No announcement yet.

Help me teach cosplayers about martial arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just run episodes of Hajime no Ippo in the background and tell them this is about the most realistic anime fighting ever gets. Just stay away from the second season finale, that one gets all kinds of fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by P Marsh View Post
      Just run episodes of Hajime no Ippo in the background and tell them this is about the most realistic anime fighting ever gets. Just stay away from the second season finale, that one gets all kinds of fucked up.
      One-Pound Gospel was also pretty good; for the people who don't know (which is probably everyone), One-Pound Gospel was an obscure boxing manga by Rumiko Takahashi. I was younger when I read it, so my memory might be inaccurate, but the manga seemed much more realistic than most other fighting manga and anime. Notably, the manga devoted a pretty significant amount of time to the crappy experience of trying to make weight before a fight.

Edit: Corrected the name of the manga from, "One-Pound Knockout" to the actual title, "One-Pound Gospel".

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
        You should go over why "legs wide apart, front leg straight and back leg as bent as possible, arms outstretched" isn't a good fighting stance, because like every cosplay pic on DA seems to have that one:

Damn good point I think I have seen this pose quite a bit in anime, any idea of where it actually come from and why they use it at all?
        Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
        –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
          Damn good point I think I have seen this pose quite a bit in anime, any idea of where it actually come from and why they use it at all?
          I have seen it in one of those performances by the Shoalin monks, and in a few wushu style forms. I do believe it is also in hapkido, like a leg sweep but I could be wrong
          Maybe this is what they're going for?
          Last edited by Tameshiwhaty?; 7/12/2012 3:59am, .

Comment

Here's something show them this video and ask them to give you a reason to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
              You should go over why "legs wide apart, front leg straight and back leg as bent as possible, arms outstretched" isn't a good fighting stance, because like every cosplay pic on DA seems to have that one:

Some of those look like really lousy Capoeira negativas (the negativa is a position in Capoeira). Others like like bad stretching exercises. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they're just poorly imitating some sort of technique from kung fu forms or something.

Comment

I think there is a good amount of that in Bagua Zhang too. Around 1:45 in this video you can see what I mean, although it's more of a dodge than a stance...

Comment

Originally posted by Robdogg View Post
                  Some of those look like really lousy Capoeira negativas (the negativa is a position in Capoeira). Others like like bad stretching exercises. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they're just poorly imitating some sort of technique from kung fu forms or something.
                  I do know where the bottom one got it, in the film Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children the character Tiffa, whom she is portraying lands in that pose while she is fighting and is thrown against a wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Tameshiwhaty? View Post
                    I do know where the bottom one got it, in the film Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children the character Tiffa, whom she is portraying lands in that pose while she is fighting and is thrown against a wall.
                    Man, Tifa got shitty after FF7.

Comment

Well could you blame her, she's getting old lol.

Comment

Can you get someone "famous" to help you out? Nothing peaks more interest than Robin williams Choking Will ferrell over on Yu-Gi-oh table #5.

also scratch the powerpoint presentation, major mood killer, use any other presentation method.

That's my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
                          Yeah, things have gotten a lot better. I really feel sorry for my nerd ancestors.
                          You are only tall because you are standing on the shoulders of They Might Be Giants

Comment

All the PowerPoint slides in the world will never get the message across like that first five minutes stuck under mount.

Make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Styygens View Post
                              REALLY!? Tell me more...

And por favor... do it slowly.
                              jIH ghaHta' Daq wIj pa'Hom ghorgh jIH leghta' Daj Daj qab chenmoHta' jIH neH Daq tlhap Daj pa' 'ej vaj

Comment

Originally posted by Antifa View Post
                                You are only tall because you are standing on the shoulders of They Might Be Giants
                                Fun fact: The first concert I ever saw was They Might Be Giants, in Washington DC, when I was 14 years old.
                                That shit was awesome.
                                The fool thinks himself immortal,
                                If he hold back from battle;
                                But old age will grant him no truce,
                                Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X