Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Badly out of shape and eventually starting MT/BJJ... how to start training now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badly out of shape and eventually starting MT/BJJ... how to start training now?

Okay, so I'm terribly out of shape, and I kind of always have been. I've never been an athlete, but I'm starting to think that's a bad idea, and in the interest of not dying young because of my laziness I've been wanting to get in shape. The only time I ever really enjoyed doing anything athletic was when I did TKD when I was younger (9 year old black belt... yeah...), so I've been thinking martial arts are a good idea for me. I basically stopped the TKD in college when I realized it was completely useless... after a lot of research, I'm going to head to the local BJJ/MT school and spend some time there. Except that I can't start for another 10 months or so because the school is a decent drive and my schedule is pretty terrible until next summer.

All that said, I'm hoping to get some ideas for working out when I'm home until I can actually make it to the martial arts school. I've basically got no arm muscles at all (13 years of TKD ignored my upper body completely), and can't really do the obvious things like pushups and pullups well enough for them to be helpful. I've been in decent cardio shape a few times in my life (my med school had a free gym that I used for a few months... I was legitimately shocked when I got to a point where I could run 2 miles on a treadmill... it's been 5ish years since I was in a gym), but I'm definitely not in a place to start running any real distances.

Other than needing to suck it up and do things that I'm not good at, any advice for me? I'm hoping to do some exercises that build muscles that I'll be using in MT or BJJ, or just to get into some kind of cardio shape. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Bullshido. I moved your thread to Newbietown because it's the forum for introductory threads.

Good luck.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido

is there nothing closer that you could start earlier even if it wasn't bang on what you were looking for like western boxing or Judo. Its just 10 months seems a long time to be building up to something.

If your intent on waiting the time you could try swimming, you can either do endurance or do high intensity sprints its an all body activity and it low impact on your joints if by out of shape you mean carry a bit of extra weight.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Nickosaurus.

The 10 month wait basically boils down to a combination of a heavy work schedule this year (I'm in residency, so "years" still go by school year) and my second child being due early in 2014. Until the new kid is sleep trained, a whole lot of my help is needed at home, and the only time I'd be able to go to a class is right when my toddler is being put to bed. The timing's just unfortunate, but I'm patient enough to wait until July-ish

And thankfully I don't carry much extra weight... I probably just reach "overweight" by BMI, but nothing more than that. I'm more concerned about the complete lack of muscle mass ;-)

Comment

Hello and welcome to Bullshido, WWaYY.

Forst of all let me say that there is no need to "prepare" for future MT/BJJ trainings, as the preparation is the training itself, once you start... :)

If you absolutely, positively have no chance to join a gym or a MA school, there are tons of video on YT (search for Stephen Kesting or Jason Scully for BJJ drills, for example) and even in our special Bullshido video section that show some great excercises and drills to do on your own.

In the long term however, you need a gym with a qualified instructor and varying training partners for your overall improvement - motivation, competitiveness, real feedback, etc...

Good luck.

CLICK & WATCH
          :
          I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid shit back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
          " - by Vorpal

Comment

Are you seriously a vegan? Because if you are, don't bother. (yes I'm being discriminatory)

Comment

LMAO I was waiting for that answer, Omega Supreme! Yep, I'm a vegan. Not the kind who thinks that cutting out major parts of a typical diet somehow makes it healthier, though. I have a very interesting time trying to talk to those people. I can't tell if vegans have gotten crazier since I became one, or if I became more skeptical of woo since back then.

But yeah. If I need to eat ridiculous amounts of protein powder to build muscle I'll do it. I have no need to tell myself I'm doing this "naturally".

Comment

Start running, doing push ups look for some routine you can start to do

http://running.about.com/od/getstart...getstarted.htm

improve your cardio with jogging

Comment

Find something close by. Often guys who plan so far ahead to do something never get there, things change and you may not end up where you see yourself. If you like martial arts find something close by that is realistic for you. Find a workout regime via google search that fits your goals. I know a lot of guys that tell me what they're going to do, the problem is they never get there. Make up your mind and do something now, don't plan so far ahead. Even 10 months at a decent Karate school will offer some fitness and refresh you on the basics. Where are you located? I'm sure on of us here can recommend something close by.

Oh yeah, welcome to Bullshido! I'd also hesitate to call TKD useless. I think a lot of newbs get the idea that we only respect a few styles here. If you lurk more, you'll find most of the mods and senior members have done all the styles that get bad mouthed. There's a lot of martial arts that i think have some bad ideas and bad attitudes for guys that don't ever apply their craft to resisting partners. Those arts still may have some limited value. You said yourself you enjoyed TKD, you were active and exercising. So if nothing else TKD helped get you active, so I wouldn't say that is useless. Fo course if you want to fight MMA TKD isn't the best idea. It' all about your goals.

My good deed is done for the day. That's about all I'm going to do for sticking up for the classical MAists.

Comment

Burpees and yoga. You can do both in front of the TV, essentially for free. Burpees will get your cardio into shape, while yoga will improve your flexibility. You'll be glad for both when you get your first taste of MT and BJJ.

Good luck, and welcome to Bullshido.
                    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                      Burpees and yoga. You can do both in front of the TV, essentially for free. Burpees will get your cardio into shape, while yoga will improve your flexibility. You'll be glad for both when you get your first taste of MT and BJJ.

Good luck, and welcome to Bullshido.
                      Burpees Rock. Why am I the only one who's suggesting a diet change?

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                        Burpees Rock. Why am I the only one who's suggesting a diet change?
                        Because too much change at once can scare people off?

We've got some positive health change direction and alive MA training commitment that needs to be fostered first. Once he (assuming it's a he) starts exercising and craving protein that conversation will be far easier.

Edit: Also, definitely nothing to do with the NTown forum rules...
                        Last edited by cualltaigh; 8/25/2013 9:21pm, .

Comment

Fuck that. Diet is first.

Comment

Everyone can see the three posts by VeganWithaYoYo right? Site for some reason is putting it in moderation queue.

Comment

Originally posted by PizDoff View Post
                              Everyone can see the three posts by VeganWithaYoYo right? Site for some reason is putting it in moderation queue.
                              Can now.

Welcome to the site VW, apologies for assuming you were a man.

Originally posted by VeganWithaYoYo View Post
                              The 10 month wait basically boils down to a combination of a heavy work schedule this year (I'm in residency, so "years" still go by school year) and my second child being due early in 2014. Until the new kid is sleep trained, a whole lot of my help is needed at home, and the only time I'd be able to go to a class is right when my toddler is being put to bed. The timing's just unfortunate, but I'm patient enough to wait until July-ish

And thankfully I don't carry much extra weight... I probably just reach "overweight" by BMI, but nothing more than that. I'm more concerned about the complete lack of muscle mass ;-)
                              Yeah, firstly BMI was developed for population sized analysis and is quite misleading at the individual level. I wouldn't really bother with it.

Secondly, I've found that having a toddler is a fantastic upper body workout, having no real hips to rest them on.

Originally posted by VeganWithaYoYo View Post
                              But yeah. If I need to eat ridiculous amounts of protein powder to build muscle I'll do it. I have no need to tell myself I'm doing this "naturally".
                              As well as going the protein powder will you be supplementing to cover your iron, zinc, B12 and DHA intake?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X