Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A noob's Introduction!

Hello there, Bullshido, et al.

I'll get right out and admit that I know jack shit about martial arts.
    I have a sedentary job at an alcohol and drug treatment center on the overnight shift, and I gained about 250# after high school (topped out at around 415#), though now I've lost around 110# of that, leading me to this svelte and lean 298-305 that you see before you (it fluctuates, I just can't seem to lose anymore than that.)
    I have a martial arts education that goes back about 18 years (I'm 36) and was at Kenseido in San Antonio. I made it to yellow belt, then dropped out in favor of a job. The weight I hade gave me some nasty health problems, bad back and knees, for instance, and the smoking I took up (ohhhh, it was so COOOOOOL back then *wink wink nudge nudge) hasn't helped at all.

I'd like to get into a martial art for the experience of it, the self-defense (right now all I do is pack a firearm with me everywhere, legally, of course), and hopefully, some weight-loss and rehealthification (is that even a concept, let alone a word?).
    I had originally intended to pursue Aikido, mainly because a dude I knew in high school made it out to be God's gift to 't3h d3adly', but after having read the forum, I see that was entirely in error. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there, in the esteemed opinions of those duly assembled, any redeeming quality to Aikido?

2) Would Judo be too rough on my rapidly aging, and broken-down frame?

I appreciate the opportunity to use the forum and converse with it's denizens, minions, hangers-on, fanboys (and girls), masters, owners, and thinkers.

And yeah, I wear my hair in a top-knot. my coworkers think its gay, but my wife loves it. Wife:1 Coworkers:0 ;):aintthatsomeshit:

Welcome to Bullshido.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

1)The one redeeming quality of Aikido: wearing your hair in a top not gets you an automatic promotion to green belt.

2)I hate to discourage anyone from trying out Judo, because it is such a solid martial art (especially for the price) but it is fairly injury prone compared to others. Mostly small injuries, sprained toes and fingers; but you can get tossed pretty damn hard, and anything can happen before you've gotten the whole "learning how to fall" thing down.

Have you considered BJJ? Or is that out of the question because of price or some other factor?

Comment

Originally posted by Like Water View Post
        1)The one redeeming quality of Aikido: wearing your hair in a top not gets you an automatic promotion to green belt.
        LOL. Hmmm, maybe... nah.

2)I hate to discourage anyone from trying out Judo, because it is such a solid martial art (especially for the price) but it is fairly injury prone compared to others. Mostly small injuries, sprained toes and fingers; but you can get tossed pretty damn hard, and anything can happen before you've gotten the whole "learning how to fall" thing down.

Have you considered BJJ? Or is that out of the question because of price or some other factor?[/QUOTE]I rather figured re: judo. BJJ to my knowledge isn't out of the question, I just was only sort of peripherally aware of it until about 30 minutes ago. same goes for the 'UFC' (seen ads for the DVDs on TV, but never paid attention. Now I'm interested... And thank you Slamdunc and Alex for your welcomes :D

Comment

Hi, I might be going out on a limb here, but I was overweight my whole life. Topped out at 295 on the day after Memorial Day last year. I went to the doc and he scared the shit out of me with a warning of heart problems, type 2 diabetes, etc. I went and had my testosterone checked. I was low...really low. It is quite common to have low T in your late 30's if you've been consistently overweight. Also those of us with large amounts of belly fat tend to have higher estrogen levels as well. Anyway, I've gotten treatment for the condition and took off 100 pounds of fat while putting on 25 pounds of muscle. I'm the proud owner of a 33 inch waist...coming down from a 46. I would definitely recommend you get your testosterone levels checked and I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's low. You'll be amazed at how good you feel, and I guarantee your wife will be smiling for months at a time.

After getting into shape, I started taking bjj a few weeks ago. My only regret is not doing it sooner. It's hard on the body, but nothing too terrible. Just tap early and often when rolling.

Comment

Why not boxing? You'll get a vicious workout, and no throwing/takedowns to break your aging body. You can pick up grappling when you get in better shape.
            "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
            DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
            Originally posted by Devil
            Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
            Originally posted by Plasma
            At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
            Originally posted by SoulMechanic
            Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

I had done nothing but sit on a couch for 5 years when I started BJJ. Dont get sucked in by the " i have to get fit, then I'll do it" trap. just go. If you're in a good club/school they will expect you to do your best and then work up, not miraculously pump out a whole lot of press ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakeha View Post
                I had done nothing but sit on a couch for 5 years when I started BJJ. Dont get sucked in by the " i have to get fit, then I'll do it" trap. just go. If you're in a good club/school they will expect you to do your best and then work up, not miraculously pump out a whole lot of press ups.
                ^This. As well as the striking option. Striking and BJJ are imho, the best options for someone worried about old aching joints. I know we've all got that guy at our BJJ club who's pushing 75. And who wouldn't want to know how to box?

Comment

I appreciate all the input, guys - I decided to bite the bullet, and I'm going to hit the mat and do my damndest to learn Judo, come hell or high water, as they used to say.
                  I am feeling older, and achey, but you're right, if I worry about being in shape first, I'll never do it. I've always wanted to learn judo and I'm gonna go for it.
                  Curiosity for those who know: How much does NOT competing slow you down? I'm in no rush to get to a black belt, I just want to learn the techniques and get into shape (and the randori, of course) but the competition doesn't, at the moment, interest me. I say I'm in no rush to get a black belt, but I would like to learn those techniques (if it works like that, anyway - I'm a total noob when it comes to how stuff like this works) eventually.

Comment

Some schools may relate competition to belt advancement in some manner, just ask when you're school shopping. Personally, I don't much care what color my outfit is, and I'd pick the place that offered the best training. Better skills>higher rank.
                    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
                    DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
                    Originally posted by Devil
                    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
                    Originally posted by Plasma
                    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
                    Originally posted by SoulMechanic
                    Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

Another vote for boxing . . . from a BJJ guy. It's a brutal workout that will take the weight off, and you won't be expected to step into the ring to practice spar without a few months experience first.

If you're determined to take Judo, I suggest an awful lot of ukemi (falling/rolling practice) first. Slamming into the mat weighing 300 lbs is a different experience than at 200 lbs. Your margin for error when falling is a bit smaller than it will be if you get down closer to your ideal weight.
                      Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

3 votes for boxing. It suits your primary goals really well.

Also, if you still have an interest in Aikido, go try it. You could always do that too.

But do boxing!
                        sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                        "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                          Another vote for boxing . . . from a BJJ guy. It's a brutal workout that will take the weight off, and you won't be expected to step into the ring to practice spar without a few months experience first.
                          Add one more for boxing (four so far; more to come). The cardio will benefit you. If you get serious about it, the roadwork will decrease your tonnage and you may enjoy running.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Not sure what happened, here, but I'll reintroduce myself - this is my previous account, which seems to have been dumped in the database error that happened a couple of days ago. Since it didn't list me as 'Banned', I am hoping that my reregistering is okay. I attempted to contact the administration through a link on here, and over facebook, but nothing, so I'm assuming that my problems aren't their problems. ;)

Comment

I'll add one for Judo. I'm a big guy, 315lbs currently, and 27 years old. Falling will hurt, but as a bigger guy most people won't be able to lift you for the really high impact throws. Learn to fall, learn to roll, but most importantly RELAX!

1) If you're tense, it will hurt. If you relax, and fall properly it hurts much, much less.
                              2) Keep going to class. Practice makes perfect.
                              3) Don't be afraid to compete. It's a fantastic experience, at any belt, and any weight.

Enjoy!
                              I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X