2013, and re-connect with a bit of Arnis and Kali, so I am

sure to have questions about that.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I come before you, humble, sloppy-

styled, and eager to learn. I make no claims of martial

excellence, have no opinions that differ greatly from the

general consensus, and don't plan on trolling threads just to

get attention!
    Also, I am a ninja :tongue:

OK, I had brackets and weird punctuation in my post, and that seemed to freak it out. Worked now, obviously.

Comment

Where are you in Australia, bro?
      GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
      Originally posted by Devil
      I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
      Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
      I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
        Where are you in Australia, bro?
        North East Vic, mate. Wodonga. The land of utes, ugg boots and bogans. I'll be posted in Watsonia at the end of April 2013, though, and will be able to see what training Melbs has to offer.
        I've been in contact with the guys at OzOriginal Sambo, and they seem ok. They are going to run Combat Sambo classes soon, too.
        Where are you, man?

Comment

I think the problem with your other thread was that you copy pasted from Word or something.

Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Crow View Post
            Hey
            I've been an avid reader for some years, but never really had

anything to contribute that hadn't been said a thousand times

before -'Systema sucks', 'soft styles are more art and less

martial', 'real world is way different to ring octagon mat'

etc.- and really, I still have nothing to contribute,

except questions. I am not a competition martial artist, but I

do train for work, self defense, and to keep fit. I am just

not really motivated to 'compete' as such - but I do love a

good sparring match. I find it hard to find people to spar

with outside of my regular group, as I am 6'5", about 120kgs,

and I either eat up smaller dudes like a hot breakfast -A

simple matter of physics, rather than my 'mad skillz' - in my

honest experience, the bigger do NOT fall harder
            -and do the same

to dudes who may weigh what I do but are... well, fat and

slow, or I become a punching bag for a serious competition

mixed-martial artist who loves to spread pieces of a big,

essentially untrained (at least in the ring - if I could eye

gouge the bastards
            , it might be a different story- guy all

over the ground. :tongue:
            Yes, "the streets" being so different from the octagon that they're not comparable has been said a thousand times too many, here. Not by people who stick around long, though.

For BOTH bolded items number two and three, I present to you Yuki Nakai vs. Gerard Gordeau. Yuki was blinded permanently blinded in one eye by a gouge in this fight. According to wikipedia he's 5'7 154 pounds while Gordeau is 6'5, 216 lbs.

Don't count on size advantage unless you're also counting on only fighting someone with worse training than yourself.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Originally posted by Like Water View Post
              Yes, "the streets" being so different from the octagon that they're not comparable has been said a thousand times too many, here. Not by people who stick around long, though.

For BOTH bolded items number two and three, I present to you Yuki Nakai vs. Gerard Gordeau. Yuki was blinded permanently blinded in one eye by a gouge in this fight. According to wikipedia he's 5'7 154 pounds while Gordeau is 6'5, 216 lbs.

Don't count on size advantage unless you're also counting on only fighting someone with worse training than yourself.

Welcome to Bullshido.
              Cheers. Size IS an advantage, though. Hence, we have weight classes.
              That was a nasty match!
              I always hope I 'fight' someone with worse training than myself, if I get into a fight! For sparring and fun, though, it is a pleasure (albeit an often painful one) to go against someone who is better trained. Most MMA and grapplers I've mucked around with were better trained, and I learned something each time. However, I have a friend who weighs in at 80kgs, and he is a fairly decent BJJ practitioner. If we grapple, he can do all sorts of horrible things to me. If we just go at it, I best him every time. I can only put this down to size advantage. I am sure there are plenty of mean little bastards who could hurt me plenty in a real fight, but as I said - I always hope to be better trained than anyone I have to brawl with.
              Last edited by Luke Crow; 10/19/2012 2:38am, .

Comment

Welcome to bullshido.

Try not to consider eye gouges as your secret weapon too much.

Comment

Thanks Azatdawn. It's a good site. Reading heaps of good stuff, rather than just dropping in to do a search and find out if this or that is legit. Should have taken the time ages ago. Some really funny stuff on here, too. I had never heard of the 'Magician Style' fighting guy (I can't remember his name, but he was referenced along with Ashida Kim) until today. Hilarious! Reminds me of a book I once read where the author described various contraptions one could make for 'street defense', magician-style. I think it was even called 'The Magician's Arsenal'. Had silly things like christmas-decoration smoke bombs, fire-crackers with fishhooks taped on (you throw them and they catch on the thugs clothes) and - I swear this is true - a lapel flower that squirted fire. All the devices could be carried
                  on a Batmanesque utility-belt, which was basically bulldog-clips riveted to your belt. again - hilarious!

Lol - I don't really think of eye-gouges as a secret weapon. It was more a glib comment meant to imply that if I could fight dirty, and well, they couldn't, I might win.

Comment

At any rate, Welcome to Bullshido. Enjoy.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                      At any rate, Welcome to Bullshido. Enjoy.

Thankyou sir, I'm sure I will.

Comment

Cheers. Size IS an advantage, though. Hence, we have weight classes.
                        That was a nasty match!
                        I always hope I 'fight' someone with worse training than myself, if I get into a fight! For sparring and fun, though, it is a pleasure (albeit an often painful one) to go against someone who is better trained. Most MMA and grapplers I've mucked around with were better trained, and I learned something each time. However, I have a friend who weighs in at 80kgs, and he is a fairly decent BJJ practitioner. If we grapple, he can do all sorts of horrible things to me. If we just go at it, I best him every time. I can only put this down to size advantage. I am sure there are plenty of mean little bastards who could hurt me plenty in a real fight, but as I said - I always hope to be better trained than anyone I have to brawl with.
                        Right, this could only be due to size advantage. Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that BJJ trains with literally 0 strikes involved.

You already said it yourself though, people who crosstrain BJJ with a striking art (those MMA fighters you're talking about) are better fighters than yourself. So I guess this is where I ask which art you currently train in, my friend?

Comment

Originally posted by Like Water View Post
                          Right, this could only be due to size advantage. Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that BJJ trains with literally 0 strikes involved.

You already said it yourself though, people who crosstrain BJJ with a striking art (those MMA fighters you're talking about) are better fighters than yourself. So I guess this is where I ask which art you currently train in, my friend?
                          I box, and practice military combatives. I train for fitness and self defense. You can read about it in my profile, if it concerns you that much, my friend.

As to my BJJ friend, he also practices other styles, including boxing. BJJ is just his forte and passion. In this case, yes - I believe it is due to size advantage. It would not necessarily be an advantage in all situations - but nothing would be.

It is my opinion, and in certain situations, it is an undoubtedly correct opinion that has been proven many times. Think about most (not all - providing an example of how your tiny friend beat up a big bully won't nullify my point) fights you've seen in the pub etc... between mismatched opponents. The big guy usually comes off better.

Weight classes, remember? They are not for fun, they exist for fair play. A heavyweight boxer would pummel a featherweight to death. Speed and dexterity would count for very little.

I am not going to get into an argument of semantics over this, and I in no way mean to insult your chosen art. BJJ if a fine martial art, and a good practitioner should be respected.

To deny the reality of size advantage in a brawl is foolishness, though. I would question how much free for all sparring with various opponents, and actual fighting, one had done if they did make such a claim. If you feel the need to keep going on about it, hook in, but I shan't partake.
                          Cheers

Comment

To deny the reality of size advantage in a brawl is foolishness, though. I would question how much free for all sparring with various opponents, and actual fighting, one had done if they did make such a claim. If you feel the need to keep going on about it, hook in, but I shan't partake.
                            Cheers
                            He didn't deny it, he said there could be another factor besides size.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                              He didn't deny it, he said there could be another factor besides size.
                              I felt the his response had a sarcastic overtone, and I feel the denial was implied.
                              I've already gone on about it too much. I stated my views are an opinion, garnered from observation, experience and the enforcement of weight classes in most combat sports.
                              I have also acknowledged the probability of other factors, and never claimed that size advantage is relevant to all situations.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X