Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Shaolin Kool-Aide and Appeal to authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
    You haven't named one.
    I named 3 people. Look them up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSERVICE View Post
      You haven't named one.

Originally posted by Ice Hole View Post
      Name one master forced to leave China.

If you can, we can see how far that rabbit hole goes.
      You named documentaries get the names of the Masters.

Comment

Please articulate how everything I have said is false. Simply stating "I asked myself" doesn't fly here.

Comment

Getting ready for work gentlemen. Until then, have a good night.
          Hugs and Kisses

Sincerely,
          Jason C.

Comment

By the way, can anyone tell me how to change my profle picture? I've been clicking the "edit profile" button for over 15 minutes... lol

Just keep trying, it will work eventually.
            2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
            #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

Comment

@Permalost
              So would yours.
              I don't do kung fu anymore, so...yes? The point was that you can't say that if you weren't there, you don't know and then use what your teacher told you as the truth about what happened hundreds of years ago.

There is a method where one's views on history carry more weight than alternate views. It's called consulting historians.

Comment

So where does "TheService" get off being an authority on the subject. I'm a bit offended by his arrogance.

Comment

But my question was so straight and to the point:

Name one master forced to leave China.
                  You named a pair of film directors (not forced out of China), a documentary, and a guy who lived in China until 1981.

My own masters and style ancestors were not forced out of China, in fact, their schools' lineages have survived in China at least the 19th century through the PRC to the present day.

Maybe you can see why your story seems fantastical.
                  Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/19/2011 7:40pm, .

Comment

Please articulate how everything I have said is false.
                    Show me where I said these words: "everything I have said is false."

Simply stating "I asked myself" doesn't fly here.
                    Oh wow was that to subtle for you?

Originally posted by Thesuffrage
                    By the way, did ask your sifu or sigung for any validation of what I have said so far or are you just going to ignore the question?
                    Okay here let me dumb it down for you.

Sigung: I am one.
                    Sifu: I am one.

So, I asked myself.

Comment

Please articulate how everything I have said is false. Simply stating "I asked myself" doesn't fly here.
                      OK, you registered here in August and have 17 posts at the time of this post. So please explain to me how the hell you know what does, and doesn't fly around here.

But to answer your post here. Something you have said that is false is that "Simply stating 'I asked myself' doesn't fly here" is false. The reason is because you set up a criteria of someone to ask a question to. The question was asked to someone who matched your criteria. By definition, exactly what you asked to be done, was done. It is your own fault that you made assumptions about the answer.

But if you took the time to look at people's profiles, you may not be acting in such ignorance in the future.
                      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                        So where does "TheService" get off being an authority on the subject. I'm a bit offended by his ignorance.
                        See what I did there.
                        安氏八极拳学生

Comment

Please look up the documentaries of Shaw Brothers, Needle Through Brick, and Shou Yu Liang.
                          During Mao's "Cultural Revolution" (somewhere during the late 40's to probably mid 60's) many of the masters had to escape/go into hiding as the practice and teaching of the martial arts, along with religios practices, were banned under the new communist regime leading to lots and lots of people to be incarcerated and/or killed.
                          You are a moron. If your going to make statements like the one above at least get some of your facts straight. The cultural revolution began in 1966 and was declared over by Mao Ze Dong in 1971, although many scholars list it as being over in I believe 1976 with the arrest of the Gang of Four.

Martial arts practices weren't banned, if that were the case how would CMA have survived to the present day? Restricted yes, closely watched yes, used as propaganda tools for the communist party yes. Banned, not really.

Your statement that masters escaped around the globe is also a little naive. You sound like you would have us believe that all the great masters fled or were killed. Fact is some masters did flee, to Taiwan because they were part of the Guomingdang. Others did flee to the safety of other nations with a large number of them passing through Taiwan.

Now my master lived in China during the cultural revolution, was a member of the military and was the student of Huo Qing Yun, one of Emperor Pu Yi's bodyguards. If anyone would have been killed off it would of been him just for his association with someone connected to the last Emperor. Guess what he wasn't, guess what else neither was Huo Qing Yun.

What's really cool is he showed me a picture that he took from that time. An old black and white photo of Mao Ze Dong's wife, a member of the gang of four, being arrested by a friend of his.
                          安氏八极拳学生

Comment

Please look up the documentaries of Shaw Brothers
                            I don't mean to suggest anything uncomfortable, but I don't think those were documentaries.
                            sigpic

Comment

Please look up the documentaries of Shaw Brothers, Needle Through Brick, and Shou Yu Liang.
                              During Mao's "Cultural Revolution" (somewhere during the late 40's to probably mid 60's) many of the masters had to escape/go into hiding as the practice and teaching of the martial arts, along with religios practices, were banned under the new communist regime leading to lots and lots of people to be incarcerated and/or killed.
                              Ummm....what?

The Cultural Revolution in China began in 1966, not the mid 1940's. Mao stated that it ended in 1969, but historians place it late than that as it's programs were still actively pursued until, IIRC, 1975(6?), when the Gang of Four were removed from power.

I don't think that a lot of masters had to flee for their lives. There's a book called 'Iron and Silk' written by Mark Salzman, who taught English in China from 1982-1984. During those two years, he spent a great deal of time learning martial arts...from sword arts to Tai Chi to Wu Shu; in fact, he learned Wu Shu from one of China's most notable masters, Pan Quingfu. Pan himself was said to, as a young man, to have sought out the 10 best Wu Shu masters, so that he could learn from the best. That being said, I doubt that that many masters were fleeing in terror from China. I'd speculate that some might have, especially those whose ideologies conflicted with the regime at that time, but you make it sound like it was a regular Exodus.

EDIT: Should have read farther before I replied. Ronin.74 already caught the historical error. Sorry for the repeat.
                              Last edited by FinalLegion; 12/20/2011 4:52am, . Reason: Grammar Nazi, declaration of repeat.

Comment

Thanks TheSERVICE.

Now I feel better about getting all my Chinese history from watching 'Hero'.
                                sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                                "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X