Boxing/Judo or Boxing/Kali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing/Judo or Boxing/Kali

I've been doing boxing for awhile now. Once I get around 2years more training done I want to try out a new cheap and effect martial arts.

Which would be a more well rounded combination for civilian self defense? Boxing and Kali, or Boxing and Judo/wrestling?

Am I asking the right question to begin with?
    Thank you for reading.

For civilian self-defensive the best is situational awareness.
    Not being there when the shit hits the fan is still the best self-defense.

The second one is running and it's also good for your cardio.

The third is carrying a weapon...and having more than enough training to use it correctly.
    But laws may vary in the places where you live, so learn about them first.

The fourth is empty hand self-defense.
    Personally I would suggest to add Judo to your Boxing:
    - It's a great add-on to Boxing
    - In a lot of fights, there will be grabbing and clinching besides boxing.
    - Is it legal to carry a hidden telescope baton or knife where you live?
    - Judo is a part of you, so it's impossible that an attacker can take it from you and use it against you (this can be applied to weapons)
    - Great fun to train and you don't need to adapt the techniques to be "street ready"
    - records of teachers are easely verifiable (takes only one telephone call to the US Judo to know).

Hope that this helps.
    Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Originally posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Comment

For self defense? Neither. Add short distance track, hurdles, steeplechase, rugby, or American football instead.
      Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
      "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
      Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
      Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
      Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
      Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
      Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
      I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
      TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
      ATTN TOM KAGAN
      World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
      Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
      I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
      Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

It's not cool to talk here about stuff like that (probably because it was talked to death) so it will be hard for you to get strait answers.
        Boxing as you should know is great, and totally applicable to the street especially if you condition your hands without raps and gloves once or twice a week. I think Judo will be a great application that will help with your balance, break falls and rolling. If someone grabs your jaket while you fight, judo will come in handy! Do some judo, just choose a place where they ease into things so you don't get injured.

Comment

Rene has summarized it perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by erezb View Post
            If someone grabs your jaket while you fight, judo will come in handy! Do some judo, just choose a place where they ease into things so you don't get injured.
            Do you know what else comes in handy when someone grabs your jacket? Punching them in the face and clobbering them with a stick - also options for which this guy seems inclined.

(Fucking Judo nutriders ... *grumble*)
            Last edited by Tom Kagan; 1/26/2012 12:08pm, .
            "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
            ATTN TOM KAGAN

Comment

Although as correctly noted by the above posters, situational awareness and running are your two best self defense options, both judo and kali will provide skills that would be useful in an altercation, provided that they are taught by reputable instructors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kagan View Post
                Do you know what else comes in handy when someone grabs your jacket? Punching them in the face and clobbering them with a stick - also options for which this guy seems inclined.

(Fucking Judo nutriders ... *grumble*)
                Punching is something he already does. And carrying a stick is not always possible (if I go out to party, I can't be carrying anything or bouncers won't let me in). So yeah, it's not about nut-riding at all ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ShouBox View Post
                  Once I get around 2years more training done I want to try out a new cheap and effect martial arts.
                  Not to be mean, but it's basically impossible for anyone to give you an answer of what will be good in 2 years.
                  Do you know where you'll live in 2 years? what your financial situation is gonna be like? family stuff? wife, kids? college loans, tuition stuff.
                  Also, how would you know what is available near you 2 years from now.

So honestly, just enjoy Boxing, it's awesome. If and when you want to add something to that, then start looking and trying out different options, then you'll be more than welcomed to ask for advice here, where people will gladly help you. That's my advice.

Other than that, yeah, Zendokan was basically spot on, with the addition that when choosing a MA, the best thing to do is to try out the product in as many options, and then decide what's best for you. Factoring quality, preference, distance and a bunch of other things.
                  Keep boxing, and keep training.

Comment

I personally would tell you Boxing/Judo. Kali is a good alternative because if the style you're learning teaches panantukan and dumog, you'll learn no-gi throws and you'll improve your striking.

TBH, if you go to a good Kali school, you'll learn boxing there also.

Comment

Originally posted by Prone View Post
                      So yeah, it's not about nut-riding at all ;)

Yes, yes it is.

Here is Zendokan's response in a nutshell: "A weapon is better than Judo, but I'm going to share with you how I rationalize a suggestion of Judo."

Every other Judo nutrider in this thread: "OMG, do Judo, Judo, Judo ... do judo... did I mention judo? Zendokan's post about Judo was awesome."

He asked about SELF DEFENSE. Empty hands is at the bottom of the list and the OP already covers that with boxing. Situational awareness, running, and WEAPONS (his other choice) are icky when a Judo nutrider is around. Nah, don't train those when Judo has a nine inch penis you can suck. I'm sure you view the stupid "what if" games as some sort of reach-around, too.

ATTN TOM KAGAN

Comment

That was fucking uncalled for and totally out of line. I try to handle ppl with respect - even on the net but this is bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kagan View Post
                          Yes, yes it is.

Here is Zendokan's response in a nutshell: "A weapon is better than Judo, but I'm going to share with you how I rationalize a suggestion of Judo."

Every other Judo nutrider in this thread: "OMG, do Judo, Judo, Judo ... do judo... did I mention judo? Zendokan's post about Judo was awesome."

He asked about SELF DEFENSE. Empty hands is at the bottom of the list and the OP already covers that with boxing. Situational awareness, running, and WEAPONS (his other choice) are icky when a Judo nutrider is around. Nah, don't train those when Judo has a nine inch penis you can suck. I'm sure you view the stupid "what if" games as some sort of reach-around, too.
                          Well you misread my explination or I didn't explain it very well:

I said that situational awareness is the number one skill in a self-defense situation, namely not being there when the trouble breaks out.

If that couldn't be avoided and the OP finds himself in a sticky situation, the best thing is that he choses running as the viable option instead of confronting his assaillants.

If running isn't also an option, then he has to go to his third option: using a weapon, but since I don't know where the OP lives, I also don't know if carrying a fireweapon in public is legal.
                          Add to it that in some countries carrying a concealed knife/telescope baton can have the same gravity before court as carrying a concealed fireweapon, he should first check with the laws in his state or country before walking around with any type of concealed weapon.

So only after that the three previous options can't be done, only than it's time to use some empty hand to defend yourself.
                          Now the OP asked about Kali or Judo...while both can be great to supplement Boxing, the first stage of learning Kali is blunt and edged weapons before learning empty hand techniques, so this can conflict with option 3.
                          So I recommended Judo and gave some benefits why doing Judo is good/can be fun.

So where is the nutriding as the OP asked for Kali and Judo to supplement his Boxing and I said that it should only be used in self-defense as option 4 AFTER option 1 to 3 didn't work?
                          Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
                          You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
                          Originally posted by Humanzee
                          ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
                          Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
                          It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
                          The real deadly:

Comment

Originally posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
                            So where is the nutriding as the OP asked for Kali and Judo to supplement his Boxing and I said that it should only be used in self-defense as option 4 AFTER option 1 to 3 didn't work?
                            "So even though kali trains weapons and I put weapons at #3, this is why you should instead train another #4: judo is awesome..."

I read what you wrote.

ATTN TOM KAGAN

Comment

Originally posted by Prone View Post
                              That was fucking uncalled for and totally out of line. I try to handle ppl with respect - even on the net but this is bullshit.
                              Sorry, but your feelings are not considered when it comes to amusement.

ATTN TOM KAGAN

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X