Looking for a style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a style

Hey Bullshido, I've been lurking for a while while looking for a style of martial art to take. I have been checking out several styles such as Krav Maga, Ninjutsu (although this doesn't seem to be the most popular choice), among others. I am looking for a style that is primarily for self defense and also makes for a good workout. However I would rather not have a style that is "pretty" (if you get my drift), I would rather have a style that is meant to go in there, kick some ass, and gtfo.

Also I am looking for a gym/dojo near the area of Nazareth, Pa (near Bethlehem, Easton, and Allentown). I much rather be in a school that has full contact sparring so I can actually learn the art I am trying to learn. So if you guys have any recommendations for a school, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Shaz
    Last edited by ShazamVG; 7/07/2012 12:12am, .

Don't know your area, but I recommend muay thai.

Comment

Thank you, I will look into muay thai.

If anyone has any other styles to recommend, please tell me.

Much appreciated, Shazam

Comment

I'd second Muay Thai. Also boxing and judo.

Comment

Thanks guys. I looked around and I found only a few schools for Muay Thai, although the distance is a bit further than expected. Same with boxing and judo. I was wondering if anyone that has experience in MMA could tell me how effective it would actually be for self defense. I've heard both positives and negatives in it and I would like to know if that is something that could fit my criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by ShazamVG View Post
            Thanks guys. I looked around and I found only a few schools for Muay Thai, although the distance is a bit further than expected. Same with boxing and judo. I was wondering if anyone that has experience in MMA could tell me how effective it would actually be for self defense. I've heard both positives and negatives in it and I would like to know if that is something that could fit my criteria.
            Well, in a good MMA gym, you're very likely to learn at least the fighting aspect of weaponless self-defense.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

Originally posted by Azatdawn View Post
              Well, in a good MMA gym, you're very likely to learn at least the fighting aspect of weaponless self-defense.
              ^^^^^I second this.^^^^^

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

When I was doing BJJ I gained a new level of confidence i've never had in other martial arts. Rolling every class against a resisting opponent really lets you know where you are in your training. If it wasn't for my knee injury and surgery i'd still be doing it, hopefully I can get back into it some day.

With your thoughts about krav and ninjitsu you might consider training FMA. FMA offers a practical approach to weapons training in most styles, and addresses some of the arguments posted by the RBSDers. FMA can cover all areas of training such as stick, blade, empty hand striking, and grappling if you're lucky. As for sparring and live training; FMA groups differ widely. Check out some places near you and find out what their focus is.

Comment

There's positives and negatives to all styles. Boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, BJJ, legitimate Kyokushin, and MMA will have the easiest measurable positives since they all do live, full contact application of their moves, and in my opinion give you the best workout. They're worth traveling a bit for.

Unlike ninjutsu, which will likely have 0 contact sparring. I've heard the same about Krav Maga, but I can't say anything for sure about that.

Comment

Shazam,

Age? Best free martial art on planet: HS wrestling. Just wanted to get that out year if you are young enough. Also good to get that out there for old dudes that might need to advise kids.

Comment

Originally posted by mike321 View Post
                      Shazam,

Age? Best free martial art on planet: HS wrestling. Just wanted to get that out year if you are young enough. Also good to get that out there for old dudes that might need to advise kids.
                      Hey, thanks for the advice. I am turning 17 next week and I will be a senior this year. I am not positive about doing wrestling considering I have never done it before in my life. Do you think it would be to late to get into high school wrestling?

Comment

As a sport you will have a real hard time making a splash, and have to swallow your pride to be at the same level as freshmen. As a martial artist, the experience will be extremely worthwhile. The standup grappling, the movement on the floor are very useful. Also, the ability to stuff a takedown, is critical for striking arts.

You should be able to get good consistent competition at the junior varsity level.

Good luck.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the advice. I am turning 17 next week and I will be a senior this year. I am not positive about doing wrestling considering I have never done it before in my life. Do you think it would be to late to get into high school wrestling?
                          Silly question. You're like the eighteeen year olds asking if it's "too late to get into MMA?" when I know people that started at 40+.

So is it too late to get into high school wrestling? Obviously not if you're still in high school. It's that simple. Go. Swallow your pride and check your ego at the door. Be prepared to be the beginner and get tossed around by Freshmen who have been doing this for 10 years already. Learn from that.

Comment

Is hockey fighting considered a style?

Comment

You won't get a chance to compete, but wrestling is one of the best foundations for building a better martial arsenal. Add to that list, boxing, Judo, Sambo and the hard karate styles.

If you look at it as a learning experience, it will be enjoyable. If you compare yourself to guys who've been wrestling for years, if not decades, it won't be.
                              Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X