X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eloneamigo
    replied
    Originally posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Aloha. I stopped by BJ's school in Hilo, nice place and friendly teachers/staff. Nice to have more da kine around all these foking ha'oles on Bullshido (well... actually I'm a foking local ha'ole, bahddah you?).

I envy you for the opportunities in Honolulu - there's a hundred good schools and thousands of people to work out with and make friends with in the ma world there. Hawaii rocks for martial arts. If you get a chance drop by Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute at the Royal School on Punchbowl and give one slap in face to Prof Clarence Emperado for me, I owe him one.

Seriously, a good school to cross train, if you have the time is in Kalihi
    8th Degree Assistant Professor Eric S. Guiang
    Kalakaua Recreation Center
    720 McNeil Street
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Phone: (808) 664-5721 Wednesday & Friday: Adult: 6:15 p.m.–7:30 p.m.

He's a super competent modest calm quiet friendly pidgin talking guy and his Kalihi branch is very good. I worked out under him in Kailua, and as he put it, "In Kalihi we take it to another level." So I ended up there and frankly sometimes had to bow out gassed. He usually starts class with shrimping or partnered full/guard reversals with partners. I wouldn't ever mention other training, though, as they are us or the highway kind of guys. But as long as you aren't as stupid as patfromlogan and talk about cross training in other Honolulu schools they won't give a shit. Ah I miss that school, Prof as he back hands a brown belts crotch making a loud 'crack,' "I want to hear it every time!" Head gear, mouth guard, groin etc mandatory - as I remember it was $50 a month and you get a gi and membership and such 1st month for $25.

I was talking to (MMA Champ) Egan Inoue at his Manoa school (another good place, shit they are everywhere in Honolulu!) and when he found out where I was working out he said, oh man, those guys are old school! And they are tradition bound, but it's Hawaiian brotherhood in kempo tradition.

Anyhow, welcome to Bullshido and if BJ get creamed this time, tell him retire for goodness sakes, you got nothing to prove brah, you the man!
    Thanks for the spot infos, originally I am from puerto rico/florida, but I guess I am a local haole now since I know I am never living anywhere other than Islands, or maybe intermittently in Thailand to train. But I am not big on huge city life like in So-cal, and with the ocean/fishing/waves and hiking Hawaii is perfect for me.

I was on the BI too last year for 4 months or so out in Pahoa and Volcano, but when I moved to volcano my car took a dive for 2 months since i had to wait for parts from the mainland.

So I got nervous getting stuck in Hilo town without a ride, that's actually what prompted me to move back to Oahu. But while I was there I hiked volcano park a lot cutting weight so it was fine, and a decent altitude at 3500 feet.

When I was over at UH finishing my degree though, I went to Inoye's place but was too poor to afford equipment and class, being a broke student, but you are right for sure, on Oahu MMA and BJJ are everywhere, I started getting back in the groove when I start training over at Palolo boxing gym which I couldn't beat as it only cost 20.00 a month with the same boxing coach that also trains at UFC now. There is even a new place in Kahaluu windward side called Jungle Gym that just recently opened up, it seems like everyone now trains in Hawaii now!

Hopefully people start staying off da ice and start hitting the gym!
    Last edited by eloneamigo; 7/10/2012 3:28pm, .

Leave a comment:

• patfromlogan
    replied
    Aloha. I stopped by BJ's school in Hilo, nice place and friendly teachers/staff. Nice to have more da kine around all these foking ha'oles on Bullshido (well... actually I'm a foking local ha'ole, bahddah you?).

I envy you for the opportunities in Honolulu - there's a hundred good schools and thousands of people to work out with and make friends with in the ma world there. Hawaii rocks for martial arts. If you get a chance drop by Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute at the Royal School on Punchbowl and give one slap in face to Prof Clarence Emperado for me, I owe him one.

Seriously, a good school to cross train, if you have the time is in Kalihi
    8th Degree Assistant Professor Eric S. Guiang
    Kalakaua Recreation Center
    720 McNeil Street
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Phone: (808) 664-5721 Wednesday & Friday: Adult: 6:15 p.m.–7:30 p.m.

He's a super competent modest calm quiet friendly pidgin talking guy and his Kalihi branch is very good. I worked out under him in Kailua, and as he put it, "In Kalihi we take it to another level." So I ended up there and frankly sometimes had to bow out gassed. He usually starts class with shrimping or partnered full/guard reversals with partners. I wouldn't ever mention other training, though, as they are us or the highway kind of guys. But as long as you aren't as stupid as patfromlogan and talk about cross training in other Honolulu schools they won't give a shit. Ah I miss that school, Prof as he back hands a brown belts crotch making a loud 'crack,' "I want to hear it every time!" Head gear, mouth guard, groin etc mandatory - as I remember it was $50 a month and you get a gi and membership and such 1st month for $25.

I was talking to (MMA Champ) Egan Inoue at his Manoa school (another good place, shit they are everywhere in Honolulu!) and when he found out where I was working out he said, oh man, those guys are old school! And they are tradition bound, but it's Hawaiian brotherhood in kempo tradition.

Anyhow, welcome to Bullshido and if BJ get creamed this time, tell him retire for goodness sakes, you got nothing to prove brah, you the man!

Leave a comment:

• eloneamigo
    replied
    Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Looks like a nice facility, sounds reasonably priced from what i recall as well.
    Perhaps a review?

It's literally my favorite gym I have ever been to, the prices have 2 categories, regular (44.00 a month) & ultimate (129.00 a month). Regular includes only the weightroom and cardio area, and ultimate includes everything, wrestling, bjj, boxing, muay thai, mma, capoiera, no gi, then they also have youth classes of the same. You have an online log in to review class schedule availability, and then you pick your schedule accordingly, so it's super easy.

There is a kid's gym in case you have to find something for little one's to do so you can focus on training.

All in all it's a great facility where instructors have experience even Bj's BJJ coach Leandro Nyza teaches level 1 bjj which is something I would like to start going to. But all in all, it's nice to finally have a place where you can literally train everything under one roof. If you have any questions let me know, I would be more than happy to elaborate.

Aloha.

Leave a comment:

• ChenPengFi
    replied
    Originally posted by eloneamigo View Post
    BJ Penn's New signature UFC gym that just recently opened in Honolulu. My instructor is Arthur Wong who also runs Muay Thai at M-1, they also practice at Palolo Community Center at the boxing gym side on Saturdays.

Aloha.

Looks like a nice facility, sounds reasonably priced from what i recall as well.
    Perhaps a review?

Leave a comment:

• eloneamigo
    replied
    Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    E komo mai.
    Where do you train Muay Thai?
    BJ Penn's New signature UFC gym that just recently opened in Honolulu. My instructor is Arthur Wong who also runs Muay Thai at M-1, they also practice at Palolo Community Center at the boxing gym side on Saturdays.

Aloha.

Leave a comment:

• Like Water
    replied
    Aloha my friend, welcome to the family.

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Leave a comment:

• ChenPengFi
    replied
    E komo mai.
    Where do you train Muay Thai?

Leave a comment:

• eloneamigo
    replied
    Originally posted by lordbd View Post
    Aloha and welcome! I too was a TKD competition person who took a long time off and came back to discover muay Thai. Enjoy your time here.

Thanks LBD, I do appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• lordbd
    replied
    Aloha and welcome! I too was a TKD competition person who took a long time off and came back to discover muay Thai. Enjoy your time here.

Leave a comment:

• eloneamigo
    started a topic Aloha

Aloha

Aloha from Oahu, had some previous experience with tkd/karate, I don't really count my AAU point competition exactly as real world experience, but, it was an introduction.

After a 14 year hiatus from martial arts, I began boxing for fun which after about 1 year propelled me towards Muay Thai, needless to say I feel like I have found my true home.

I hope to use this site to learn more, and do bullshido checks to always make sure i CYA. Anyway thanks ladies and gents, Aloha from Hawaii!

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X