No announcement yet.

I study Shaolin-Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DT, the sad thing is, his instructor was NEVER taught to disrespect other arts like his student.

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post

Sounds to me like you showed up and they treated you like the noob that you were, and you got buthurt about it. But when you showed up to SD, they hugged you and nurtured you and that made you feel good, then you ignored the martial arts side of the equation and went all in.
    I hope not because that means his teacher has taken 5 steps backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by dalmoe View Post
      I studied wrestling in jr. High and Highschool and muay thai and bjj at absolute mma which is regarded as the best mma gym in utah (which still is admittedly not that good). The reason why the mma didn't work out was because everyone at the gym was a sloppy arrogant jerk and I felt it was way too expensive for what I was being taught which wasn't much at all. The reason I went to SD was because it makes you a better technical fighter than mma does. The largest problem I have with mma is that it is mostly about outmuscleing an opponent instead of focusing on having a better technique. And the school tended to have less self-righteous douchebags who weren't nearly as good as they thought they were.
      how exactly does one "study" wrestling? I have never heard somebody who actually wrestled call it studying.
      Ymas please? By all that is holy, ymas pleeeeeaaaaase.

Comment

I study Jelly wrestling.

I study the hell out of it.
        sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
        "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

The reason I went to SD was because it makes you a better technical fighter than mma does.
          Said the guy who's almost certainly practiced inward, outward, upward and downward forearm blocks while sitting in a horse stance.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
            Said the guy who's almost certainly practiced inward, outward, upward and downward forearm blocks while sitting in a horse stance.
            He did. Oh he did.

Comment

Care to guess what I do from horse stance???

Comment

Hey! I've sat in horse stance for hours doing blocking sets...

:sadtroll:

Comment

I studied wrestling in jr. High and Highschool and muay thai and bjj at absolute mma which is regarded as the best mma gym in utah (which still is admittedly not that good). The reason why the mma didn't work out was because everyone at the gym was a sloppy arrogant jerk and I felt it was way too expensive for what I was being taught which wasn't much at all.
                  Pedro Sauer lived in UT and I think there's a boatload of his black belts currently teaching there. UT has phenomenal bjj schools.

And of course Absolute is going to be expensive, it's a pro gym, they have a fight team, a ring a cage, weights, the place sounds legit. http://www.absolutemma.com/
                  Last edited by legomepanda; 11/01/2012 11:36am, . Reason: qoute fail

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                    I hope not because that means his teacher has taken 5 steps backwards.
                    Yeah, that's true. I think I was actually relating some of my own experiences!!
                    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to mma. In fact once I get into a better financial situation I'll probably do some cross training in at least bjj to learn the grappling side of combat that SD does not cover as much as I would like. I would also like to find somewhere where I could spar people of other styles with full contact. I know that SD is not the only thing I need to be a well rounded fighter and I have never stated it is. My point isn't to say that SD is better than mma but that I enjoy it more and like the environment at the school where everyone is polite and helpful. It's the fighter that matters, not the style.

Comment

I just wanted to add my experience in shaolin-do, however limited it may be, to the discussion. I have tried many different arts, including wrestling, muay thai, and bjj, but so far I have been most impressed with shaolin do.
                        Why is memorizing the forms so important. Is your goal to have perfect form?

Originally posted by wetware View Post
                        Hey! I've sat in horse stance for hours doing blocking sets...

:sadtroll:
                        You just did it wrong.

Originally posted by dflanmod View Post
                        Care to guess what I do from horse stance???
                        He got it.

Single finger bridge.

Speaks for itself.
                        Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/02/2012 1:19am, .
                        '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Here you go, open mat; low ($0.00) cost cross training: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...14#post2729614
                          "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

My point isn't to say that SD is better than mma but that I enjoy it more and like the environment at the school where everyone is polite and helpful. It's the fighter that matters, not the style.
                            This make all the difference in the world, in my opinion. If you like where you are, and enjoy the training, then that's what you should be worried about.

Afterall, the majority will train for years without actually getting into an altercation on the street.
                            Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

I would also like to find somewhere where I could spar people of other styles with full contact. It's the fighter that matters, not the style.
                              I think the place you're looking for is a Throwdown... unless you're seeking out the Quest with JCVD...

To your second point, yes and no. Old-as-balls argument, but while the fighter is the more important part of the equation, you need good tools to work with. There are a million threads you can look up so I don't have to dig up the dead horse in front of all of these nice people. So you have a glimmer of a valid point, but it's mostly horseshit.

Comment

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to mma.
                                Yes, you are trying to be disrespectful.

This is disrespectful.
                                The reason why the mma didn't work out was because everyone at the gym was a sloppy arrogant jerk and I felt it was way too expensive for what I was being taught which wasn't much at all.
                                Quantity doesn't mean shit. You will NEVER memorize 900 forms let alone 200 to 300. The time spent memorizing those forms takes away from the practice of effective self defense and sparring.

And the school tended to have less self-righteous douchebags who weren't nearly as good as they thought they were
                                See, this is insulting as well. This sounds like someone who had their ass handed to them and didn't like it.

My point isn't to say that SD is better than mma but that I enjoy it more and like the environment at the school where everyone is polite and helpful. It's the fighter that matters, not the style.
                                Wrong the style and training play a VERY important part in self defense.

No, you do not call people "arrogant douchebag jerks that aren't as good as they think and not enough technique," then say you weren't trying to say SD was better.

Remember, that was your unsolicited response. If you would have said "I enjoy SD" in your own thread, there would be no issue. You posted in an existing SD thread in support of the art. So, please don't try to backpedal now.
                                Last edited by It is Fake; 11/02/2012 10:18am, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X