12 year old Black Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 year old Black Belts

What do we think of 12 year old Karate Black Belts? Someone I work with has just told me his nephew got his the other week and I dont think I can keep my mouth shut for much longer.

We think they're unlikely to hold the martial prowess that most non-martial artists associate with the idea of a black-belt.

Comment

WHAT THE... wait wait wait, you're trolling, right?

Comment

Much like everybody here I think that a 12 year old is silly. But the cause is pretty plain to see. It seems most enroll a kid in Karate, Taekwondo, or Kung fu when they are around 6-8 years old and working 6 years (In theory) Is enough time to earn a black belt and if the instructor just dosen't give the kid a belt for 3 years the kid might quit, which hurts the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by judoist View Post
          WHAT THE... wait wait wait, you're trolling, right?
          No i'm not trolling. I've just told the guy that I don't agree with 12 year old black belts and now he wants to know why. Rather than point him towards Bullshido I wanted to give him a really good answer

Comment

Originally posted by bigstu31s View Post
            I've just told the guy that I don't agree with 12 year old black belts and now he wants to know why.
            Does he want to know why you said that to him, or does he want to know why you don't think 12 year old kids should be awarded black belts?

Comment

Um, I don't what the problem is? If someone completes the requirements for their style, shouldn't they earn the same reward as everyone else regardless of their age? Martial arts aren't just for physically fit adults, you know. They're for old people, young people, fat people, handicap people, black people, and everyone in between.

Comment

The problem is that belt grades, especially black-belt and above carry with them the suggestion that the wearer is very proficient in combat while using their martial art. I find it hard to believe a 12 year old kid could be so skilled as to achieve a full Black Belt at a legitimate school.

Perhaps the kid has a children's black-belt, in which case the distinction is clearly, Black-Belt level for a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmai View Post
                  The problem is that belt grades, especially black-belt and above carry with them the suggestion that the wearer is very proficient in combat while using their martial art. I find it hard to believe a 12 year old kid could be so skilled as to achieve a full Black Belt at a legitimate school.

Perhaps the kid has a children's black-belt, in which case the distinction is clearly, Black-Belt level for a kid.
                  Playing devils advocat here but a 12 year old kid could be proficient in combat against other 12 year old kids, surely that would make him a legit black belt

Comment

Playing devils advocat here but a 12 year old kid could be proficient in combat against other 12 year old kids, surely that would make him a legit black belt
                    In my opinion this is where children's Black-Belts come in.

Comment

No i'm not trolling. I've just told the guy that I don't agree with 12 year old black belts and now he wants to know why. Rather than point him towards Bullshido I wanted to give him a really good answer
                      He asking because we have entire threads dealing with this very question. He's laughing at you because you've been here since 2006 and forgot about the search function.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                        He asking because we have entire threads dealing with this very question. He's laughing at you because you've been here since 2006 and forgot about the search function.
                        The search function brought up lots of threads on this matter but I just wanted a quick definitive answer. I guess i'm lazy rather than trolling

Comment

Your "devil advocate" and original question where answered early in most of those threads. Probably in the same amount of time it took you to write the OP and your current responses.

Comment

A good answer?

As a martial arts instructor for over 20 years, 18 years actually teaching young children, let me answer this:

A child's capability and cognative awareness is not fully developed at this time. I have awarded blackbelts under the age of 16. These were junior blackbelts. Usually these kids are with me for 6 years or more before I even contemplate allowing them to test. My daughter has been training for nearly 7 years now and she's not ready. I look at blackbelts under two different metaphors.

1. It's like a drivers license. Can I teach a child to drive and pass the test? Absolutely, that doesn't mean I'm going to give them that responsibility.

2. It's like getting a high school diploma, just enough education to get by in life. Can a child graduate through high school? Absolutely but they are few and far between.

So a child can kick high; sign them up for ballet. Would you like me to be a little more detailed or will this suffice?

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                              Would you like me to be a little more detailed or will this suffice?
                              A little more detailed would be nice but thanks so far

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X