Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly qualifies as a Traditional Martial Art?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What exactly qualifies as a Traditional Martial Art?

    This may be the wrong website to bring up this argument due to the stigma that the phrase "traditional martial art" carries to some here. But here goes...

    Let's say 100 years from now if Gracie Jiu-jitsu is still around (or the earth for that matter) would it then be classified as a "Traditional Martial Art?"

    It can't just be how old a martial art is that determines its label as a TMA. Muay Thai is older than TKD, but it's not really thought of as a TMA. So the question is, what exactly makes a martial art traditional.

    I have my own ideas which I'll post once I get back from teaching some 1st and 2nd graders TMA for 90 minutes. But I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts.

    #2
    Chop Sockey. With Chop Sockey, it is TMA. Without Chop Sockey, no TMA.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by SpinKiK View Post
      This may be the wrong website to bring up this argument due to the stigma that the phrase "traditional martial art" carries to some here. But here goes...

      Let's say 100 years from now if Gracie Jiu-jitsu is still around (or the earth for that matter) would it then be classified as a "Traditional Martial Art?"

      It can't just be how old a martial art is that determines its label as a TMA. Muay Thai is older than TKD, but it's not really thought of as a TMA. So the question is, what exactly makes a martial art traditional.

      I have my own ideas which I'll post once I get back from teaching some 1st and 2nd graders TMA for 90 minutes. But I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts.
      Yeah, just did a thread similar to this right before the holidays. Basically I was saying that we should rename Traditional Martial Arts to something more like "Classical Training Martial Arts".

      Comment


        #4
        Forms? Is it forms? Does "traditional" translate as "learning through forms"?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
          Yeah, just did a thread similar to this right before the holidays. Basically I was saying that we should rename Traditional Martial Arts to something more like "Classical Training Martial Arts".
          I was in the middle of searching that out.
          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/arch.../t-118730.html

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by thrutch View Post
            Forms? Is it forms? Does "traditional" translate as "learning through forms"?
            No, traditional training includes many things other than forms.

            Comment


              #7
              Yeah, I know that but forms are present in them all right?

              In what people think of as "non-traditional" arts, forms aren't present.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by doofaloofa
                Judo is considered trad
                Actually, that's not technically true.

                Yes there's a strong association to the "traditional" or old school jujutsu from which Judo was developed however, any martial tradition created in Japan post Meiji Restoration is very much "gendai" - modern and not classical or "traditional" in nature because they have evolved or developed from their origins.

                Aikido, Seitie Iaido, some forms of Karate-do etc are all gendai budo but are all strongly based of older classical systems.

                "Classical" is a better descriptive however from a Japanese perspective there's already two specific terms which more than adequately define the difference :

                Koryu - Old school

                Gendai - Modern

                The reason why BJJ isn't generally considered traditional is because it is current and relevant to our present era. That's the same as how martial systems in Japan were considered when they were current and relevant to that era
                Last edited by Rock Ape; 1/11/2013 3:00pm, .

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by thrutch View Post
                  Yeah, I know that but forms are present in them all right?
                  No I don't believe so. There are traditional arts without forms.

                  Forms are specific to certain arts, not "old" versus "new".

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                    No I don't believe so. There are traditional arts without forms.

                    Forms are specific to certain arts, not "old" versus "new".
                    And I didn't mention "old" versus "new" - I was looking at traditional versus non-traditional, or at least what lots of people consider to be TMA.

                    Which are the "TMA" that don't do forms out of interest? I've had a good think and can't come up with many/any, although my CMA knowledge is limited at best so I accept there may be loads of kung fu styles that don't.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Muay Thai is traditional as they come, and I don't think there's much in the way of forms there.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        There was a brief window in which martial arts could be founded and be considered traditional.

                        If it was founded in 19th/ early 20th century: Traditional
                        If it was founded more recently: Non-Traditional
                        If it was founded millennia ago: Non-Traditional

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by thrutch View Post
                          And I didn't mention "old" versus "new" - I was looking at traditional versus non-traditional, or at least what lots of people consider to be TMA.

                          Which are the "TMA" that don't do forms out of interest? I've had a good think and can't come up with many/any, although my CMA knowledge is limited at best so I accept there may be loads of kung fu styles that don't.
                          I wonder if sumo counts as tradition. I don't think they have forms.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by MrGalt View Post
                            I wonder if sumo counts as tradition. I don't think they have forms.
                            Oooh. Good call.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by MrGalt View Post
                              I wonder if sumo counts as tradition. I don't think they have forms.
                              Is it a martial art, though?

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X