Hello bullshido nation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello bullshido nation.

I always want to think about martial arts and have others around me that do as well, since that isn't happening daily I decided to join here. I'm not big on talking e-s**t, but figured I'd risk reading it for the sake of knowledge. Ive lived in Japan for two and a half years now and trained in Daido juku under Sensei Yuji Igarashi. He's a great guy with a couple of small neighborhood dojos. Sometimes the language barrier between my classmates and I make it tough, but all in all we all love training there.

Nice to be a part of bullshido.

Welcome! What brought you to Japan? Could you explain your art for me, a fellow noob?

Comment

I'm active duty in the USAF. Got stationed in Japan in 2010 from my former base in the bay area, California. Daido Juku is a relatively young martial art, started in the 80s by a kyokushin expert. It's a mixture of kyokushin, judo, jiu jitsu with elements of sambo, boxing and muay thai. Basically it's just MMA with gi's and a helmet to allow it to be sanctioned as a budo sport in Japan.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

1) thanks for your service. 2) your art sounds really cool. What is training like? 3) I'm in the process of applying for the USAF, maybe Ill see you out there in a couple years.

Comment

Thanks a lot Sarge, what exactly is Count Dante Fu?

Lord, I'll be PCS'd in Feb. (relocated)

As for training, we start with traditional karate style warm ups (30 of all strikes). Sometimes it involves moving and striking, combinations. Then we pad up the younglings and put on our shin guards and do 1 on 1 striking with whichever punch kick combinations our Sensei designates. Focusing on defense and movement sometimes and vice versa. Then we do some sparring 60% up to 100% at times. Usually starts with stuff like jab only contact, all kicks, then moves into full contact with clinching. After that we concentrate on jiu jitsu heavily. Instruction/technique to actual sparring. That's a typical
            Last edited by DaidoJukuJoe; 6/23/2012 9:10pm, .

Comment

Count Dante was a ridiculous 70s martial arts instructor who advertised in comic books

Comment

Originally posted by DaidoJukuJoe View Post
                Thanks a lot Sarge, what exactly is Count Dante Fu?
                I found Bullshido while searching for information on the embellished martial arts of Ashida Kim and Frank Dux. Every now and then, someone brings up John Keehan (aka Count Dante). Although Count Dante had some far fetched crap in his resume, he was at least a real martial artist. The Count Dante Fu is some wacky reference I used to make when referring to his book The World's Deadliest Fighting Secrets.

Originally posted by lordbd View Post
                Count Dante was a ridiculous 70s martial arts instructor who advertised in comic books
                That pretty much sums it up.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X