First post and advice request on Boston area schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post and advice request on Boston area schools

As an introduction, I've had short and largely irrelevant experiences with a few martial arts: greco-roman wrestling for a year in high school, Wushu for a few months after high school, and TKD for a few months a few years after that (I'm closing in on 30 now).
    I recently started taking Krav Maga with a friend who is opening a school, and I think the aliveness there would be enough to satisfy anyone willing to accept a KM school at all: we started doing full contact sparring with gloves, headgear and mouth guard almost immediately, and everything is practiced with resistance.

I want to take something more focused to help improve my striking and get at least some groundwork, I did really enjoy wrestling in high school, but I've never done freestyle or BJJ.
    So, basically, I work really close to Redline Fight Sports in Cambridge which I know is well-regarded on this site, and the variety of classes is appealing. I live reasonably close to it as well, obviously.
    I also live very, very close to Boston Muay Thai Academy which doesn't seem to get mentioned on this site, but has a good reputation and teaches pretty traditional MT which is kind of appealing to me. Redline's kickboxing is primarily Sanda which I know nothing about.

Anyone who trains at, or is familiar with either school want to give me a push in either direction? I'm going to check out both schools eventually, but I'm nursing a sprained ankle which probably makes checking out kickboxing classes unwise.

Sorry I can't offer any help with the information, but Welcome to Bullshido.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

I train at Redline, we have a couple of former members here, and an instructor. The facilities and instruction are quite good (the sanda program is run by an accomplished former pro, the BJJ is taught by a brown or a black, unless a purple needs to substitute), and the school has a pretty successful amateur fight program. I don't do the boxing, chun, MMA or wrestling, but I encounter guys cross-training, they seem to b getting good instruction as well. If it's geographically convenient, you can't go wrong.

Boston Muay Thai does indeed have a good reputation, but I haven't been there, and can't speak to it.
      "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
      DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
      Originally posted by Devil
      Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
      Originally posted by Plasma
      At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
      Originally posted by SoulMechanic
      Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

If you're looking for motherfuckers with some edge, you can also check out Sityodtong Muay Thai up by Sullivan Square. They have a solid record of producing excellent pro fighters and all round bad motherfuckers.
        Originally posted by Goju - joe
        being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

I'm familiar with Sityodtong, but they're further away in an area that sucks to park at, and is more expensive, similar issues with Wai Kru. Thankfully there's enough good places in this area I can afford to be picky like that.

Comment

And yeah, I went to Redline today on break, peeked inside and chatted with one of the guys on the Sanda team (I think) who was at the desk. Seems like a cool place, I didn't even realize they had wrestling, boxing, WC and all of those other classes. The pass packages thing you can get in lieu of memberships is perfect for what I'm trying to do right now too, I think Redline has me sold.

Comment

Congrats. I'd have mentioned Sityodtong and Wai Kru, but it sounded like geography was a dealbreaker.

Wai Kru has their own parking though, right?

DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
              Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
              At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Comment

I dunno, I haven't actually been, I've just heard/read people complaining about the parking. Maybe it's a small lot (would make sense for the area its in) and it gets full during crowded times or whatever. I know the area its in is a nightmare to find street parking in, certainly.

Comment

It's not a big lot at all, I've driven by. Maybe eight cars. I don't think I've seen it full though. Odd.

Comment

If you're close to Redline, that's your place. One of the best, if not the best school in the Boston metro for what they teach.

Welcome to Bullshido, also. Good to have you here, and it will be great to have you in the Redline family.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks!
                      I'm still gonna give BMTA a shot, they're so close to my house and one of my buddies is going there currently and loves it so far.
                      For the Redline people here...how would you suggest I start? I was gonna go tonight, I figured I'd start off learning some Sanda before I mess with the other classes, but this class schedule looks like a game of tetris.Today says Kickboxing Cond. Lv1 followed by Techniques + Conditioning Lv 1+2, would that be appropriate for a total newb to go to? My conditioning is probably better than most first timers, but 2:30 of "conditioning" sounds like a lot for the first time, and I don't want to be some loser holding back an intermediate class.

Comment

Depends on your fitness level. I'm old, and hadn't done anything for years when I started. My first Lvl1 class ended with me on the mat, in a literal puddle of sweat, shaking feebly for a couple minutes before I could get up. Seen it happen to others since. You don't have to preregister for classes, just show up for the ones you're interested in and qualify for. If you're gassed after one class, call it a night.

Comment

Yeah, took the lvl 1+2 conditioning and technique class and just barely made it out alive. My bad ankle was bitching about the roundhouses so I had to pull them which sucked. Got seriously gassed a few times to the point I was struggling to keep holding the pads for my partner, but I didn't have to beg out of anything.
                          I am gonna have to hit a basics class though, since the class was all drills for basic punches and kicks, so I'm still not really sure what Sanda is!

Comment

So, after checking out Boston Muay Thai I've decided on them for a few reasons.
                            Primarily because its like the gym Rocky goes to in Rocky III when he needs to rediscover the true meaning of boxing, whereas Redline is like the fancy one he trains in at the beginning of the movie.

Aaanyway I have 8 or 9 classes to take at Redline, and I'm gonna switch over to BMTA at the end of the month. Anyone familiar enough with Sanda and MT to say how interchangeable the beginner instruction is? I've just done generic boxing/conditioning drills at both places so far, and I could use up my classes at Redline on those. But RL has some mechanics classes which are supposed to be excellent that I'd like to take, but not if it'd be teaching me stuff MT would ask me to discard in a few weeks.

Comment

Redline has MT, just stick to that and the conditioning classes. I don't think the mechanics are worlds apart, I can't see doing yourself harm in 8 classes anyway. You can't go wrong with BTMA, congrats. I like the scenery in Redline myself...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X