10th Planet Bjj Ye or Ne?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10th Planet Bjj Ye or Ne?

I train at at a Pedro Sauer Academy which focuses on gi trainig but does do no gi bjj a couple times a week. I have really took a liking to the 10th planet web sight and watch there webisodes mastering the system 5 or more times a piece and have had alot of success using there moves in live rolling and even in tournaments. The moves work with a gi and without. I have challenges applying rubber guard due to my lack of flexibility, but as long as my opponent isn't a big yoaky wresler I usually can do it. I recomend there web sight as a way to add unorthidox moves to your arsenol and for those who think there moves are easilly countered haven't took the time to look at all the options avaible from rubber guard, lockdown, and the truck. The trick is to try the moves on nubes in the gym or smaller guys before you attempt it on the gym stud get stuffed and decide it sucks. Thanks for reading this. I hope you check there sight out with an open mind.

Cory

Cory I'm not a fan of 10th planet Jiu Jitsu. Not that the technique doesn't work but that it's pretty much "Gimmick" Jiu Jitsu. I love competing against them. They're fairly predictable to counter. If you have a good foundation their is nothing wrong with adding the technique. As for using them as a base I have to give them a thumbs down.

Comment

Where do you live? What other options are available in your area? Maybe some of the bullies here can offer some suggestions on schools. I feel like many of the responses here will echo what Omega has already said including mine. However, I am pretty new to BJJ and grappling so I don't claim to know much. If you're not satisfied with Pedro Sauer BJJ i'd see what your other options are for grappling are in your area. Is 10th planet even offered near you?

What don't you like about Pedro Sauer BJJ? I train in a Sauer lineage gym and I enjoy the attention to self defense and standup techniques in the curriculum. May be a different grappling art would be better suited to what you want. Have you considered Judo or Sambo?

Comment

I also train in a PSBJJA gym and find it to be a great place to train. I, also, agree with Omega on 10th Planet to be "gimmicky." I like some of their half guard stuff, but most of the other is not useful for me(and I have a great deal of flexibility).

Its all fine and dandy to use some of the techniques, but please don't switch schools to 10th Planet.

Comment

Also a Pedro Association student here: Having good fundamentals seems to crush the 10th planet games. I'm going to guess that you are a blue or a white. Most purples and higher will smoke 10th planet practitioners.

NOTE: This is based on my experience in both gi and no-gi competition at blue and white level, and observation of purple belt matches.

Comment

I also enjoy competing against 10th planeteers as they're extremely predictable like Omega said. 10th planet attracts people because of their culture not so much their skill imo. Pedro Sauer's produced a lot of solid guys, it really just depends what you want out of your training.

Yup^^ Most of the time this is what happens. I either take them down or they pull guard. I pass into half, they lock down, I break lock down, pass, use their shrimp to mount or take their back. Choke or armbar.

Comment

Can someone elaborate on what makes it 'Gimmicky'? I'm a whitebelt so, you know...

Comment

Originally posted by 100xobm View Post
                Can someone elaborate on what makes it 'Gimmicky'? I'm a whitebelt so, you know...
                Rubberguard is very attribute-based. Most of their halfguard game is ok, it's just lockdown keeps your hips from being mobile. Most of their passes or certain setups are kooky. It's not horrible or totally crap. It's Eddie Bravo's game being portrayed as a style.

Comment

Originally posted by 100xobm View Post
                  It's also makes them easy to beat. They are so focused on their rubberguard that they focus on it to the exclusion of all else, especially at the lower levels. There's nothing better than controlling the ankles and passing to find no resistance when you land.

On top of that, it's susceptible to all the normal pressures of guard, and weak against my favorite pass. What more can you ask for?

Comment

Thanks for the advise Omega. It is not my foundation, but I find there moves as good additions especially for no gi. Some of there moves are not original at all but only renamed probably so in a tournament the opponent won't know what the coach is talking about.

Comment

I have know problem with my Pedro Sauer gym at all. I just wanted to shout out to 10th planet because I found alot of there moves to work well even against purple and brown belts. I like how Eddie explanes the different options depending on the opponents reactions and he also borrows alot of Marcello Garcia's moves like the x guard and passes. Check it out and let me know. You do got to skip past alot of comedy scits and stuff.

Comment

You have executed said moves against purple and brown belts successfully? Really?

Comment

I have a couple of Eddie's books and I've got to say that learning the lockdown and couple of his sweeps in isolation was a big mistake I made at early blue belt. I ended up killing my hip movement and delaying the development of my half guard game.

I have no doubt that if you train with Eddie himself he can point out better places to go from those positions but picking and choosing moves to add to a more traditional game can lead you to dead end streets.

Comment

They have to change their name to 9th Planet, since there are only 8 planets in the Solar System.

If that's wrong, who knows what the fuck is wrong with their BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                              They have to change their name to 9th Planet, since there are only 8 planets in the Solar System.

If that's wrong, who knows what the fuck is wrong with their BJJ.
                              Screw you! Pluto IS a planet! Goddamn scientists trying to steal Pluto's thunder.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X