Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Local guy Dies sparring

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Former Local guy Dies sparring

    http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-coun...igating_1.html

    #2
    Posting a thread with nothing other than a link is specifically forbidden in our Terms of Service in all forums except Trollshido.
    Shut the hell up and train.

    Comment


      #3
      Sorry.

      Comment


        #4
        No. Dan and Boby sparring was at a reputable place, where there were other people present, there was video, and semi-reffing.

        Also, two days as opposed to one? You are stretching to make these anywhere close to being connected.

        Comment


          #5
          Is it possible that those two guys died from having sex with each other an unhealthy amount of times in a 2 day period?

          I mean, why else would guys off the internet meet?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
            No. Dan and Boby sparring was at a reputable place, where there were other people present, there was video, and semi-reffing.

            Also, two days as opposed to one? You are stretching to make these anywhere close to being connected.
            You're right. I meant if Dan was a little more brave and Bobby was less of a nice guy with a few more pounds on him, things like this could go sideways

            Comment


              #7
              Former Local guy Dies sparring

              http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...PAGE?p=1&tc=pg

              Sad to see. Apparently met up with some guy, went and visited in Vancouver, sparred, went out drinking, woke up and sparred again, died.

              Article isn't big on details but I'm guessing it was the boxing that killed him. Sounds like the usual pattern.

              Anyone ever heard of this website he found his partner on?
              "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
              1) That it doesn't work
              2) That it does work"
              -Animal MacYoung

              Comment


                #8
                According to bloodyelbow (who quoted some Oregon news site) it was allfighters dot com.

                Just looked at the throwdown and sparring meet-ups forum. Do we have any general safety "how do sparring" threads that could be stickied there?

                Investigators are looking into the death of a Chicago man who died after a two-day series of sparring matches with a Vancouver man he met in an online chat room.

                Salvador Flamenco, 38, came to Vancouver on Dec. 15 after arranging the fights with the unidentified Vancouver resident through a website, www.allfighters.com, said Sgt. Scott Creager of the Vancouver Police Department. The pair decided to spar at the Vancouver man's home.

                The two men fought that day and the next, but after the second day of boxing, Flamenco started complaining of dizziness and nausea, Creager said. The symptoms became more severe and by the time paramedics arrived, Flamenco had begun losing consciousness.
                ...
                After an autopsy, the Clark County Medical Examiner's Office said Flamenco died of blunt-force injuries and ruled the death a homicide, prompting an investigation by police.
                Last edited by MrJ; 12/24/2011 1:15pm, . Reason: add how do sparring safety sticky proposal

                Comment


                  #9
                  http://mmajunkie.com/news/26652/foll...ateur-bout.mma

                  In an attempt to escape a standing rear naked choke via face planting his opponent amateur fighter Jeff Dunbar miscalculates and has the full weight of both participants impact his spine.

                  He is only 20 years old and will apparently be paralyzed for life. This same technique was used in the Huerta Guida fight if I remember right.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Rudenoodle View Post
                    http://mmajunkie.com/news/26652/foll...ateur-bout.mma

                    In an attempt to escape a standing rear naked choke via face planting his opponent amateur fighter Jeff Dunbar miscalculates and has the full weight of both participants impact his spine.

                    He is only 20 years old and will apparently be paralyzed for life. This same technique was used in the Huerta Guida fight if I remember right.
                    Let this be a lesson: Crappling Kills.
                    The fool thinks himself immortal,
                    If he hold back from battle;
                    But old age will grant him no truce,
                    Even if spears spare him.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Dunbar's coach said he never taught him that. I wonder why the coach didn't warn him at some point. It's been known that head dives are dangerous. They're banned in Judo, and that's one of the first things I learned.

                      Eitherway, that's just sad as hell.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The common sense lesson is that I have done way more damage to myself and my body trying to get out of situations where I wasn't really totally sure what was happening but decided to move anyway. Unless it's life or death, fuck it.
                        "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
                        1) That it doesn't work
                        2) That it does work"
                        -Animal MacYoung

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Sorekara View Post
                          Dunbar's coach said he never taught him that. I wonder why the coach didn't warn him at some point. It's been known that head dives are dangerous. They're banned in Judo, and that's one of the first things I learned.

                          Eitherway, that's just sad as hell.
                          My guess would be that his coach hoped that if he showed him some correct defenses to that attack that he would actually use those instead of trying something so dumb and dangerous. Unfortunately people sometimes, especially if not very experienced or young/dumb/full of testosterone, are going to "freelance" and try something crazy they saw in the UFC or on some youtube video.

                          Very sad especially at his age.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X