Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Good Martial Arts School

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking for a Good Martial Arts School

    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but these forums are hard to navigate and I wasn't sure where to post it.

    Anyways, I'm looking for a good traditional sword training school in the greater Binghamton area (Southern Tier New York). I'd be willing to travel 30-45 minutes if necessary. I'd prefer something in Iaido, Haidong Gumdo, Kendo, Kenjutsu, or Iaijutsu.

    I want to avoid McDojos at all costs, and I'd like a place that emphasize crisp, precise cuts and excellent form. Unfortunately this is the only school I've come across in the area: Southern Tier Martial Arts, it can be found by searching "Southern Tier Martial Arts Haidong Gumdo" on google. (I can't link the website thanks to Bullshido's forum rules.)

    Let me know if the school looks good or more importantly, if you have any advice or know of any other great sword programs within 30-45 minutes distance of traveling time.

    #2
    Hey pal, here in a little bit you are going to get ass raped for commenting in the wrong forum by a bunch of guys who don't like you. Don't take offense to it, just lay there and accept it. You need to read the stickies on all forums before you post. This will save you a bunch of headaches. This forum is specifically for people that have evidence to show that someone is promoting themselves as something they are not. Your thread is about to be moved to a waste pile. Welcome to bullshido, gain some thick skin.

    Comment


      #3
      Serious question, can a sword based MA be considered anything besides a McDojo? I mean you can't really practice full speed can you?
      Originally posted by Mr. Machette
      Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
      Originally posted by Raycetpfl
      Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by TexJohn View Post
        Hey pal, here in a little bit you are going to get ass raped for commenting in the wrong forum by a bunch of guys who don't like you. Don't take offense to it, just lay there and accept it. You need to read the stickies on all forums before you post. This will save you a bunch of headaches. This forum is specifically for people that have evidence to show that someone is promoting themselves as something they are not. Your thread is about to be moved to a waste pile. Welcome to bullshido, gain some thick skin.
        Alright, haha, I'll accept it then. Is there any way to move it to the correct section, or could you tell me where I should post it then?

        Honestly, this whole forum seems like it's massive trolling.

        A sword place can be something other than a Mcdojo, at least in the sense that you learn something more traditional or "correct" in form. An example would be using cuts that would work in real life. Obviously you're not going to bust out two sharp swords and spar, loser dies, winner is promoted to the next belt. Though that'd make for an interesting school, I doubt many people would pay to attend.

        Comment


          #5
          Then why'd you ask the question if you felt it was a trolling forum? You are the guy that goes to a KKK rally wearing a black power t-shirt aren't you?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by itwasntme View Post
            Serious question, can a sword based MA be considered anything besides a McDojo? I mean you can't really practice full speed can you?
            One McDojo has more to do with buisness practices IE belt fees and crazy bs like that.
            2nd to answer your real question yes, weapon based systems even sword based ones can certainly be trained with aliveness. Take a look at Kendo, Fencing, HEMA, all are sword based systems that people hit each other.
            Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
            –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Bgajdor1 View Post
              A sword place can be something other than a Mcdojo, at least in the sense that you learn something more traditional or "correct" in form. An example would be using cuts that would work in real life.
              "correct" form isn't what your looking for that is bordering on the issue that most of us here have with a lot of the Traditional Martial arts. Where basically its nicely choreographed fighting dance moves. What your looking for if you want useable sword skills is a style that trains in an Alive manner. What is aliveness you ask?
              Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
              –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Bgajdor1 View Post
                Honestly, this whole forum seems like it's massive trolling.
                Welcome aboard.

                A sword place can be something other than a Mcdojo, at least in the sense that you learn something more traditional or "correct" in form.
                Fair enough.

                An example would be using cuts that would work in real life.
                Ok, now I'm not sure about your answer anymore. Nevermind this after reading goodlun's post.

                Obviously you're not going to bust out two sharp swords and spar, loser dies, winner is promoted to the next belt.
                I'd argue you were training at the wrong school.

                Though that'd make for an interesting school, I doubt many people would pay to attend.
                We call those people pussies.

                Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                Then why'd you ask the question if you felt it was a trolling forum? You are the guy that goes to a KKK rally wearing a black power t-shirt aren't you?
                I also wear it in biker bars and when I'm trying to pick up the ladies.

                Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                One McDojo has more to do with buisness practices IE belt fees and crazy bs like that.
                2nd to answer your real question yes, weapon based systems even sword based ones can certainly be trained with aliveness. Take a look at Kendo, Fencing, HEMA, all are sword based systems that people hit each other.
                I guess I figured something would be lost when transitioning from the stick sword thingy to the real sword thingy. But I see what you're saying.
                Originally posted by Mr. Machette
                Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
                Originally posted by Raycetpfl
                Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I know shit about swords or sword schools. Since this has been moved, Welcome to Bullshido.

                  I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I very much liked the aliveness video by Matt Thornton, but I'm going to play devil's advocate here and bring up a few points.

                    First, regarding correct form. Form is important and should not be overlooked. It should be trained with "Aliveness", so you can apply techniques and see if they work or not. If they work, great. If not, then discard them. Some of you mentioned Kendo and Fencing as alive weapons training. It's very much alive that you're fighting with resisting opponents. However, the cuts in Kendo are sloppy and often use a flick of the wrist to hit the opponent and "score first". In a real sword fight, you would have to commit to the cutting action more and strike through the target to kill the other person, a simple flick of the wrist just won't suffice to win an actual "battlefield" opponent.

                    At the same time, by Matt Thornton's definition of aliveness, Olympic WTF Taekwondo Sparring is very much alive. The opponent will evade, counter with a kick of their own, or rarely parry. The opponent resists getting hit, and the rounds are continuous. Thus, WTF Taekwondo is great for aliveness. However, I think it takes so much heat since the rules limit it's use in a self-defense scenario (no punching to the face, no grappling, no close quarters combat, no kicks below the waste, punches rarely scored when they do hit the hogu, etc). If the rules were modified to something more similar to Kyokushin, Taekwondo could be a very effective art for self-defense.

                    Basically, there's nothing wrong with the inherent techniques in Taekwondo, just the ruleset. However, it is still very much alive as a sport under that specific ruleset.

                    Let me know if I've got the hang of this aliveness approach, and what you think of my argument regarding form. Thanks for welcoming me to the forums guys.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Well if your not hung up on Japaneses weaponry HEMA is really in my opinion your best option.



                      and just for fun

                      Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                      –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

                      Comment

                      Collapse

                      Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                      Working...
                      X