No announcement yet.

BJJ Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a powerbomb, which Omega mentioned* earlier. No way in hell a move like this is legal in any kind of BJJ or freestyle wresting tournament.

This is a powerslam.

There's no way you can tell me that such a thing is legal in freestyle wrestling. Shit, if that's true, you might as well be telling me that guys can bring steel chairs for moonsaults because they're totally legal too.

*mentioned as not being a legal move which is, of course, correct.

Comment

As far as I know, the "no slam"-rule in the BJJ rulebook applies specifically to picking up your opponent while you're in his guard and then slamming him back down. I have never ever heard any other explanation of it in rules meetings, I have never heard that throws that involve slamming are illegal, the rulebook contains no details on the criteria for a throw to be illegal... so as far as I'm concerned, the move in the original post is perfectly legal, just like a power slam or a power bomb would be. I remember being slammed heartily at a NAGA tournament (which has rules mostly analogous to IBJJF)... so, for those claiming it's illegal, would you please point me to some actual documents?
      There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

Originally posted by Beatdown Richie View Post
        As far as I know, the "no slam"-rule in the BJJ rulebook applies specifically to picking up your opponent while you're in his guard and then slamming him back down. I have never ever heard any other explanation of it in rules meetings, I have never heard that throws that involve slamming are illegal, the rulebook contains no details on the criteria for a throw to be illegal... so as far as I'm concerned, the move in the original post is perfectly legal, just like a power slam or a power bomb would be. I remember being slammed heartily at a NAGA tournament (which has rules mostly analogous to IBJJF)... so, for those claiming it's illegal, would you please point me to some actual documents?
        Only from experience. Seen the disqualification. Give me a few and I'll find the NAGA rule.

Comment

NAGA rules are close to IBJJF? *blink*

Anyway... the new IBJJF rules do not disallow these sort of high-impact throws but I have seen DQs and the argument is always that the take down has to occur in a smooth motion. Meaning if you pick someone up to dump them on their head it is fine as long as there is not a pause where you have the person elevated in the air and hold them there before doing so (or even worse using the stopping of the throw to allow you to jump into it to increase the impact)

Comment

Originally posted by Raging Monkey View Post
            NAGA rules are close to IBJJF? *blink*

Anyway... the new IBJJF rules do not disallow these sort of high-impact throws but I have seen DQs and the argument is always that the take down has to occur in a smooth motion. Meaning if you pick someone up to dump them on their head it is fine as long as there is not a pause where you have the person elevated in the air and hold them there before doing so (or even worse using the stopping of the throw to allow you to jump into it to increase the impact)
            This is what I have seen. What may be happening amongst us is also a mix in terminology. I'm grouping many different things into the word "slam". So technically you guys may be correct and we're talking about two different techniques that still end with DQ.

Also I'm with Raging Monkey; I've never found NAGA and IBJJF rules to be close, but I'm more familiar to NAGA no gi rules so I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
              This is what I have seen. What may be happening amongst us is also a mix in terminology. I'm grouping many different things into the word "slam". So technically you guys may be correct and we're talking about two different techniques that still end with DQ.
              I suppose we need to have input from an official IBBJF referee. And then hope that all refs share his interpretation...

Also I'm with Raging Monkey; I've never found NAGA and IBJJF rules to be close, but I'm more familiar to NAGA no gi rules so I could be wrong.
              I just looked at the NAGA rules page: http://nagafighter.com/index.php?module=rulepage
              and they have a section specifically for "NAGA BJJ Gi rules that differ from that of the IBJJF". It covers stuff like rash guards, cups and gi colors... and not much else.
              There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

Good on NAGA for finally getting their crazy rules in line with the IBJJF.

Comment

Naga has rules? #trollface

Yeah their gi rules are not up to date with current IBJJF standard. Which the new rules suck btw. Deregulation!!!!!!!

Comment

not in the rulebook

i am no ibjjf referee but as a competitor standpoint, the referee should protect the well being of the practitioners.
                    even tho there's not much info about power slamming your opponent, the referee should take the safety of the practitioners as first priority.

ibjjf rules from the website was written in portugese, translated into english by brazilians and never updated. there are minor rules change every year but the rules written in english has never been updated since day one. best is to ask ibjjf certified referees.

has anyone seen the 2012 euros? there seems to be more calls on pushing your opponent out the fighting area while standing.

Comment

Originally posted by chinamantt View Post
                      i am no ibjjf referee but as a competitor standpoint, the referee should protect the well being of the practitioners.
                      even tho there's not much info about power slamming your opponent, the referee should take the safety of the practitioners as first priority.

ibjjf rules from the website was written in portugese, translated into english by brazilians and never updated. there are minor rules change every year but the rules written in english has never been updated since day one. best is to ask ibjjf certified referees.

has anyone seen the 2012 euros? there seems to be more calls on pushing your opponent out the fighting area while standing.
                      There were more calls on a lot of shit this year and they weren't consistent. I even saw a call were a blue was told he couldn't pull on the head during a triangle which is perfectly legal.

Personally I don't like the new IBJJF rules. I believe Blue and Purples should be able do kneebars. Also browns and blacks should be able to almost any submission or takedown within reason. The no cup rule is fucking ridiculous!!!!!! Just by $5 opinion. Still I got shinny medals!!!
                      ______
                      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Ki-ai View Post
                        Hello, I am a BJJ Blue Belt from Stockholm Sweden. A friend of mine competed in the recent European Open Championships but was sadly eliminated in the first round. His opponent did a few things that I thought was reason for disqualification. Could you guys tell me why I am wrong. The referee is the headreferee for the European Championships so it is probably me who doesn't understand the rules.

It's the fight between White and Blue (My guy)

I thought:

That you are disqualified if you slam (twice)

That you lose two points when warned the second time

Slams happen at around 2:20
                        Personally, If it was me I wouldn't call those as slams.
                        ______
                        Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                        -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Beatdown Richie View Post
                          I suppose we need to have input from an official IBBJF referee. And then hope that all refs share his interpretation...

I just looked at the NAGA rules page: http://nagafighter.com/index.php?module=rulepage
                          and they have a section specifically for "NAGA BJJ Gi rules that differ from that of the IBJJF". It covers stuff like rash guards, cups and gi colors... and not much else.
                          You need your belt changed, sandbagger!!!!
                          ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Comment

Nobody cares about your opinion fag. What medals did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                              Nobody cares about your opinion fag. What medals did you get?
                              Who is this Nobody and why does he want me to hurt him for not caring?

Those shinny medals are for 1st place in both Ultra Heavy and Absolute Brown Belt old man division.
                              ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Gezere View Post
                                Who is this Nobody and why does he want me to hurt him for not caring?

Those shinny medals are for 1st place in both Ultra Heavy and Absolute Brown Belt old man division.
                                So now you're an old fat ass. Got it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X