BJJ can be learned through osmosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ can be learned through osmosis

Stop your training! If you've ever watched UFC you're now a skilled fighter like this guy!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...143145461.html

He grapples like a guy who learned by watching UFC fights.

Comment

Did he actually choke him out, or just restrain him in a front headlock?

Comment

Looks like just restraint him and took a bunch of selfies.

Comment

That's BJJ ? Good thing he didn't pop the guys neck, would have been lawsuit time instead of hero time.

Comment

I always figured that grappling was a little bit more theory-transferable than striking.
            I mean, if I read a book on punching it's not going to make me any faster or more accurate; whereas watching Karo Parisyan sure as hell helped me in the clinch.

At the end of the day, I think just seeing a guillotine a few times is probably enough to show you how to do it against someone who's never been in such a choke before.

Comment

Originally posted by Gluckmann View Post
              I always figured that grappling was a little bit more theory-transferable than striking.
              I mean, if I read a book on punching it's not going to make me any faster or more accurate; whereas watching Karo Parisyan sure as hell helped me in the clinch.

At the end of the day, I think just seeing a guillotine a few times is probably enough to show you how to do it against someone who's never been in such a choke before.
              Sort of...... but not really

Comment

I watched women's gymnastics all night, but when I tried to do a backflip I nearly broke my neck. Thanks for making me think it's possible, random osmosis guy.

Comment

Originally posted by theAsthmatic View Post
                  I watched women's gymnastics all night, but when I tried to do a backflip I nearly broke my neck. Thanks for making me think it's possible, random osmosis guy.
                  Were you wearing a leotard and seguins? That's the key.

Comment

Why oh why did I scroll down and read the comments. /smh

Comment

Originally posted by Gluckmann View Post

I think untrained people tend to put their head in danger of a guillotine when clinching if they've never been put in one before. So, its the other guy's screw up too. In a striking example, I'm sure an untrained boxing enthusiast would have a decent chance of knocking out a guy who holds his fists at waist level and sticks his chin out while windmilling.

Regarding the guillotine/front headlock, a lot of people intuitively apply it by taking the same side arm and wrapping it around the head, rather than using the other hand to pull the head under the opposite arm. The former is easily resisted and/or countered, and someone with a little experience will use the opportunity to take the back.

Comment

Untrained people can get a rudimentary idea of how to choke/neck hug/restrain other untrained people by watching MMA. Before he started training, Joe Lauzon used to choke out his friends in backyard wrestling just by imitating what he saw in the UFC videos he had. Hell, I killed my little brother back in the day with a standing guillotine I learned from Ken Shamrock's book.

Joint locks are another matter, however:

Comment

What actually happened in that video? My eyesight is kind of funny and the shaky cam really screws with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cereus View Post
                            What actually happened in that video? My eyesight is kind of funny and the shaky cam really screws with it.
                            The dude with the dreads had him in a pro wrestling style arm wrench:

Comment

Ah thanks, I'll watch it again and look out for it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X