No announcement yet.

Help me teach cosplayers about martial arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have quite a bit of experience with Anime cons. In particular, promoting a combat sport (a soft one) over there, jugger.

In my opinion, the sort of people that go there react positively when you can get them excited about something. Your presentation sounds little about promoting MA and too much about debunking the bad stuff to me. I would spend more time praising the martial arts you want them to be interested in and let them figure the rest out by themselves.

If I knew jack shit about MA and attended to your presentation, I'd rather come out with the feel that "Wow, look what awesome things I discovered" rather than "Okay, so all these things I thought were cool turned out to be crap".

Comment

I'd avoid discussing ninjutsu entirely, lest you find yourself arguing with vehement Naruto fans.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
        So, for my business, I go to a shit ton of anime conventions. They are, by far, the most profitable venue I've found for my clothing line. They are also super-mega-fucking-fun.
        I've decided I want to start doing panels at cons, and specifically, I want to do panels about martial arts to parse about the glamorous pop culture from the shitty, underwhelming reality. This demographic (nerds), seem particularly prone to falling in with the bad crowds (aikido, ninjutsu, etc.) based on their esoteric and exotic nature. I sure as fuck did before I had it beaten out of me by reality and dissapointment.
        So yeah, TheMightyMcClaw Presents: Oriental Fighting Arts of the Orient: An Introduction to the Horrible World of Martial Arts.
        Noble endeavor. However, your time might be rewarded better by teaching them some basics so their "dueling" in the lobby/food court looks a little more realistic.

Seriously these kids need some Wushu instruction.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
          Well, find them a master that speaks to them in a language they'll understand...

Ser Syrio Forel.

"What do we say to the God of Death?"
          "Not Today."

Comment

For martial strategy I've always been partial to;

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

&

The Book of Five Rings - Musashi Miamoto

The other guys have already chimed in with the good practice advice. A good watermark would be to get them to a point where they can separate fantasy fighting theory from real fighting theory. The basic "sparring with aliveness" already suggested is the best reality check. (bullshido.net 101?) There's nothing wrong with playing ninjer for the fun of it, but that stuff will get you hurt if you try to take it into a fight. I know that you know enough of the real stuff to get them going.

Comment

I'd recommend hitting the sub-topics of self defense vs. dueling. (Fights won't always be fair, be ready to run.)

Comment

I'd consider covering a sub-category of self-defense vs. dueling. (Fights aren't always fair, be ready to run.)

Comment

I did a BJJ demo at a con. It was well recieved. No need to overburden yourself with trying to cover too many topics. Just go over the arts you do, the superiority of athletics, do a technical demo then some sparring. Invite the fattest guy in the audience to try to hold you down if you wanna spice things up.

"The only important elements in any society
                  are the artistic and the criminal,
                  because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
                  can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Comment

You might consider mentioning that people should be encouraged to do what they want to, what they enjoy doing, and what they find fun. If you want to practice an art that many would call bs, or ineffective, or whatever else they could call it, because you love that art and enjoy it, and derive personal satisfaction from practicing that art, then more power to you. Just do it without the delusion of invulnerability or even (as seems to often, sadly, be the case) adequate real world fight applications.

Comment

You should go over why "legs wide apart, front leg straight and back leg as bent as possible, arms outstretched" isn't a good fighting stance, because like every cosplay pic on DA seems to have that one:

Comment

I think you should make up a new type of BJJ for this con. Forget "gi" and "no-gi," and become the father of "scale-mailed" BJJ. You can then argue lineage with the folks who do Ringen.

Comment

Cosplay?

Cosplay?

Boy! In my day....

We had to dress up as klingons for rough sex with fat women!

Thats right! uphill! Both ways! In the snow....
                          --------------------------------------------------

Ummmm.... yeah... gotta go now

Comment

Originally posted by Antifa View Post
                            Cosplay?

Cosplay?

Boy! In my day....

REALLY!? Tell me more...

And por favor... do it slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Antifa View Post
                              Cosplay?

Cosplay?

Boy! In my day....

Yeah, things have gotten a lot better. I really feel sorry for my nerd ancestors.
                              The fool thinks himself immortal,
                              If he hold back from battle;
                              But old age will grant him no truce,
                              Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Don't forget to have lots of Venn Diagrams.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X