Amerikicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amerikicks

So I have extremely limited experience in what most would consider martial arts-my background is fencing- but have wanted to try something a little different after a post collegiate training slump. I recently saw a groupon for a place called amerikicks not far from where I live that seemed very affordable, at least for a couple of months of lessons. Would anybody here be able to let me know if they are legit/provide quality instruction? I understand that this is pretty much the place to ask about this sort of thing. Thanks!

This place: amerikick dot com? The website makes them look pretty much 100% McDojo.

What are you looking for out of martial arts?

EDIT: Dammit, don't go to the website. Looks like it's been hacked, could have malicious code on it.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 12/28/2011 12:45pm, .

Comment

i could wait for you to respond to crackfox's question about what you are looking for in martial arts, but instead i'm going to tell you to just go do judo, since you are used to a cardio intensive, competitive sport already with fencing.

there's probably a judo dojo near you that is cheaper than TKD and will be better in every way.
      "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
      "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
      "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
      "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

As Crackfox said the first thing to ask yourself is what do you want out of it? I have to say the name "amerikicks" sends shivers down my spine. But, if you must know go check it out. Watch a class, speak with the instructors. Is the head instructor wearing a stars and stripes gi and a black belt with 15 stripes going up each side sitting in his office drinking coffee while his senior student teaches? If so turn around and walk out. If everything looks legit ask the instructor some questions about his MA back ground. What style does he teach? If he say's American Karate (which could be a red flag) ask what style it's rooted in. Ask what his lineage is. Who was his instructor? Who was his instructors instructor? Is the school associated with any national or international organizations? What are the instructors qualifications? Going back to my first point (sorry A.D.D.) What do you want out of it? If you want flashy kicks, cardio, and point sparring then Tae Kwon Do is what you want. If you want a more hard style with more focus on tradition, weapons, light-full contact sparring, and real world application, Okinawan styles like, Kyokushin, Shorin Ryu, Goju Ryu and even Isshin Ryu (if you can find a school that focuses on the art and not the politics) would be a good choice. If you want straight tried and tested self defense and body conditioning, BJJ, Judo, and some qualified MMA schools would be the way to go. Most schools, clubs, and dojos will let you take a class for free to try it out. I would try one of each until you find your fit. Hope this helps. All the best!

Comment

What I'm primarily looking for is a place with quality instruction in a stand up martial art/sport that I can compete in- Judo would be ideal in terms of the competitive aspect except that I'd rather do a striking art. Amerikicks advertised on groupon as a chain of martial arts studios/gyms, some of which provide kickboxing, which was the source of the original interest.
          I'm not interested in the weapons aspect of a martial art, either.
          I was hoping for someone who was able to make a statement based on a personal encounter rather than hearsay, though their website is doing a good job of persuading me not to attend. Simply going for a day-long trial wouldn't be very helpful, IMO, simply because I don't know what to look for in terms of quality beyond avoiding caricatures. If somebody from the SNJ/Philly area can provide an opinion, that would be nice.

Comment

if you want a striking art and don't have the experience to tell a bad school from a good one, then go join a local boxing gym that coaches competitive amateur and hopefully pro fighters.

especially in philly you should be able to get some very good instruction, and if after a year or more you feel like you would like to add kicking, then you will have a solid foundation in punching, and defense, and will also know what to look for in a coach.

boxing is usually very affordable, and the boxing gym i used to train at also had coaches who would teach kickboxing.

since you are starting from scratch here, you would be best served by going to a no-nonsense place and getting some solid fundamentals under your belt, because a foundation in boxing has never been a bad thing for *any* fighter. as a former kung fu teacher, i was always thrilled to get new students with boxing experience, anyone that tells you that boxing will teach you bad habits doesn't know what they are talking about.
            "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
            "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
            "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
            "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Ming has a very good suggestion. It may be exactly what you are looking for. I lived in and around Philly for years. There are few good full contact dojos in the area. There was a Kyokushin practitioner/instructor in Princeton named Dent that taught from his basement. I heard very good things about him but unfortunately all I know is his last name and where he lived. I haven't been in the area in about 7 years though so maybe something popped up.

Comment

I'm in the Philly area and very familiar with Amerikick. They are in my opinion, the definition of a McDojo. They have all of the pre-requisites - colorful uniforms, music during their "kata," 16 year old kids who have been "black belts" since they were 6, teaching class.

That being said, I have a friend who knows teaching and athletics and he is very happy with his daughter training there. I couldn't do it. And as far as I know, they don't have adult karate. They do kickboxing or some watered down MMA. I pass by there after I have just laid it out training in karate for an hour and a half and then BJJ for another hour. I see boxing gloves with no headgear, and water filled bags. I think you would find the same instruction at your local gym's aerobics room.

I invite you to check out my school. www.kissaki-usa.com We are Shotokan base with Judo and Jiu Jitsu mixed in. There is an focus on finidng application in techniques. We are in Marlton, just a few minutes from the bridges. All classes are taught by 6, 7, or 8th Dan. Our instructors have lineage in the ISKF under Nakayama. Sensei Vince Morris teaches often and he is excellent. We also train MMA fighters and roll BJJ. We try to have a complete martial artist.

To be fair, there are also some other great schools around. Professor Bongiorno's BJJ school in Berlin is excellent. I am lucky enough to be able to roll with many of his students often.

As I've been training in the area since 1988, I've seen a lot of schools come and go. Amerikick is very successful. Great marketing, not great MA.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X