savate mixed with sanshou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

savate mixed with sanshou

hi im not sure if im posting this in the right place but i just wanted to hear ppls opinion on this i going to be doing ma in a while and i came across these to styles that i really liked savate and sanshou would these styles be a good match, and pls dont say take muay thai its not for me and every 1 does it i just wanna be a bit different

I'm a little puzzled about your resistance towards muay thai, since lots of good sanshou is like muay thai with throws. Sanshou, being a ruleset rather than a style, teaches kicking that can vary from CMA/TKD/savate style whipping kicks, to kicks basically identical to muay thai, depending on the trainer. What's your training background at the moment?

Comment

What's available in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
        I'm a little puzzled about your resistance towards muay thai, since lots of good sanshou is like muay thai with throws. Sanshou, being a ruleset rather than a style, teaches kicking that can vary from CMA/TKD/savate style whipping kicks, to kicks basically identical to muay thai, depending on the trainer. What's your training background at the moment?
        well i always thought of it as a style more then a rule set i just like the idea of kickboxing with throws and every 1 and there mother does muay thai i'd just like to be different my backround at the moment is just regular kickboxing but i plan on moving to toronto i found they got a sanda gym and a savate gym,

Comment

Originally posted by clue_99 View Post
          well i always thought of it as a style more then a rule set i just like the idea of kickboxing with throws and every 1 and there mother does muay thai i'd just like to be different my backround at the moment is just regular kickboxing but i plan on moving to toronto i found they got a sanda gym and a savate gym,
          I'd say that if you don't have much of a martial arts background right now, and you're mainly into the idea of kickboxing with throws, train in sanshou at the beginning and maybe cross-train in savate later on.

Comment

The best solution is to try everything and see what school you like best. Visit multiple schools. You need to find a school that offers quality teaching and where you get along with the people. The style is secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by killface View Post
              The best solution is to try everything and see what school you like best. Visit multiple schools. You need to find a school that offers quality teaching and where you get along with the people. The style is secondary.
              I disagree about 63%.

Getting your desired results come first.

Most shitty schools have instructors and students who are easy to get along with and are very nice. They can also be excellent instructors they just instruct you to punch air, do forms, train with complete compliance and then reward you for paying your bill with a belt, but impart no fighting skills.

If you want a colored belt collection or cardio kickboxing take killface's advice. If you want to compete , fight, or exist outside your current comfort zone you may have to deal with assholes.

hi im not sure if im posting this in the right place but i just wanted to hear ppls opinion on this i going to be doing ma in a while and i came across these to styles that i really liked savate and sanshou would these styles be a good match, and pls dont say take muay thai its not for me and every 1 does it i just wanna be a bit different
              First off, what are your training goals?

Secondly if you want to just be a bit different than everyone else just GET BETTER than them.
              Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/30/2013 2:43am, .

Comment

Both stiles are great. Though if cross-training is a goal, why not cross-train grappling with striking and become a complete fighter? Cross training striking with striking is less effective. Choose one good school, like the san da and train as much as you can there, if u can only attend one or two classes a week in said school, and you can find the time to cross train, than complete it with savat or what ever.
                Again, both are potentially great!

Comment

every 1 and there mother does muay thai i'd just like to be different
                  what a bizarre reason to choose a martial art style.

the logical way to go would be to find the best person who trains fighters near you, and train with them.

Comment

Originally posted by erezb View Post
                    Both stiles are great. Though if cross-training is a goal, why not cross-train grappling with striking and become a complete fighter? Cross training striking with striking is less effective. Choose one good school, like the san da and train as much as you can there, if u can only attend one or two classes a week in said school, and you can find the time to cross train, than complete it with savat or what ever.
                    Again, both are potentially great!
                    ya im not that big on grappling i was thinking of taking judo but that wouldn't be for a long time

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist View Post

the logical way to go would be to find the best person who trains fighters near you, and train with them.
                    i know im weird like that lol

Comment

i know im weird like that lol
                      no, you're being an idiot. forget being "different" and go train with the best coach available.

Comment

no, you're being an idiot. forget being "different" and go train with the best coach available.
                        Well, "different" is nice, but it sure isn't "pretty" - "pretty" is what it's about.

I never met anyone who was "different" who couldn't figure that out ...

Comment

clue_99

What are your training goals?

Comment

Nah. Different is just different. If part of your goal is to not be boring or whatever. I honestly believe that one of the reasons that historic European traditions for Longsword are having such a successful revival is because it's different from the Japanese Kenjitsu that you can find much more readily.

Is Kenjitsu good? Depending on the instructor and lots of other things, yeah. But it's also pretty vanilla. German or Italian Longsword, on the other hand... Way more interesting. Partly because it's unusual.

"Different" can be very OK if it's part of your goals.

Peace favor your sword,
                            Kirk

Comment

Originally posted by lklawson View Post
                              Nah. Different is just different. If part of your goal is to not be boring or whatever. I honestly believe that one of the reasons that historic European traditions for Longsword are having such a successful revival is because it's different from the Japanese Kenjitsu that you can find much more readily.

Is Kenjitsu good? Depending on the instructor and lots of other things, yeah. But it's also pretty vanilla. German or Italian Longsword, on the other hand... Way more interesting. Partly because it's unusual.

"Different" can be very OK if it's part of your goals.

Peace favor your sword,
                              Kirk
                              look, if he has top quality coaching locally available in a variety of styles, then SURE he should pick what he likes, but let's be realistic here, he's probably in some shit town choosing between some not very experienced coaches from different styles, and if anyone within driving distance is actually qualified to coach fighters, then that's the one to train with.

OP, if i am wrong, please correct me with your location and the top level coaches you have to choose from.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X