Obligatory Noob Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obligatory Noob Introduction

Welcome to Bullshido. 2 thumbs up for being able to use paragraphs!
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido. I like the paragraphs too, but most important, the fact that you saw red flags when the Shotokan school went into sales mode. Good looking out.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

OSSU!
        your story is very similar to mine I can tell you that
        Welcome to bullshido

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

Originally posted by masterquack View Post
          My interest started returning to karate when I noticed that there was a Kyokushin school in my area. I still hadn't seen the light with MMA, boxing etc, and believed they would be too "brutal" for me and wanted to do something that was both "realistic" and "traditional".
          This part cracked me up. Kyokushin scares the crap out of me. I found it funny that you chose one of the toughest Karate styles, but thought MMA was too brutal.

I'd rather spar under MMA rules any day as opposed to Kyokushin. With MMA, I have the option of taking someone down to stop them punching me. Not so in Kyokushin.

Although, truth be told.that has more to do with my miserable striking skills as opposed to anything else.
          Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
            This part cracked me up. Kyokushin scares the crap out of me. I found it funny that you chose one of the toughest Karate styles, but thought MMA was too brutal.
            I think the whole wearing karate gi and doing kata and such kind of hooked me in. It was very much like my Shotokan training as a kid and so I felt safe (little did I know...). Also the dojo I train at has different kinds of classes on different nights, so the “beginner” classes I attended while trying it out were basically just traditional karate, while only later when I discovered the other classes did I find the hard sparring and conditioning.

On the flip side when I looked at boxing or MMA, especially on youtube, all I would find was big sweaty men in blood baths (generalizing, but these striking images are tend to be what sticks in ones head when you don’t know anything about these arts), which to me at the time (and probably still now) was frightening.

I think Kyokushin has acted as a good bridge between these two worlds for me. By roping me in with the traditional karate stuff, and making me feel safe and at home, it’s allowed me to push over into the hard sparring world at my own pace.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X