ApexPredator's Q and A thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ApexPredator's Q and A thread

I've really been interested in ninjitsu but unfortunately I've heard that the lineage is dead but I was just wondering if you could still learn it somehow because surely the masters must of written some of this down or something. I don't want to get into bakinjan because from what I've read on this site I don't think that it is legitimate. Thanks.
    Last edited by jnp; 7/18/2012 9:09pm, . Reason: Changed title because of 8 merged threads

Okay, first off, this is freaky. I literally just looked up the etymology of the word apex because the term "Apex Predator" is going to feature prominently in a project I am working on.

Secondly, if you've read enough about Bujinkan on here to know it is crap, then you should have either stumbled on, or you should read the countless threads that say that learning ninjitsu from stuff written down is unlikely.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Originally posted by Devil
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
    I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

What is it about ninjutsu that you want to learn, exactly?

Comment

3 threads all with the same title in the same forum? Hit enter too many times?

Comment

It's not that it's dead; ninjutsu is very much alive, as evidenced by the vast number of ninjutsu schools in stripmalls across middle America.
          The problem is that, as a martial art goes, it's really sort of bad.

Comment

welcome to Bullshido - you've come to the right place. Can anyone say why his post count is '0' even though he obviously has a post? Am I missing something?

Comment

there are texts on ninja tactics like the shonininji, but they don't form a martial art or combat techniques. many japanese schools have ninjutsu elements, but what you are looking for doesn't exist. my take on the bujinkan is that they mixed the historical stuff with some jiujitsu and weapons techniques, added a ninja flavour to it all. the result is an ineffective martial art and a home for fantasy types.

Comment

oh and there's worse than the bujinkan, don't let anyone tell you they 're practicing some ancient hidden lineage in Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by ApexPredator View Post
                  I've really been interested in ninjitsu but unfortunately I've heard that the lineage is dead but I was just wondering if you could still learn it somehow because surely the masters must of written some of this down or something. I don't want to get into bakinjan because from what I've read on this site I don't think that it is legitimate. Thanks.
                  You've read about ninjitsu on this forum already, and you're still interested in learning it? Odd. What exactly are you looking for in a martial art, then?

Comment

This is probably the most Ninjitsu-like of the alive arts.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoseikan_Budo

Failing that, you could probably turn yourself into a fair approximation of a ninja if you trained in FMA, Judo and Parkour. (Weapons, Throws, Evasion).

Comment

You want to be a modern day ninja?
                      Well that can be done very simple: join the Special Forces branch of your countries Militairy.

It has the same ratio of unarmed combat to weapon based combat as traditional Ninjutsu had, you dress up in the Militairy attire suited for the present day age, just liked they did a few hundred years ago (black pyama's are a Hollywood invention coming from the Japanese Puppet Theater) and only a few have the capabilities to become a Special Forces member, just like only a certain elite of the Samurai class could perform the Ninjutsu tactics.

Now join the Militairy!

Comment

From what I've read ninjutsu was less of a martial art as a lot of the techniques were actually taken from other martial arts. Ninjutsu is more to do with hiding, infiltration, disguise and a whole lot of psychology.
                        You should check out the shoninki (which has little or no martial arts in it as a word of warning) Picked it up in waterstones too, handy! The version you'll get in there is apparently the best translation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
                          Well that can be done very simple: join the Special Forces branch of your countries Militairy
                          ^^^^This is the only way to be a real Ninja.^^^^

That shit you read in the magazines and the old Sho Kosugi movies you watched was never real, except as a marketing ploy in the 80's. Many fell for it, but it was a ploy, nonetheless.

BTW, Welcome to Bullshiod.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
                            Well that can be done very simple: join the Special Forces branch of your countries Militairy.

It has the same ratio of unarmed combat to weapon based combat as traditional Ninjutsu had, you dress up in the Militairy attire suited for the present day age, just liked they did a few hundred years ago (black pyama's are a Hollywood invention coming from the Japanese Puppet Theater) and only a few have the capabilities to become a Special Forces member, just like only a certain elite of the Samurai class could perform the Ninjutsu tactics.

Now join the Militairy!
                            Lol Best advice ever.

Comment

I did Bujinkan at a few different places. All under one of the first American Shihan. I had some pretty good teachers but it wasnt enough for me so I started doing other martial arts. Depends on what type of person you are I think. If you aren't a very physical person or frail its a great martial art. Despite what people say on here there is plenty to learn from it as it teaches traditional Ju Jutsu with a little nerd filling and sprinkles on top. Realized it really wasn't "my scene" and kind of moved on minus when I don't have anything to do I train in it. But yea Ninjutsu doesn't exist....even the Bujinkan say its "Taijutsu" because they were so tired of taking an ass pounding for using that word. It's a farce. I was going 5 to 6 times a week at one point and still getting promoted at the same pace as people who came once a week on Sundays. Anyone with any common sense and martial arts background know its watered down Ju Jutsu with a little bullshido to get the trekkys and star wars fans interested

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X