Martial Arts and Meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martial Arts and Meditation

We all know that sports involve a mental game. As a psychologist I often use meditation or meditation-like practices (e.g. hypnosis; guided imagery) to help Ppl improve their mental health and even physical health. As a noob I'm curious if and how mental disciples are used by the fighters on the forums here.

Originally posted by lordbd View Post
    We all know that sports involve a mental game. As a psychologist I often use meditation or meditation-like practices (e.g. hypnosis; guided imagery) to help Ppl improve their mental health and even physical health. As a noob I'm curious if and how mental disciples are used by the fighters on the forums here.
    I use constant continuous visualization. I imagine kicking people in the face who are sitting down when I walk by them. I imagine fighting and attacking people all the time while I am going through my day. That is mainly because I am insane, however, not because I am training myself mentally.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Comment

I fail to see the point here. Once when I was a noob I would imagine that if I would meditate like some grandmaster from some foreign land I would become a force to be feared. Time and experience has taught me otherwise, that actually training properly would work just fine.

On a serious note a positive mindset should be something close to "just enough confidence to feel good about what your doing and just enough fear to keep you safe" If you have to meditate to get there so be it.

Comment

Where did he touch you? Can you show me on the doll?

Comment

Originally posted by blue-dragon View Post
          I fail to see the point here. Once when I was a noob I would imagine that if I would meditate like some grandmaster from some foreign land I would become a force to be feared. Time and experience has taught me otherwise, that actually training properly would work just fine.

On a serious note a positive mindset should be something close to "just enough confidence to feel good about what your doing and just enough fear to keep you safe" If you have to meditate to get there so be it.
          I was thinking more in terms of improving focus and helping to get into that flow state that people talk about.

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPv544LkL8

There is a documentary called "In a single blow" with a Kendo dude named Eiga. Man, that is one of the most inspirational, most philosophical videos I have ever seen.

That documentary showed me that the mind plays an important role more than any BJJ/Judo Video could ever show me. Somehow its always the Japanese who "Think" as well as fight.

Comment

Originally posted by crappler View Post
              I use constant continuous visualization. I imagine kicking people in the face who are sitting down when I walk by them. I imagine fighting and attacking people all the time while I am going through my day. That is mainly because I am insane, however, not because I am training myself mentally.
              You too huh?
              I'm standing in line at the bank thinking to myself... I throw an elbow to that guys fac, the kick that girl in the side of the knee and follow it up with a hair grab and downward punch to the face.

Or, I wonder how fast the 60 year old lady in front of me would go out if I just decided to RNC her.

Comment

This was discussed in the "Zen in MMA Thread".

The purpose of meditation is to relax your mind and body, if your mind and body are in a relaxed state then you tend to act in the moment rather than over thinking.

Comment

I think there is some good evidence out there that meditation practices do more than just relax you. Mindfulness practice might help improve ones ability to focus on some stimuli and ignore others. How this might apply to combat sports hasn't really been studied. A pretty good paper came out in '08 in the journal of clinical sport psych called 'Buddhas extra scoop.' Is my nerdness showing? Anyway my opinion is ki-fire-balls no. Improved attentional control yes.

Comment

Originally posted by shotfghter View Post
                    There is a documentary called "In a single blow"...that is one of the most inspirational, most philosophical videos I have ever seen.
                    That should answer asscowboy's question from post # 4.

Comment

I think there is some good evidence out there that meditation practices do more than just relax you. Mindfulness practice might help improve ones ability to focus on some stimuli and ignore others. How this might apply to combat sports hasn't really been studied. A pretty good paper came out in '08 in the journal of clinical sport psych called 'Buddhas extra scoop.' Is my nerdness showing? Anyway my opinion is ki-fire-balls no. Improved attentional control yes.
                      Have you considered that people might use martial arts as a form of meditation? BJJ and judo both force me into mindfulness, and thereby alleviate anxiety and stress from my day.

There was a thread recently where something like this was discussed, I'll see if I can find it. There were a lot of closet buddhists too.
                      JnP's a sandal-wearing goldfish-tender. Check with him.
                      Originally posted by Judoka_UK
                      Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Comment

I do feel like physical training helps me focus and stay in the moment. That's a really good point.

Comment

I'd actually consider fighting and meditation two separate mental exercises.

When sparring in sanda just keeping my cool and trying to stay alive/ attack, it's just mentally intense and very satisfying. Also, mental vs physical is a bit of a false dichotomy here, they're so intertwined. Basically it's dealing with stress physically and mentally.

Meditation, much more introverted to me, like running or walking in a forest.
                          I don't really see how meditating would help when fighting, though learning to breathe properly definitely would.

Both develop skills and attitudes which are very useful in general.

Comment

When someone gives me something to train with, I often find my history coming up, my ego mind reacts before my aware/choosing self has an opportunity to respond. When that's the case, I'm blinded by my fear, and I'm interacting more with it than I am with the reality of what the training partner is offering me. I think most of us will agree (regardless of our style or background) that it's preferable to fight/work-with the reality of the situation rather than our projections about it. My meditation practice has helped (but still has a long ways to go) me let go of the strategies of the conditioned / habitual-mind and allowed me to work more fully with the reality of the present moment and what's being offered to train/fight/work-with in that moment.

Comment

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...31#post2676931

Some work I did similar on the subject, I think. Moving meditation, in the moment, flow, the now etc etc.
                              Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X