Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi - first post

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hi - first post

    Hi everyone.

    I've been lurking a bit and reading up on various things on the site. I've found it generally very helpful in thinking about how to approach the style I'm taking right now.

    Also, WTF is up with the bull saying, "quit pointing at the moon and register"? what does that even mean?

    Cheers!

    #2
    Welcome DivisionByZero!

    Regarding the bull, it means he's done his job. :)

    Comment


      #3
      I'm a fellow ex-lurker. Look forward to reading your posts. What is Ngo Cho Kun?

      Comment


        #4
        It is a Southern Shaolin style Chinese martial art. It also goes by wuzuchuan or 5 ancestors fist. I could go on but I don't know how much detail you want...

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by serenasmith View Post
          Hi I have a really dumb question? What's a Varrot?
          Reputation points, write something good, someone might agree and give you a good varrot. Say something stupid and you'll get a poison varrot. Don't bitch about someone giving you a poison varrot or you'll earn yourself a ban.

          Originally posted by DivisionByZero View Post
          Also, WTF is up with the bull saying, "quit pointing at the moon and register"? what does that even mean?

          Cheers!
          I'm going to assume you are asking a legit question there, and thus I am going to assume you are very, very extremely young and new to martial arts, as the "pointing to the moon" is so ingrained in martial arts culture as to be a meme before memes were memes. The feast that is Enter The Dragon, a staple of any serious martial artist's cinematic diet, was around before I, but it exemplified an era of the silverscreen we probably will never experience again. My assumption that you are born in the late nineties means you probably grew up with action heroes of a different kind, bolstered by CGU and fancy camera work. You might even consider Enter The Dragon "lame" by today's action movie standards, but as a classic, it is not one to be missed.

          Your first assignment as a bullshido member is to watch Bruce Lee in his masterpiece, then never talk about it or your revelations about it on bullshido.
          GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
          Originally posted by Devil
          I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
          Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
          I <3 Battlefields...

          Comment


            #6
            Excellent reply, battlefields. You missed a possibility: that my cinematic history simply didn't include that Bruce Lee film or that I had forgotten the relevant scenes. In fact, I have seen Enter the Dragon, I just don't remember where this line comes from. I was also born in the late 70s, thanks. I do have to admit to not seeing many Hong Kong action films, but I recently took in 36th Chamber of Shaolin and found it quite enjoyable. I despise CGI fights and heavy editing, but thanks for playing.

            I, apparently, will have to rent Enter the Dragon again, though.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by DivisionByZero View Post
              Excellent reply, battlefields. You missed a possibility: that my cinematic history simply didn't include that Bruce Lee film or that I had forgotten the relevant scenes. In fact, I have seen Enter the Dragon, I just don't remember where this line comes from. I was also born in the late 70s, thanks. I do have to admit to not seeing many Hong Kong action films, but I recently took in 36th Chamber of Shaolin and found it quite enjoyable. I despise CGI fights and heavy editing, but thanks for playing.

              I, apparently, will have to rent Enter the Dragon again, though.
              No, you missed the possibility that I wasn't referring to age, but maturity. Dammit, newbietown [Troll Sequence De-Activated]. Disregard any offense you took.

              Okay, so you don't remember the scene, cool. That may actually be a bonus on this site, as it could mean you may be a bit more open minded than those who grew up consuming hour upon hour of Kung Fu cinema, hoping against hope that one day they'll meet a gardener/ maintenance man/ Pai Lei who has teh real deadlee and will teach it to them for free in return for helping with his bonsai business/ CIA operation/ taking out the local karate competition.
              GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
              Originally posted by Devil
              I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
              Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
              I <3 Battlefields...

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by battlefields View Post
                No, you missed the possibility that I wasn't referring to age, but maturity. Dammit, newbietown [Troll Sequence De-Activated]. Disregard any offense you took.
                Heh - none taken.

                Originally posted by battlefields View Post
                Okay, so you don't remember the scene, cool. That may actually be a bonus on this site, as it could mean you may be a bit more open minded than those who grew up consuming hour upon hour of Kung Fu cinema, hoping against hope that one day they'll meet a gardener/ maintenance man/ Pai Lei who has teh real deadlee and will teach it to them for free in return for helping with his bonsai business/ CIA operation/ taking out the local karate competition.
                I thought the gardener came by 2 weeks after I registered here... Are you suggesting registering on Bullshido won't instantly raise my deadliness factor to a 6?!

                (Okay, this might actually be a fun forum...)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by DivisionByZero View Post
                  Heh - none taken.



                  I thought the gardener came by 2 weeks after I registered here... Are you suggesting registering on Bullshido won't instantly raise my deadliness factor to a 6?!

                  (Okay, this might actually be a fun forum...)
                  Well, the gardener does come by but he is some sort of sadist porno ninja, so watch out.

                  Just be careful with what you say out "in the wild", we require proof of your claims and are not shy to tell people they are idiots if they are and sometimes if they are not, but are acting like they are.
                  GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                  Originally posted by Devil
                  I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                  Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                  I <3 Battlefields...

                  Comment

                  Collapse

                  Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                  Working...
                  X