Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Introduction

Hello Bullshido,

My name is Daryl, I'm a probation agent from Minnesota, and navy OIF veteran. My primary MA these days is kickboxing, though I am I very new to it. I'm far from being a serious, competition-minded kickboxer. I simply enjoy the training as a fun way to keep healthy and sane.

I have a number of years of Shotokan karate behind me, but decided to call it quits to focus on other priorities. I've also sampled a few other traditional MA including TKD and aikido. I suppose you could say that my presence here at Bullshido is a result of my coming to terms with the various (and valid) criticisms of traditional MA. Not to say I am anti-traditional MA or that I would never go back to one, just that I am slightly more informed now than I was a few years ago, and can (hopefully) make a better assessment of what a particular MA is or isn't.

Nothing wrong with TMA except in most cases their training methods are off for whatever reason.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Yeah, I totally get what you are saying. I guess if I had my way, Shotokan organizations would implement some more up to date, "relevant to modern fighting" methods in their training. But since I apparently can't have my way, I go to one place to learn the new, and another to learn the old.

I've been thinking about doing some boxing to compliment my kickboxing/ karate. I recently hurt my back trying to do some high kicks that were probably beyond my ability. I want to lay off the kicking for a while yet still keep active and do some training. Boxing seems the way to go. It's available at my gym and the same price as the kickboxing program.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

I've always said it depends on what you want. If realistic skills are your priority, you need to train in a realistic way. I like Shotokan for what it is (an art form and a sport), but it's not combat training.

Hope your back injury doesn't keep you out of the game.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone. And thanks for the concern, OwlMatt. The back issue isn't too bad, but still enough of a concern that I don't want to go back to kicking anytime soon. In fact, I decided to hold off on the boxing as well. Instead, I'm getting back with my old aikido group. It's been six months, but I'm sure it will come back if I get to practice consistently. Even when I was struggling with some back issues in the past, doing aikido rolls and breakfalls on the mat was oddly therapeutic.

Comment

Welcome to the site good-buddy.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

"Perform kata exactly; actual combat is another matter." G.F., Shotokan Niju Kun

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X