No announcement yet.

Problem with the BJJ community?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you take a look at my own introductory thread, you'll see that I had a very similar discussion with This is fake, Jnp and others. My own solution was to find a school that offers BJJ classes along with other TMAs classes instead of the usual BJJ/Muay Thai MMA classes. The eclectic mix has some impact on the atmosphere and the prospective students. I went to a more ghetto BJJ school with tacked on MT in a rough neighborhood for confirmation of my theory and the difference was very noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddhist_Budoka View Post
      While I understand your point on a philosophical level, and agree, that doesn't mean that there isn't validity to considering the effectiveness of a martial art in a self defense situation; while I don't train for defense, I still want my art to have some value in this regard. So I guess I would rephrase my earlier question, and strip out the scenario and ask simply: is judo a viable method of self defense?
      if she\he can use it years after.. you tell me

Comment

Here's the real irony...

BJJ has douchebags in the lower belts. These people are quickly weeded out of the ranks due to the fact that in most schools, douchebags don't last very long.

TMA is totally different, while they also have douchebags in the lower ranks...they have a shit-ton of douchebags as senior students and Sifu's. Having trained both TMA and BJJ...I can assure you there are 10 times more douchebags, fanboys and completely unrealistic expectations happening in TMA as there are in BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
          Here's the real irony...

BJJ has douchebags in the lower belts. These people are quickly weeded out of the ranks due to the fact that in most schools, douchebags don't last very long.

TMA is totally different, while they also have douchebags in the lower ranks...they have a shit-ton of douchebags as senior students and Sifu's. Having trained both TMA and BJJ...I can assure you there are 10 times more douchebags, fanboys and completely unrealistic expectations happening in TMA as there are in BJJ.
          ^
          This. As I mentioned in looksback's thread, the douches most likely won't commit to what it takes to get to the upper levels of their respective arts, and the more demanding the art, the less douches you'll find at the top. This is partly due to the fact that a lot of hard work, time, and most importantly, getting your ass handed to you, to get there. You'll oftentimes find the opposite of this in your standard compliant TMA where those at the top are completely self-deluded, and of course in their own world, have t3h d3adly.

Everybody's different. In my experience in both BJJ and MT, I've trained with really great people, and the only ones I consider douchebags are those that don't put in the work and try to half-ass their training. Has nothing to do with how they dress, where they came from, etc. As Southpaw said, non-compliant arts are really interesting in that the douches, much like real douches, will inevitably flush themselves out.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
            Like I said, he likes HIS douchebags.

Comment

This post came to mind to me when I was in class today. Me being a relative noob to Bjj and Gracie Phila I thought to myself "Is there any fan boys or douche bags in here that I've met?" (white up to brown) and the answer was no. A senior ranking purple 3 stripe student and sometimes teacher Art kind of took me under his from the get go and is almost always my training partner. He brought it up to me in a way too after I mentioned to him how impressed I was with how laid back and helpful everyone is. Ive done Japanese martial arts in the past and i was kind of looked at as an outsider. I guess because I didnt share the same humor of making "light saber noises" when I was holding my fucken bokken. He told me that Joe (the owner Joe Guido) doesnt take that shit and will send douche bags and assholes on their way before they become a cancer in the school. I'll have to write a school review because this school deserves nothing but good press. The owner is a retired Philadelphia Firefighter who is old school and received his belts from Helio, Royce, and Caique. I asked him how long does it usually take to attain blue in his school today and he said its about dedication...maybe two years and that he does fold under the pressure of the "new guys" and becoming a rank factory...which must be true because Art has been there for 12 years. Any ways not to get off topic but today at my 12 pm class there was 4 Philadelphia Police officers, a few union workers a firefighter and me. (I run a car dealership down in Philly) Tonight at seven its more of a mix between younger and older but the young guys are nothing but classy, always willing to help me out and work on my technique. BJJ is like any other place in the world. Sometimes theres ass holes and sometimes theres great people. But I found that rare place where there's no ass holes and all great, hard working men and women. Don't be so quick to judge BJJ dude, you could seriously miss out on something great. I'm pissed at myself I waited until I was 27 to get into it. Although, I can truly appreciate it now. Sorry for the rant but I really think you have a misconstrude picture in your head of a really great self defense system and sport. Any one in Philly who is interested in authentic BJJ/GJJ from stand up guys should go to Graciephila dot com.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X