Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK should I train here? (Possible Bullshido?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK should I train here? (Possible Bullshido?)

If it is so close, it is a huge plus for you, so definitely worth your time to participate in a lesson. Even go to one and just look, and then go to the first free one and train.
    The fact that your trainer has any competition experience in kickboxing is a huge plus. He probably have no delusions about less practical stances and such.
    Go there once or twice for free, and than add some details about the place, and the people training there.
    It is just as important to check out your sparring partners/fellow trainers, especially the veterans. Are they fit? Do they look competent? Do you have people that compete, cross train..etc.
    Good luck, hope such a close place turns out to be good for you.

Comment

If what you want to learn is full-contact/shiny-pants or semi-contact kickboxing, the guy looks to be very qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by erezb View Post
        If it is so close, it is a huge plus for you, so definitely worth your time to participate in a lesson. Even go to one and just look, and then go to the first free one and train.
        The fact that your trainer has any competition experience in kickboxing is a huge plus. He probably have no delusions about less practical stances and such.
        Go there once or twice for free, and than add some details about the place, and the people training there.
        It is just as important to check out your sparring partners/fellow trainers, especially the veterans. Are they fit? Do they look competent? Do you have people that compete, cross train..etc.
        Good luck, hope such a close place turns out to be good for you.
        Thanks. I want to get out there in the coming weeks. I'd go tomorrow but I applied to a job recently and whether I get it would change some things.

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
        If what you want to learn is full-contact/shiny-pants or semi-contact kickboxing, the guy looks to be very qualified.
        Heh. Shiny-pants? Is that like an insult or something?

Comment

Originally posted by IkeH View Post
          Heh. Shiny-pants? Is that like an insult or something?
          A literal description of the trousers they wear while doing it:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DarrenHighKick.jpg
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	4326850
          It's called "Full contact Rules", but since there are now so many other kick-boxing rule sets which are also full contact and common in the US (Muay Thai, Savate, K1 etc.) that's kind of an unhelpful name. It describes a kick-boxing style invented by a bunch of US karate-ka in the 70's, generally no knees or elbows and kicks only to targets above the waist with the (padded) foot.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
            A literal description of the trousers they wear while doing it:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]14393[/ATTACH]
            It's called "Full contact Rules", but since there are now so many other kick-boxing rule sets which are also full contact and common in the US (Muay Thai, Savate, K1 etc.) that's kind of an unhelpful name. It describes a kick-boxing style invented by a bunch of US karate-ka in the 70's, generally no knees or elbows and kicks only to targets above the waist with the (padded) foot.
            Ahh Ok. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Did some more digging and found out they were an affiliate of this chain (wwwDOTshaolinkempoDOTcom/) and I saw some things that were unsavory there when I put the lead guy's name into YouTube. Hmm.

I'll still probably stop by and check out a kickboxing class soon because it's so close.

Comment

Yeah whatever

Comment

Save yourself find a Judo school near by such as
                  https://plus.google.com/114502389967...ut?gl=us&hl=en
                  or
                  https://plus.google.com/112229102361...ut?gl=us&hl=en
                  Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                  –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

I'd love to go to Combat Judo but I have a lot of wrist/elbow issues. Grappling hurts really badly. Punching doesn't hurt anywhere near as much.

Comment

IkeH.

Convince me you're not actually representing the school in question and you're not here just in an attempt at soliciting some free advertising ?

Like this dufuss:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119657
                      Last edited by Rock Ape; 1/27/2013 8:30am, .

Comment

What do you need me to do to convince you?

I mean you can see that my first thread isn't about this school so...?
                        Last edited by IkeH; 1/27/2013 6:45pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by IkeH View Post
                          What do you need me to do to convince you?

I mean you can see that my first thread isn't about this school so...?
                          There's a weird coincidence going on where there are two threads essentially talking about the same school(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                            There's a weird coincidence going on where there are two threads essentially talking about the same school(s).
                            Where is the other thread? Do you mean the original one I started? That one is a totally different school (a cardio kickboxing school, basically) with a different website.

Comment

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119657

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X