Bartitsu School of Arms 2012 video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bartitsu School of Arms 2012 video

A "video memoir" of the recent Bartitsu School of Arms seminar/conference held at the Forteza Fitness and Martial Arts studio in Chicago.

The aim of the School of Arms is to continue the cross-training experiments (pre-WW1 jujitsu, catch wrestling, classical boxing and the Vigny method of stick fighting) that were left as a work-in-progress when the original London Bartitsu Club closed down in 1902.

The three-day event began with a field trip to the historic Hegeler Carus Mansion in LaSalle, IL and an extended tour of the mansion's gymnasium, which is believed to be the oldest surviving private gym in the US. Back in Chicago that evening, School of Arms participants joined the audience of the play "Susan Swayne and the Bewildered Bride", an action/comedy/drama set in the late Victorian era and featuring some Bartitsu-influenced fight scenes.

The video features excerpts from the two days of cross-training with instructors Allen Reed, Keith Jennings, Tony Wolf and Mark Donnelly as well as some informal sparring matches and highlights from the Antagonisticathlon (a Sherlock Holmes-themed martial arts obstacle course).
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

For anyone in the Chicago area who may be interested in a closer look at the School of Arms venue, Forteza Fitness and Martial Arts (shown in the video above), they are holding an open house this weekend as part of this event - http://ravenswoodartwalk.org/ . The weekend will include demonstrations and mini-classes in Bartitsu, historical fencing, Forteza Combatives self defense, etc.
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Comment

That looked like a great time. Wish I could have been there.

Comment

That did look fun. Was there a bar in there serving pints of ale? There should be!

Comment

That looked like a great time. Wish I could have been there.
          Next time ...

Comment

Originally posted by kelvis View Post
            That did look fun. Was there a bar in there serving pints of ale? There should be!
            Our venue for dinner and drinks on Saturday night was the Victorian themed side-room of a local bar, just two blocks away from the School of Arms. Perfect way to end a day of Bartitsu.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes knew this! Well if he were a real person that is...

Comment

Originally posted by xxax View Post
                Sherlock Holmes knew this! Well if he were a real person that is...
                Are you the fucker that stands up and yells "it's not for real" during the movies? If you are, just stop that.

Comment

Blatant plug - Forteza Fitness and Martial Arts, the headquarters of the Bartitsu Club of Chicago, is also currently running a project towards turning a dusty old store-room into a neo-Victorian style ladies' and gentlemen's clubhouse. It will include a lending library, art gallery of rare 19th century martial arts prints and a multi-media learning center (plus a secret passage entrance). All info., including video, at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cr...house?a=498944 .

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
                    Our venue for dinner and drinks on Saturday night was the Victorian themed side-room of a local bar, just two blocks away from the School of Arms. Perfect way to end a day of Bartitsu.
                    That's awesome!

Comment

Yeah, it kind of was. The whole theme of the School of Arms was to make it into a three-day event, rather than just another martial arts seminar.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom .C View Post
                        Are you the fucker that stands up and yells "it's not for real" during the movies? If you are, just stop that.
                        How did you know....

Comment

I gotta say, that gives me a good reason to go to Chicago one of these days. What they got going on there looks like a good time, especially the obstacle course.
                          I've heard a lil about bartitsu and what I've heard has interested me so far.

I'd like to find something like this in the Wichita area.

Comment

Originally posted by HashMajin View Post
                            I gotta say, that gives me a good reason to go to Chicago one of these days. What they got going on there looks like a good time, especially the obstacle course.
                            I've heard a lil about bartitsu and what I've heard has interested me so far.

I'd like to find something like this in the Wichita area.
                            We run the Antagonisticathlon (obstacle course) every three months or so. The Bartitsu Club of Chicago doesn't have belt gradings, etc. so the Antagonisticathlon is a fun, challenging way to test progress and keep motivation up. Some people make a small notch in their training cane for each one they've done.

Don't know of any Bartitsu groups in Wichita, sorry.

Comment

I figured not. *shrug* Anyways, is there manuals or videos I could find to whet the appetite until I find a bartitsu club to train in?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X