Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patfromlogan
    replied
    You must have a crush on W. Rabbit, don't you? Go do some pushups or something.
    Love those clips Mr. Rabbit.

And while I've picked up some rep (thanks) I'm sure that the OP will ignore my post. It would be too easy to do, but so hard to eat one's words, take the foot out of the mouth, pop the ego balloon, or whatever the hell he's doing his damndest to avoid.

Hey dalmoe, click on the link below and I'll bet if you respond you'll justify like an alky does hitting the bottle, reasons why you'll ignore a free workout. But DUDE!!! Please try to stop arguing with IIF and Rabbit and such. You are not going to win here. If you can manage to shut up, maybe, just maybe you can take the time to cross train. And I'd wager $100 that if you do cross train you will be soon saying the same stuff IFF and others are trying to get through your skull.
    Originally posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Here you go, open mat; low ($0.00) cost cross training: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...14#post2729614
    and having worked out with the Pedro Sauer lineage school Westside BJJ (Ogden and Logan), if they are any indication of the quality and ethics of BJJ in Utah, then there is no reason to avoid 'em. Their motto is Leave The Ego At The Door, totally friendly, no chip on shoulder or any other bullshit, nice people who work out hard.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/02/2012 11:44pm, .

Leave a comment:

• It is Fake
    replied
    Originally posted by dalmoe View Post
    I was criticizing the people at the school I went to not the art as a whole, and don't get me wrong I'm not back-pedaling,
    This is a backpedal. You were being insulting and now you are changing what you meant.

I still firmly believe that SD is an excellent martial art and is great for self defense. Also, the forms are not my favorite but I put up with them because they do do a lot to help with coordination and fitness.
    Irrelevant to your backpedaling. Nice try shifting the focus. I told you to enjoy what you do. This started because you ASSUMED no one practiced your art.

My personal focus is sparring and take it extremely seriously.
    If it really was you wouldn't be trying to defend SD 5-10 minute sparring.

I welcome as much contact as I can get.
    No, you don't. The contact at the CSCs is not enough.

And as a response to the statement that I got my "ass handed to me", the instructors actually would compliment me on my progress. I am not saying I did not get beat because I did as a was admittedly a complete noob, but I could hold my own in most situations.
    Thanks, this tells me why your experience turned bad IMO. Most beginners that "hold their own" have a no clue cockiness that permeates their character. Student retention always starts with "fuck you suck, Blue Belt beat this guys ass."/sarcasm You did NOTHING to change my opinion about "ass beating," you actually reinforced my assumption.

I am not one to quit something simply because I lose a couple of times.
    Interesting, I never said ANYTHING about you quitting. I implied you were disgusted because you got your ass handed to you.

I'm a competitive person and losing just inspires me to get better.
    So, you leave a competition school, go to a dead art with lower contact and engage in less sparring. Excuse me while I ignore your contradictions.

Leave a comment:

• It is Fake
    replied
    He's spewing the same things I did when my experience was negligible.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    The largest problem I have with mma is that it is mostly about outmuscleing an opponent instead of focusing on having a better technique.

Leave a comment:

• ChenPengFi
    replied
    I was criticizing the people at the school I went to not the art as a whole, ....
    Liar, you added the MMA vs people at that school dichotomy after posting this:

I studied wrestling in jr. High and Highschool and muay thai and bjj at absolute mma which is regarded as the best mma gym in utah (which still is admittedly not that good). The reason why the mma didn't work out was because everyone at the gym was a sloppy arrogant jerk and I felt it was way too expensive for what I was being taught which wasn't much at all. The reason I went to SD was because it makes you a better technical fighter than mma does. The largest problem I have with mma is that it is mostly about outmuscleing an opponent instead of focusing on having a better technique. And the school tended to have less self-righteous douchebags who weren't nearly as good as they thought they were.

..not that i'm giving you a pass to criticize the other students.

Leave a comment:

• itwasntme
    replied
    Re: I study Shaolin-Do

I was criticizing the people at the school I went to not the art as a whole, and don't get me wrong I'm not back-pedaling, I still firmly believe that SD is an excellent martial art and is great for self defense. Also, the forms are not my favorite but I put up with them because they do do a lot to help with coordination and fitness. My personal focus is sparring and take it extremely seriously. I welcome as much contact as I can get. And as a response to the statement that I got my "ass handed to me", the instructors actually would compliment me on my progress. I am not saying I did not get beat because I did as a was admittedly a complete noob, but I could hold my own in most situations. I am not one to quit something simply because I lose a couple of times. I'm a competitive person and losing just inspires me to get better.
    Dude, you probably "held your own" because your training partners knew you were a noob so they held back. Give MMA another chance. If you didn't like the atmosphere at that school, find a another. Hell find two if you have to. Judo and Boxing ftw!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• dalmoe
    replied
    I was criticizing the people at the school I went to not the art as a whole, and don't get me wrong I'm not back-pedaling, I still firmly believe that SD is an excellent martial art and is great for self defense. Also, the forms are not my favorite but I put up with them because they do do a lot to help with coordination and fitness. My personal focus is sparring and take it extremely seriously. I welcome as much contact as I can get. And as a response to the statement that I got my "ass handed to me", the instructors actually would compliment me on my progress. I am not saying I did not get beat because I did as a was admittedly a complete noob, but I could hold my own in most situations. I am not one to quit something simply because I lose a couple of times. I'm a competitive person and losing just inspires me to get better.

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    My point isn't to say that SD is better than mma
    Technically you said it was technically better.

Leave a comment:

• Waffle Iron
    replied
    It's the fighter that matters, not the style.
    So, learning the right style and the correct way to perform them doesn't matter as long as you're being nice to people???

Leave a comment:

• It is Fake
    replied
    I'm not trying to be disrespectful to mma.
    Yes, you are trying to be disrespectful.

This is disrespectful.
    The reason why the mma didn't work out was because everyone at the gym was a sloppy arrogant jerk and I felt it was way too expensive for what I was being taught which wasn't much at all.
    Quantity doesn't mean shit. You will NEVER memorize 900 forms let alone 200 to 300. The time spent memorizing those forms takes away from the practice of effective self defense and sparring.

And the school tended to have less self-righteous douchebags who weren't nearly as good as they thought they were
    See, this is insulting as well. This sounds like someone who had their ass handed to them and didn't like it.

My point isn't to say that SD is better than mma but that I enjoy it more and like the environment at the school where everyone is polite and helpful. It's the fighter that matters, not the style.
    Wrong the style and training play a VERY important part in self defense.

No, you do not call people "arrogant douchebag jerks that aren't as good as they think and not enough technique," then say you weren't trying to say SD was better.

Remember, that was your unsolicited response. If you would have said "I enjoy SD" in your own thread, there would be no issue. You posted in an existing SD thread in support of the art. So, please don't try to backpedal now.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/02/2012 10:18am, .

Leave a comment:

• KickPuncher
    replied
    I would also like to find somewhere where I could spar people of other styles with full contact. It's the fighter that matters, not the style.
    I think the place you're looking for is a Throwdown... unless you're seeking out the Quest with JCVD...

To your second point, yes and no. Old-as-balls argument, but while the fighter is the more important part of the equation, you need good tools to work with. There are a million threads you can look up so I don't have to dig up the dead horse in front of all of these nice people. So you have a glimmer of a valid point, but it's mostly horseshit.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel_tke
    replied
    My point isn't to say that SD is better than mma but that I enjoy it more and like the environment at the school where everyone is polite and helpful. It's the fighter that matters, not the style.
    This make all the difference in the world, in my opinion. If you like where you are, and enjoy the training, then that's what you should be worried about.

Afterall, the majority will train for years without actually getting into an altercation on the street.

Leave a comment:

• patfromlogan
    replied
    Here you go, open mat; low ($0.00) cost cross training: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...14#post2729614

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    I just wanted to add my experience in shaolin-do, however limited it may be, to the discussion. I have tried many different arts, including wrestling, muay thai, and bjj, but so far I have been most impressed with shaolin do.
    Why is memorizing the forms so important. Is your goal to have perfect form?

Originally posted by wetware View Post
    Hey! I've sat in horse stance for hours doing blocking sets...

:sadtroll:
    You just did it wrong.

Originally posted by dflanmod View Post
    Care to guess what I do from horse stance???
    He got it.

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
    Said the guy who's almost certainly practiced inward, outward, upward and downward forearm blocks while sitting in a horse stance.
    Single finger bridge.

Speaks for itself.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/02/2012 1:19am, .

Leave a comment:

• dalmoe
    replied
    I'm not trying to be disrespectful to mma. In fact once I get into a better financial situation I'll probably do some cross training in at least bjj to learn the grappling side of combat that SD does not cover as much as I would like. I would also like to find somewhere where I could spar people of other styles with full contact. I know that SD is not the only thing I need to be a well rounded fighter and I have never stated it is. My point isn't to say that SD is better than mma but that I enjoy it more and like the environment at the school where everyone is polite and helpful. It's the fighter that matters, not the style.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X