Enough time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough time?

After my first thread asking about a specific style I have pretty much settled on Judo, Kyokushin-Budokai (KBK) and BJJ cross training because the classes for each fit my schedule very well. The classes are 1.5 hours each and spread over six days. To be clear about 3 hours each spread over six sessions. The KBK place covers the core of KBK (Kyokushin karate plus Judo throws and ne waza) as well as aspects of freestyle wrestling and submission grappling. Based on this information I have 2 questions.

1) Is this enough time per art?

2) Do you think they are likely to compliment each other in terms of improving similar skill sets?

Thanks.

That KBK curriculum sounds like it covers everything on its own. Three hours per week is probably the minimum you need to do if you want to consistently improve (so they say).

Comment

In terms of improving similar skill sets? A bit, it sounds like the Kyokushin covers a bit of the same territory as Judo. (Good find, there) And Judo and BJJ always compliment eachother well, in my opinion.

But I think they compliment eachother more in that they all train different areas of your game. Less crossover can be better, because then you don't have two different styles teaching two different approaches tot he same positions/moves.

Sounds like a busy week, but I've also heard 3 hours per art a week is enough to at the very least retain information and keep skills steady, or enough to very slowly improve if you're a sponge in the dojo.

Comment

I'm mostly concerned about skill progression. I gave a lot of thought to why I want to study martial arts and I want to do it as a sport, to compete in. If there are self defense benefits then great but I never get into fights. I go to class and come home. I don't drink or socialize in crowded areas so the chances of getting into a fight are really low. The martial art I really want to do most is Judo and that got me interested in grappling in general. Being around here got me interested in Kyokushin and since Kyokushin-Budokai includes such a broad range of grappling it seemed like a nice addition with the striking for variety. Oh and I want to do BJJ because it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

So I suppose what I was asking without having the guts to ask what might be a stupid question was; I can't get more than 2 Judo classes a week, do you think that combining it with other grappling arts Could help me develop my Judo skills?

I did want to know if people thought they would compliment each other too so if any one else has opinions on that they would be appreciated. Thanks for the replies I've already gotten.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X