep tabs on your son's anger issues. I'm sure you will. As time goes on he will most likely grow out of it. There is the rare occasion when the anger follows the child as they grow into adolescence to adulthood.

Comment

I said that is what I have been told.. not what I "worry about". If I was worried about real fights I wouldn't have taken Muay Thai off the board :)

Thanks for all the replys. So Judo, wrestling or BJJ so far. I can teach him wrestling, if it comes to that, so Judo and BJJ still options.
              What do you guys think about Baguazhang? When I looked it up they said it wasn't pure striking and wasn't pure grappling, some of both... which sounds really good but I don't know anything about the art.

I do like the point about restraining other kids rather than punch/kicking them.

So far, all good stuff.
              I would not recommend Ba Gua for a 7 year old. To many conceptual ideas for that age. Probably better for a young teen at best.

Originally posted by atheistmantis View Post
              Please keep tabs on your son's anger issues. I'm sure you will. As time goes on he will most likely grow out of it. There is the rare occasion when the anger follows the child as they grow into adolescence to adulthood.
              Why don't you enlighten us on your expertise in the area?

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                That's kung fu and I hate to say it, but never trust what you read about Chinese Martial Arts descriptions. If you have never practiced a CMA, wihtout advice, you can end up in a terrible school. It is harder to find a poor BJJ, Judo or wrestling coach. A CMA school search, better known as Kung Fu, is almost the exact opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                  I would not recommend Ba Gua for a 7 year old. To many conceptual ideas for that age. Probably better for a young teen at best.

Why don't you enlighten us on your expertise in the area?
                  Actually my bro is like that and he's had 5 run-ins with the police now, even attacking a policeman cause he was angry. He went to court for that one.

He's 17 almost 18 now. The last incident was when he was 17.

So yes, keep a tab on your child's anger.
                  Therapy, counseling, psychiatrists, none of that worked.

By no means am I an expert, but seriously, I've seen how bad it can get.

Comment

Here is the school http://www.gracewu.com/
                    It sounds like you have your mind made up and your looking for affirmations to feel better.
                    You just had a group of people with a range of backgrounds from recreational to professional fighter tell you take your kid to Judo and avoid CMA. Almost all of them with children.
                    You are very close to becoming what I would call an Askhole.

Here is something you need to consider its called aliveness

Now this is important in my less than humble opinion children especially young children like a 7 year old should get their aliveness through grappling.

Here is some interesting reading
                    http://judoinfo.com/new/alphabetical...-by-yonah-wolf

Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by Cuddles View Post
                      Actually my bro is like that and he's had 5 run-ins with the police now, even attacking a policeman cause he was angry. He went to court for that one.

He's 17 almost 18 now. The last incident was when he was 17.

So yes, keep a tab on your child's anger.
                      Therapy, counseling, psychiatrists, none of that worked.

By no means am I an expert, but seriously, I've seen how bad it can get.
                      *facepalm. Yes, I've seen how bad it can get too. I'm really glad you guys can give such sound advice. You know because he's not observing or taking precautions now. I personally find it a bit patronizing the way you're communicating here.

Comment

This is performance martial arts not combat martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                          This is performance martial arts not combat martial arts.
                          Kid would probably have a lot of fun doing wushu. I know the local kids that do it have a gas. I'm not overly fussed about teaching combat principles to 7 year olds.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                            Kid would probably have a lot of fun doing wushu. I know the local kids that do it have a gas. I'm not overly fussed about teaching combat principles to 7 year olds.
                            I am overly concearned with filling kids up with the heap of bullshit that comes with man dancing. Especially when said youth have just as much fun learning something like Judo that so happens to be practical.
                            Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                            –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

I think that to learn to deal with anger and the underlying strong emotions it helps to confront those feelings in a controlled environment.

I'm not sure how Wushu would do that. I know that Judo can, given decent instruction.
                              Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post

Yes, I was just clarifying.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X