Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Women Really Handle Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister View Post
    We agree.

But it's no excuse for being a quitter.
    Sexual assault is no excuse for being not continuing training? So women should suck it up continue to allow themselves to be victimized for the love of martial arts? I mean, Kayla Harrison won a gold medal, so I guess all that rapin' was justified in the end.

You have no idea how trauma works apparently, and you have a shockingly cavalier attitude towards the affect that sexual assault can have on someone's mental well being. But since its just a woman, its apparently okay to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldiermedic View Post
      Sexual assault is no excuse for being not continuing training? So women should suck it up continue to allow themselves to be victimized for the love of martial arts? I mean, Kayla Harrison won a gold medal, so I guess all that rapin' was justified in the end.

You have no idea how trauma works apparently, and you have a shockingly cavalier attitude towards the affect that sexual assault can have on someone's mental well being. But since its just a woman, its apparently okay to you.
      Exactly! So much this! Let's play: switch gender roles. If a man at a gym was groped by a female, he might not be traumatized (possible he would be; I'm generalizing) but his desire to stay in the gym would not go over well with wife/girlfriend. He might also have moral objections. If a man is groped by another man, he would leave and no one would question it. Bottom line you don't accept being groped by your training partners.
      Last edited by mike321; 2/20/2013 2:22pm, .

Comment

I forgot: you also don't accept your training partners groping anyone else!

Comment

Can black people handle jiu jitsu?
          Can asians handle jiu jitsu?
          Can atheists handle jiu jitsu?
          Can catholics handle jiu jitsu?

The answer is going to be the same for any scenario depending on what you want to say.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

Originally posted by lukerawks View Post

The answer is going to be the same for any scenario depending on what you want to say.

This is one of the weirder verses of Blowing in the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Azatdawn View Post
              This is one of the weirder verses of Blowing in the wind.
              If by "blowing," you mean "pissing," then I'm with you on that.

Comment

In other news, women do just fine finishing boot camp and flight school so they can carry machine guns and fly F-14s.

Comment

Originally posted by lukerawks View Post

I heard the Jews pick Judo because it's cheap and widely available.

Also isn't it harder for Canadians to train? You know since they are all pussies.

Comment

Kayla Harrison didn't quit. You bring an example that reinforces my point, thank you so much.

Sexual assault is NO excuse to quit training. Sorry, yep. Maybe quit training in that particular place with the particular guy that did it.

BUT NO REASON TO QUIT, EVER.

LOL Don't put words in my mouth. Knighty.

My attitude towards women is that they should be treated EXACTLY like men in training.

THAT is the OPPOSITE of sexism.

No discrimination of any kind.

Comment

Originally posted by DerAuslander View Post
                      My school is unique in that I have more women training than men.
                      Yep.

And it's awesome!

Just sayin'

Comment

Kayla Harrison didn't quit. You bring an example that reinforces my point, thank you so much.

Sexual assault is NO excuse to quit training. Sorry, yep. Maybe quit training in that particular place with the particular guy that did it.

BUT NO REASON TO QUIT, EVER.

LOL Don't put words in my mouth. Knighty.

My attitude towards women is that they should be treated EXACTLY like men in training.

I think you seriously underestimate the potential impact of a sexual assault...

Comment

I stuck around for years in Aikido and I often showed up when nobody else did and trained by myself with the wooden sword.
                          That's totally the same thing as BJJ!

Comment

I see what you mean about avoiding discrimination by training with partners in a way that is blind to gender. On the other hand, some modern feminist thought points out the dangers of both alpha bias (exaggerating gender differences) and beta bias (ignoring differences).

Not sure how that might apply comprehensively in this situation, but one analogy would be the use of chest protection for women in kickboxing sparring. Not letting a woman spar could be alpha bias, but not recognizing the possible need for chest protection could be beta bias. So in that case treating women TOO equally could also discourage them from training.

Comment

Originally posted by DKJr View Post
                              Search 'toronto mcthrowdown'.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedgehogey View Post
                                That's totally the same thing as BJJ!
                                Thanks. I just spit water all over my office while reading that!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X