CLANG: Neal Stephenson's swordfighting video game is down to the wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLANG: Neal Stephenson's swordfighting video game is down to the wire

Famed sci-fi author Neal Stephenson's new venture is a revolutionary swordfighting video game called CLANG. You can read about it and watch the hilarious pitch video here - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang .

CLANG is the prototype of a MASE (Martial Arts System Embodiment) protocol that will be a huge leap forward in truly accurate and realistic hand to hand combat in video games. It's designed to be endlessly modded; the first game will feature historically accurate Italian longsword combat, but future iterations could include kendo, gladiators, FMA, lightsabers, etc., etc.

The project team needs to raise $500,000 via their Kickstarter campaign and they're down to the wire; after huge exposure (Wired, Forbes, BBC, etc.) and a massive funding bullrush early on, they now have four days left to raise the remaining $90,000. Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing system; if they hit the $500,000 target, the game will be made, but if they miss it by even a small amount, no funding happens.

Please consider helping to fund it; note that a $25.00 pledge also buys you a download of the finished game.
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Money well spent. Thanks for the update sir.

Comment

ERMAGAD ERMAGAD ERMAGAD
      This looks amazing.
      The fool thinks himself immortal,
      If he hold back from battle;
      But old age will grant him no truce,
      Even if spears spare him.

Comment

90k short and only 4 days to go...
        go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Comment

I love Stephenson but Reamde was a long and over complicated book.

I know this has nothing to do with this topic but I wanted to say that

Comment

Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
            90k short and only 4 days to go...
            If they can sustain the current level of funding they'll *just* make the target; every little bit helps.
            Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Comment

Threw in my pledge. I don't even know if this is something I'll want to play, but I know it's something I want to get made.

Comment

So apparently Aaron Fields (my coach, and Seattle's main Sambo guy) is friends with Neil Stephenson, and was a consultant on the Mongoliad.
                This is even more reason to support Neil's project.
                The fool thinks himself immortal,
                If he hold back from battle;
                But old age will grant him no truce,
                Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Neal S. posts a final promo. video from the CombatCon event in Las Vegas, with "help" from the fight guys from Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Thor.

With only one day to go, the campaign has hit the $500,000 target; thanks to all who pitched in. Now, roll on the game!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
                    So apparently Aaron Fields (my coach, and Seattle's main Sambo guy) is friends with Neil Stephenson, and was a consultant on the Mongoliad.
                    This is even more reason to support Neil's project.
                    Aaron is pretty neat fellow. Has he got you doing the Garuda Bird dance yet?

Comment

Here's the Alpha test version of CLANG:

Even at this early stage, it's the most realistic swordfighting I've ever seen in a video game. N.B. that the game system is designed to be modded and adapted to different weapons and fighting styles in future iterations.

Comment

It's funny, Nintendo Wii Sports has a goofy Mii sword dueling game similar to CLANG. Obviously the Wii version is child's play but the basic movements are the same.

Duel simulation is a neat concept alone, but combined with things like RPG or historical elements it will be interesting. Hack and slash is way more entertaining when you're not just hitting buttons.
                        '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Wow, the mapping looks cool, the most annoying thing would be to miss the precision. I've always wanted something like this!
                          Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Comment

I hope they have messerfetchen. . .

Comment

Do you suppose this will be educational for the player about how historical fencing "works"? Obviously not as training but to teach the gamer/layman about swordsmanship?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X