Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with the BJJ community?

Hi all,

I have recently transitioned from more traditional striking martial arts to MMA-related arts like BJJ and Muay Thai. Overall I think this was a good decision; the atmosphere is more competitive and training more intense. However I can't help but notice a difference in the type of people who train, particularly in BJJ. While the higher level students and teachers all seem very solid and like cool guys, the white belts tend to be MMA fanboys and creeps who are attracted to BJJ due to their obsession with violence; while I can put up with these guys, it is really ruining my experience training, since I am also a white belt, I am always paired up with them.

In TMAs, I never had this problem; yeah there were typical dorks and asian-o-philes but they never really bothered me, so my dealing with this sort of person in training is new to me. My guess would be that because BJJ has been so popularized by MMA, a more diverse crowd, more intent on it's violent nature, will be attracted to it.

For anyone else who practices BJJ: has this been your experience too? Is this type of person common in all BJJ schools or an isolated issue at my school? Is this a problem in other competition martial arts like Judo as well?

Studying martial arts is having an obsession with violence.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
      Studying martial arts is having an obsession with violence.
      Lol, I disagree. It can range from an interest in self defense, an interest in MA as sport, an interest in fitness, or with TMA as a cultural interest, one could do it for confidence building as well. So no, I don't think one needs to be obsessed with violence, or at least in the way that statement connotes. But I get your point... and sense some tongue and cheek here.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddhist_Budoka View Post
        Hi all,

I have recently transitioned from more traditional striking martial arts to MMA-related arts like BJJ and Muay Thai. Overall I think this was a good decision; the atmosphere is more competitive and training more intense. However I can't help but notice a difference in the type of people who train, particularly in BJJ. While the higher level students and teachers all seem very solid and like cool guys, the white belts tend to be MMA fanboys and creeps who are attracted to BJJ due to their obsession with violence; while I can put up with these guys, it is really ruining my experience training, since I am also a white belt, I am always paired up with them.

In TMAs, I never had this problem; yeah there were typical dorks and asian-o-philes but they never really bothered me, so my dealing with this sort of person in training is new to me. My guess would be that because BJJ has been so popularized by MMA, a more diverse crowd, more intent on it's violent nature, will be attracted to it.

For anyone else who practices BJJ: has this been your experience too? Is this type of person common in all BJJ schools or an isolated issue at my school? Is this a problem in other competition martial arts like Judo as well?
        Yeah, there's a lot of douches in the lower ranks. But either they wise up when they are humbled time after time before even attaining a blue belt, or they quit and embellish their training history to other drunkards at the local swill and spill.

Comment

These "people" exist in TMA you just accepted the behavior.

Originally posted by Tramirezmma View Post
          Yeah, there's a lot of douches in the lower ranks. But either they wise up when they are humbled time after time before even attaining a blue belt, or they quit and embellish their training history to other drunkards at the local swill and spill.
          See above.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
            These "people" exist in TMA you just accepted the behavior.

See above.
            They existed in the sense of the quoted definition: a**holes who think they're the shit and have oversized egos. But in TMAs they were usually dorks or some harmless variant. In my MMA training I am finding myself training with low lives with more serious problems, and find myself awkwardly having to avoid their attempts at socializing after a class. It may seem trifle, but it sort of ruins the experience for me.

Comment

I've certainly seen more "obsessed with violence" folks in Southeast Asian styles than in jiujitsu. Maybe its just because my time in bjj is very short comparatively, or maybe its because one kind of encourages speculation about butchering people with long blades and one does not.

Comment

They existed in the sense of the quoted definition: a**holes who think they're the shit and have oversized egos. But in TMAs they were usually dorks or some harmless variant. In my MMA training I am finding myself training with low lives with more serious problems, and find myself awkwardly having to avoid their attempts at socializing after a class. It may seem trifle, but it sort of ruins the experience for me.
                Ah the, "but they are different douchebags" argument. No, you didn't refute what I said, you added a caveat.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                  Ah the, "but they are different douchebags" argument. No, you didn't refute what I said, you added a caveat.
                  As was my goal. I meant to differentiate, since I prefer the dorky douche bags to the other kind. I was just wondering if this other kind of douche bag is a common problem in all BJJ and how one might deal with it.

Comment

Focus on your training; You are there to train, not to socialize. You will likely always run into these types so long as you continue to train. Try not to be one of them. Keep your ego in check, and focus on your training. Learn from them; i.e. learn to capitalize upon their overconfidence, learn not to act like them, etc.

Comment

As was my goal. I meant to differentiate, since I prefer the dorky douche bags to the other kind. I was just wondering if this other kind of douche bag is a common problem in all BJJ and how one might deal with it.
                      No, that means they are the same low life douchebags, you just felt superior to the TMAs and are scared of the new ones.

As you mentioned "usually" that means you encountered them as well. It is the white belt phenomena that exists in EVERY ART, traditional or not. It is a common problem, but only pretentious people try to make it appear worse in other arts.

Comment

Lol, I disagree. It can range from an interest in self defense, an interest in MA as sport, an interest in fitness, or with TMA as a cultural interest, one could do it for confidence building as well.
                        If, of all the sporting, fitness and cultural activities you could pursue you consistently choose the ones that involve fighting it's because you like fighting.

What's your complaint exactly? They're fans of sportsmen who use the techniques they practise? Dastardly. People engaged in the practise of limb breaking and strangling are into violence? How dare they?

Comment

While my training is very limited to most on this board I have trained at 2 separate Judo Schools and 3 different BJJ schools. I did notice a certain level of douche baggery when the one school went from a really relaxed BJJ school to a Gracie competition team but even then it was hardly a group obsessed with violence. For the most part everyone is pretty damn cool.
                          Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                          –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Focus on your training; You are there to train, not to socialize. You will likely always run into these types so long as you continue to train. Try not to be one of them. Keep your ego in check, and focus on your training. Learn from them; i.e. learn to capitalize upon their overconfidence, learn not to act like them, etc.
                            I like this; good advice. Although, my issue isn't much with their technique as it is with their attempts at socializing with me.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
                              If, of all the sporting, fitness and cultural activities you could pursue you consistently choose the ones that involve fighting it's because you like fighting.

What's your complaint exactly? They're fans of sportsmen who use the techniques they practise? Dastardly. People engaged in the practise of limb breaking and strangling are into violence? How dare they?
                              my complaint was on the social end; that I don't like having to deal with the sketchy types who seem attracted to MMA: It Is Fake is more or less right, I am intimidated by the rough and seedy types that I have to train with - but I am not intimidated on the mat - but by the social aspects, like having to avoid these guys attempts at befriending me. Basically, I am saying that I don't like the "scene" or the "crowd" in MMA and am wondering if it is a constant in all gyms.

I think people are getting confused because they are so focused on attacking me and picking appart my statements. Every time I re-clarify I am really restating the same thing.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X