Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 1 year of BJJ this is how I feel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 1 year of BJJ this is how I feel...

Well its been one year of BJJ and this is how I feel.

I have developed quite a love hate relationship with it. Was even dreaming about rolling last night and it was a happy dream, for better or worse I am stuck with BJJ.

I keep telling myself that anything that makes me despair this much has got to be good for me. I hope that's true.

If I remember correctly, I was in exactly the same place after a year.

Can't say I have "hate" moments anymore; but that'd only be because I've finally accepted my incompetence, not because I've improved so noticeably.

When I get down about my skill-level, I just take a round off from getting my ass worked, and roll with someone new to the gym. It's the best way to remind yourself how far you've come.

Comment

Originally posted by Like Water View Post
      If I remember correctly, I was in exactly the same place after a year.

Can't say I have "hate" moments anymore; but that'd only be because I've finally accepted my incompetence, not because I've improved so noticeably.

When I get down about my skill-level, I just take a round off from getting my ass worked, and roll with someone new to the gym. It's the best way to remind yourself how far you've come.
      This - rolling with a total newbie shows how much you have improved. Remember that as you're getting better at bjj through regular training so is everyone else.

Best way to get even better and gauge your progress would be to enter lots of competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Auszi View Post
        I keep telling myself that anything that makes me despair this much has got to be good for me. I hope that's true.
        At least you're not into golf. That's a way more expensive way to get depressed.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
          At least you're not into golf. That's a way more expensive way to get depressed.
          I have been known to enjoy a round of nine and was looking buying some clubs....I must hate myself.

Comment

That poster should hand prominently in every BJJ Gym in america.

Bow to master Helio Gracie, bow to the poster of wisdom, let's warm up.

Comment

I've been rolling for 12 years and as I'm sure you already know, there will ALWAYS be guys that will make you feel incompetent on the mat

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                Now we just need a way to combine the two....

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                  Now we just need a way to combine the two....
                  "The price is wrong, bitch!"

Comment

I'm only at it three months. One day I hope to rise to the level of incompetence. Right now I'm something far worse:)

Comment

Forget everything else, concentrate on learning to enjoy the training. All aspects of it, including getting crushed. After that its easy.

Comment

The way i approach BJJ is with a concept and goal based method. I like to decide on one thing I want to try to do. ex: triangle chokes, passing the guard, retaining guard, escaping the mount ect.. then allow myself to get put in a good environment for this then work to get it. Now the the focus has shifted from not getting tapped to accomplishing the one goal, the only way to lose is to never go for it.

I think this makes it easier to see your progress and has lead to a better outlook on rolling.

Oftentimes, I base what I need to work on off what areas in my game caused me trouble in my last roll.

Comment

Originally posted by wingchunx2z View Post
                          The way i approach BJJ is with a concept and goal based method. I like to decide on one thing I want to try to do. ex: triangle chokes, passing the guard, retaining guard, escaping the mount ect.. then allow myself to get put in a good environment for this then work to get it. Now the the focus has shifted from not getting tapped to accomplishing the one goal, the only way to lose is to never go for it.

I think this makes it easier to see your progress and has lead to a better outlook on rolling.

Oftentimes, I base what I need to work on off what areas in my game caused me trouble in my last roll.
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          Oh hey for some reason I can't PM, no idea why, but to answer your question yeah that's where I train.

To contribute:
                          I realize that in the course of training there will be plateaus but I'm still in the "rapidly improving" stage (only been training a few months now) and I sort of dread the prospect of a time coming where I just feel like I won't be getting any better, how do you get through that besides "keep training"?

Comment

Originally posted by Israfel View Post
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            Oh hey for some reason I can't PM, no idea why, but to answer your question yeah that's where I train.

To contribute:
                            I realize that in the course of training there will be plateaus but I'm still in the "rapidly improving" stage (only been training a few months now) and I sort of dread the prospect of a time coming where I just feel like I won't be getting any better, how do you get through that besides "keep training"?
                            Cool, I went to tampa muay thai for a fitness class and ended up staying for the sparring. Awesome facility and great guys.

Comment

Originally posted by wingchunx2z View Post
                              Cool, I went to tampa muay thai for a fitness class and ended up staying for the sparring. Awesome facility and great guys.
                              Yeah the instructors are all pretty awesome in their own different ways and the whole atmosphere makes you feel welcome and respectful. I'm glad I picked this gym to go to and plan on staying here for a long time. Did they let you spar or did you just stick around to watch? They normally frown on sparring with "outsiders", one time this totally inexperienced girl came for a few classes and then started in on one of the advanced girls to spar with her because she "wanted to see what she had"...the girl in question who I have at least a 60 lb weight advantage on who I'm still 100% sure would kick the everloving shit out of me. She politely declined but I thought the whole thing was pretty funny

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X