10th Planet Bjj Ye or Ne?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnp View Post
    Say what? I don't think "lockdown" is an advanced technique, nor do I believe there's anything wrong with beginners utilizing it. I use it to stretch my opponent out and away from me to set up half guard sweeps.

Occasionally, I'll use it to fend off a half-guard upper body sub attempt since that inevitably involves them moving up toward your head to gain leverage and the lockdown helps prevent this.

Any technique can be over used. That's where the instructor's guidance becomes important.
    The only thing advanced about lockdown is the ability to let the damn thing go and stop stalling once it becomes apparent that it's not happening. :D

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
      Well, I certainly didn't mean that still "wet behind the ears" beginners should. In my opinion, most of us are beginners for the first two years of grappling. I think it's fine to introduce the lockdown technique after a year or so of training. Provided the technique is taught in context. Use it to set up a sweep or hold someone off until you can get to a better position.

Please note that the lockdown is the only 10th planet technique that I feel this applies to. Everything else they use that I've seen, I would advise avoiding until either purple belt in BJJ level, or someone whose fundamentals are extremely solid.

Edit: If I recall correctly, the "lockdown" isn't actually a 10th planet technique. They just popularized it, the same as the rubber guard itself.
      No it isn't. I've been using the "lockdown" before Bravo started grappling (I think*talking out the side of my face now)

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
        No it isn't. I've been using the "lockdown" before Bravo started grappling (I think*talking out the side of my face now)
        If I recall correctly, it can be found in an 1950's era book about Judo technique. I might be wrong, but I believe the same can be said concerning the gogoplata.
        Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

I've seen the Lockdown in old Judo stuff, but the gogoplata? For reals? I would be absolutely blown away to see some stuffy old school judoka busting that out. Take that judoforums!

Comment

Originally posted by Kintanon View Post
            I've seen the Lockdown in old Judo stuff, but the gogoplata? For reals? I would be absolutely blown away to see some stuffy old school judoka busting that out. Take that judoforums!

*Edit: Kagato Jime

Comment

That is fucking EPIC.
              Need to see more of that in Judo.

Comment

For the record, yes, the lockdown is directly credited by Eddie to Judo. He also will openly tell people that the Twister is something he first learned in wrestling. In both cases he took techniques that work for his style and built up part of his game around them.

So, in short, no the lockdown is not purely a 10th planet technique, it just happens to be a bigger part of our system than others (or at least was until other systems started using it more as well).

Comment

Update

I'm the noob that started this thread and I got a chance to go visit the 10th planet in my area. I arrived late becaue I passed a couple of streets because I was not familiar. When I arrived they were already warmed up and working on a position called the truck. The head coach was not there but his assistants were. I over heard them say they were blue belts because the gym was young. I told him I was a gi guy and was a fan of there books and videos. I told him I traned once a week nogi. He acted as though they were expecting me, but I'm pretty sure he thought I was some one else, but I played along just in case I wouldn't otherwise be allowed to join. The truck position was new to me although I had seen it in the twister book. I never had any success with it, but the instructor was very good at the move and showed me some details which helped me. When we got to free roll I did well against the other students because they were all new some on there first couple weeks. There was a little hispanic who gave me fits. I couldn't RNC for the life of me and he couldn't have weighed more then 130. The two instructors did very well against me. I took his back but later he mounted me and the foot came around my head like a whip and he got me in a top side triangle. I fought it for a while but he got me. The smaller instructor did almost the same thing to me except he went into rubber guard and when I tried to stack him he put me in chil dog, kung fu move, to jiu claw. I tried to through him off my shoulders and he triangled me and went to a sub called the tee pee which he showed me after wards. Its more of a crank and wish I tapped earlier cause my neck was so soar in the morning. I had a lot of fun and may start going there once a month to supliment my game. I don't really fill like I brought my A game but next time I will see how I do. I really like there system because it's fun to do and unorthidox.

Comment

Maybe you'll take some English classes next and learn how to make paragraphs.

Comment

[QUOTE=Omega Supreme;2644536]Maybe you'll take some English classes next and learn how to make paragraphs.[/QU

Sorry. WILL DO.
                      Last edited by Cory@Camas; 12/17/2011 10:49pm, .

Comment

does Eddie "ZERO" Bravo means something to you? if dont, dont go in here.

Comment

Originally posted by DoomKnight View Post
                          does Eddie "ZERO" Bravo means something to you? if dont, dont go in here.
                          Seriously, what are you trying to say here. I can't make head or tails of this broken English.

Comment

Originally posted by crappler View Post
                            You have executed said moves against purple and brown belts successfully? Really?
                            Yes he has executed several sweeps on purple belts I have whitnessed! And even a few on Brown belts. That being said he is a two stripe blue belt in Gracie Jitz.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cory@Camas;2644558]
                              Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                              Maybe you'll take some English classes next and learn how to make paragraphs.[/QU

Sorry. WILL DO.
                              Dont lie to'em!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X